Shout out to 2012 applicants!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, for those of you who reapplied and got accepted, do you have any recommendations as how to become a better candidate next year? Should I take higher level courses or just work and gain more health care hours? What were some of the recommendations you received from the admissions committee after finding out you were rejected?

so discouraged and feel lost. I cant really go back and change the past, so I just hope that that wont be their decision factor again next year. I don't know whether to look into other career options or to wait a whole year and face possible rejection again.. ugh I hate this feeling. I was really hoping to get into Wayne :(

MaryRose: I know you feel lost right now, but I'm sure things will pick up for you! Are there still more schools your are waiting to hear back from? I am not a re-applicant, but I did get accepted this cycle. A few things about myself that probably set me apart from others was that I was the secretary and then the President of my Pre-PA club at my undergrad university, I went on an International Service Learning trip to Costa Rica, was an MA for 2 summers at UofM, and I currently volunteer at a free clinic in downtown Grand Rapids once a week. My science GPA was 3.63 and overall GPA was 3.7. I know that WSU in particular really values community service and work in underserved communities. If this is what you truly want to do, I would not give up. The time will go by before you know it! Best of luck!

Maryrose: WSU was the first and only school I applied to so I never retook courses or anything like that but I will give you my stats so you can get an idea: I've done extensive volunteer work with the underserved over the course of many years, I was VP of a pre-PA society, I had a 3.65 GPA and a 3.9 sGPA, I was a home health aide for 1.5 years before getting a tech position in the surgical ICU at U of M. So I applied with technically only 600 hours HCE but that doesn't include the home health stuff. However, in those hours as an ICU tech I really applied myself and tried to learn everything I could. I think this helped with my confidence in the interview. Also, I prepped for the interview extensively. Even after all the prep I still fell a little flat in certain areas. But I still did well enough to get accepted. Your GPA is good enough if you retake anything you did poorly in. What are you doing for HCE? Don't give up. Contact WSU and ask them what went wrong and use their feedback to prep for next year. PM me and I'll giveyou a little more detail I you want. Don't give up!

Mary i retook a few courses because if the 6 year time limit, i also retook courses i took wayyyy back when I was younger, fresh in college, to improve my grades, i think as long as they see that your most recent courses are consistent good grades then that shouldnt be an issue if you retake...good luck!

Thank you so much guys! I so appreciate all the support and feedback. I can kinda see now why I was rejected. I really need to work on doing something extraordinary. For community service I volunteered at Open Hands Food Pantry a couple times and I volunteered at a kids summer camp at church (twice a week for about a month). I was not involved in our PA Society because I felt like I knew all that I needed to know about PAs and the programs, because of my relationship with the PA I shadowed, a current PA student, doing my own research, and other peers who had the same career goal. I work as a Nursing Assistant at Royal Oak Beaumont (I am in the nursing resource pool, so I get so much experience on various units, anywhere from the mother/baby unit to the ICU). At the time of application I had about 600 hours. I also volunteered at a medical assistant one summer, the physician was kind enough to give me hands on training so that I can get patient care hours (about 400 hours), and volunteer home health aide.

My overall GPA at the university was 3.41, but I believe the lowest GPA for the rereqs was probably a 3.5. I did the worst in chemistry, anything with chemistry killed me (including biochem). I loved my bio classes and did pretty well overall. I retook the GRE 3 times, ending up with a 4.0 in the writing and a 298 combined.

Also i was so nervous in the interview.. i dont know what came over me but i talked so fast and barely took time to breathe. I practiced what i wanted to say but it totally came out differently. I think it made me more nervous when the PA wasn't talking, didnt even ask a question.

Im just curious what kind of answers did you give to questions like why challanges do PAs face or what's a negative. Or why PA and not other careers like NP ( nps are taught in the nursing model and a more holistic approach). PAs are trained in the medical model, and this compliments the physician training). As far a MD vs PA, i like that i can work autonomously but also have the physician to consult with in more intricate cases. I also like that because of a PAs training as generalist, they are more flexible to switch specialties and recieve on the job training.

Hey guys, for these of you who got accepted, when you login on to the graduate school website where we submitted our supplementary what does your status say? I received an acceptance email but when I go on the website it still says "Decision Pending". Does that just mean they will have it changed once the deposit is submitted? Thanks!

I dropped off my deposit on Friday and asked about this. They said once the deposit is given they will update it. Not sure what significance it has at that point, but that's what they told me. Also, we will be receiving occasional emails about what our next steps are; although no specifics were offered as to when we should expect to hear anything new.

Hi MaryRose.

I never write anything on this forum.. but, I also had hard time with the interview, so I wanted to give you some advice.

I prepared for my interview for about two weeks using a book called "How to ace the physician assistant school interview". (I think someone mentioned about this book above already). It gave me confidence coming into the interview. BUT! Most of the questions that I was asked were the questions that I did not prepared for!!! My interview was relatively short. I came out of the room the earliest out of all the people who were being interviewed. I even asked the interviewers, "Anything else you wanted to ask me??"... They smiled and said "No". I thought I ruined it. And.. I was accepted to the program.

What I think helped me was the book that I bought (even though the questions didn't help me much) and job interviews that I recently had. I was laid off from a job about 5 months ago, so I had to find a new job. I think I had about 5 interview past 3-4 months. That experience really helped me a lot. Most of the questions that I was asked were from the job interviews. I am a registered dietitian. So the faculty and the community PA asked me questions based on my experience as a dietitian. I think that's why my job interviews helped me a lot with the PA program interview.

Also the book helped me to come up with answers that are unique and personal. If you have not read the book yet, I recommend reading it. It will help organize your thoughts. Just don't memorize the answers.. because a lot of people read the book to prepare for the interview. Try to be creative and personal with your answers.

Good luck!

Also i was so nervous in the interview.. i dont know what came over me but i talked so fast and barely took time to breathe. I practiced what i wanted to say but it totally came out differently. I think it made me more nervous when the PA wasn't talking, didnt even ask a question.

Im just curious what kind of answers did you give to questions like why challanges do PAs face or what's a negative. Or why PA and not other careers like NP ( nps are taught in the nursing model and a more holistic approach). PAs are trained in the medical model, and this compliments the physician training). As far a MD vs PA, i like that i can work autonomously but also have the physician to consult with in more intricate cases. I also like that because of a PAs training as generalist, they are more flexible to switch specialties and recieve on the job training.

Mkels,

I haven't heard anything else back yet. The email I got stated that they were pretty sure there would be an answer by Dec 12. I am guessing they are waiting to see if there were people who were accepted who have declined for other programs.

I hate being in limbo with the possibility of coming so close and potentially not getting accepted but I guess I just have to keep hope that there's still a spot open.

The positive is that, assuming I don't get into any other program this year, I'm sure to get a spot next year. I don't like that I will have to re-take some pre-reqs that fall outside the 6-year requirement but I suppose it's always good to refresh on that stuff.

Archived