Shout out to 2012 applicants!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In_vitro, this is what the email said to me...

Thank you for your application to the Wayne State University Physician

Assistant Studies program. At this time, we are unable to offer you enrollment

in the program.

I just am at a loss. I don't get how I am not good enough. It just sucks because I thought I was a competitve applicant. This whole process has really drained my confidence. But, congratulations to you all who got in! You will all do amazing and I appreciate all the support you have given me the past couple of days! It was very helpful. And in_vitro, I bet you will hear back on the next cycle or whatever.

hughe2cl, I know it is very discouraging (I've been rejected from grad programs in the past) but don't give up hope. It seems you are younger based on some of your other posts. Don't be too discouraged to pursue PA if it's something you really want to do. There are still other schools trying to fill their rosters.

If it makes you feel better, one of my friends is currently in his 2nd year of the program at Wayne and he didn't get accepted the first time he applied. He just kept at it and applied again the following year and was accepted.

Stay positive and if you don't get into any programs this year, take it as an opportunity to learn a new skill, build your experience and enjoy life. This will surely influence you towards becoming a greater PA if you let it.

hughe2cl, don't get too discouraged and just remember that if this is what you really wanna do, it'll happen eventually, just keep trying and keep applying. This is my third year applying to PA school and every year getting denied only makes you stronger and more determined to get in. I also heard that Eastern Michigan is opening up their PA school and start admitting students May 2014, so thats also very promising! Im sure you will make it next year. Don't give up!

I was denied as well, but thats ok! It was my first year applying so I knew this was pretty likely, but i am young, determined, and hopeful next year will be my year for WSU. Congrats to everyone who was accepted, I am sure it must feel great. For those others who were also denied, hang in there, this isn't the end.

Lexy, wow third year applying. Congrats on finally getting accepted. I'm curious though, what did you do each year waiting to re-apply? I'm curious in the event that I don't get accepted, I need to decide in what way to best spend my time waiting for next year. I've unfortunately been out of school for some years so I will have to re-take a lot of pre-req courses as they will fall out of the 6 year requirement. If I don't get accepted, I will still pursue PA of course but I'll have to look into also furthering my current job. Would you recommend something like nursing school in the meantime? Maybe Paramedic as I already have my EMT-B?

For anyone who did not get accepted I know what you are going through. I did not get accepted to any PA school last year and I applied to many. I got wait listed at a few but did not get in. You have to stay positive and realize it is not personal and it has nothing to do with how smart you are. Some of these schools get 1000 applications for 30-40 spots and EVERYONE is just as deserving. You cannot take it personally. My best advice is to get as many hours as you can and do it in areas that will impress the people interviewing you. You have to look for ways that separate yourself. Remember, anyone who has been successful has had to fight for it. I'll also admit, I did have nursing in the back of my mind if I did not get in this year. Once someone is a NP they do essentially the same job as PA's. Yes, I know the differences but going that route is not as competitive. Everyone has a limit how long they will give this journey, and there is nothing to be ashamed of going a different route if it leads to the same end. Best of luck to everyone.

in_vitro....Yes, I have applied to Detroit Mercy the past two years, but this is my first year applying to WSU and first year getting an interview. I am a medical assistant so I am able to get alot of direct patient contact hours that way. I think just gaining more experience in your current job and you said you are an EMT and that is a great field for pioneering into the PA profession. The most important thing is to spend as much time working with patients and that is one of the best ways to improve your application. I think the interviewers will be able to connect with that and hopefully they will see that you enjoy working with patients. I would not recommend going to nursing school to do that since you already have a certification and job in a related field. That would just be too costly and time consuming and by that time you would have already got accepted into the next years cycle! Honestly, in improving my application, I just took the pre-requisites that I needed for WSU and re-took a few courses that had expired. In addition, I gained about 1500 hours from the previous year. Just remember, if you had an interview, you are very lucky and you are an extremely competitive candidate and you should be proud because not everyone was interviewed! Also, that book "How to Ace the Physician Assistant Interview" by Andrew Rodican helped me prepare for the interview and I would definitely recommend it. Hope this helps and don't give up, you are going to make it in future cycles! :=D:

Archived