Title pretty much explains it all. I just recently took the GRE at home test and for some reason I just completely ran out of time on the first quant section. I got a verbal score of 161 but because I missed about 8-10 questions on the quant section I got a freaking 140! I haven't received my analytical writing score but I hopefully will have at least a 4.

My question is I have a 301, should I retake the GRE or should I just go with the score that I have? The last time I took the GRE was in 2013 and that score was a 150 something for the verbal and a 154 for the quant section so I am pretty confident that if I retake the test I will get a better score in the quant section, but again is it even worth it?

Edited by NOLAPALady
Typo

I mean you hit the 300 minimum for most schools so I'd roll with it.  It seems like the GRE is just a "did you make the cut" kind of thing. So IMO I think the weight of the GRE isn't significant enough to take it again. Especially if you're a good candidate in the other areas... but that's my take on it lol

But I'm sure it's school specific and some will look more into it,  I still wouldn't take it again unless you needed the great score to make up for other things 😊

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Kirby219 said:

I mean you hit the 300 minimum for most schools so I'd roll with it.  It seems like the GRE is just a "did you make the cut" kind of thing. So IMO I think the weight of the GRE isn't significant enough to take it again. Especially if you're a good candidate in the other areas... but that's my take on it lol

But I'm sure it's school specific and some will look more into it,  I still wouldn't take it again unless you needed the great score to make up for other things 😊

I was banking on it for a few schools to improve my odds due to a low GPA but my top schools don't require the GRE. Without a higher score though, I don't make the cut for Idaho.

Ugh I'm torn 😔. I think I have 21 says to decide.

Personally I'd go with the score you have. A score of 300+ is usually good enough for most schools, and meets that "cut-off" score that they look for. If you are really concerned, you could always retake it for the next cycle in case you do not get in for this cycle, but I bet there are other things you could invest your time in to improve your chances more (like boosting your PCE hours or taking some additional courses in the sciences). Hope this helps 🙂 

• Upvote 1

I don't know too much about getting into civilian PA schools, especially these days, but I think you should retake it if you're not comfortable with your score. My philosophy is to control the things you can control, and it sounds like you have 21 days to improve your score - more than enough time. I half-ass took the GRE earlier this year and studied for literally two days and got a 323. I'm sure I would've done much worse without those two days of studying, and I'm sure that I could've done a little better if I'd cared enough to study a little more (say, a couple of weeks). My point is, you have time to improve, and it sounds like you want to improve, so why not? Even if GRE scores are not weighed super heavily into the ADCOM's decision (and I don't know if they are or aren't), it still behooves you to knock it out of the park, if you can. Try to set your self apart from the next candidate in every area possible. Good luck.

• Like 2

The test is quite easy actually. You just need to manage your time well on each section (unlike me 🤣😂). If you study the practice exams or a few videos on YouTube like GregMat you will do well. I would advise against taking it at home if you do not live alone. As much as people think they are being considerate, simple things they do will distract you, like movement around the house or heating something in the microwave. 

Just study GRE vocab, how to write analytically vs argumentatively, and math equations like volume and area of triangles etc. Nothing you have done in school will prepare you for this test other than maybe English composition and college algebra or trig courses. You will need to study specifically for the content of this exam. 

For referenced, I watch maybe two or three GregMat YouTube videos to refresh my vocab and made a 161 which according to last year's stats would have been 88th percentile. YMMV, but i truly think any can do well with minimal preparation.  

It's not a hard test, you will do great.

Hope that helps.

Also now that I am writing this response to you I have decided to retake the exam. I can do better than a damn 301 and I just want to do better than a 301! So I will.

Edited by NOLAPALady
Stoopid cell phone
  • Upvote 1

Taking it tomorrow and I took it in 2013 but it has since "expired" (kinda stupid imo I get the classes expiring but the GRE has not changed since 2013)

Even though I took in 2013, I'm still nervous as heck for tomorrow. 

1. Technical issues @ NOLAPAlady did  you take it on a mac or a PC? I'm more comfortable with my MAC but i feel since they changed their technical requirements only recently (used to be PC) the test would be better on a PC plus I heard people had some issue on their Mac. If I do have issues with my PC can i change to my MAC

2. Verbal, I am more strong with the math than I am verbal. I'm great with the argument and reading aspect but vocabulary and the issue essay is not my stronger. I have looked to ETS issue essay pool to study and outline all of them so hopefully that help but vocab is still an issue there are 1000 words that i probably am not aware at that they can test on. Ugh I rather take a medical terminology test instead of this lol but at the same time I've also done the MCAT and that was 500x harder and I am sooo glad I never have to do that again. 

My question is do they take in the total score of if you do well in one section and not the other will it affect admission because if i'm lucky my verbal will be average but my math will be at least 70%. I'll get a 300 no problem. 

I can probably retake it if I don't do so well but some schools need my scores ASAP so I don't have time to retake it.The only reason for the time crunch is slightly due to COVID i had everything planned out since last year but then COVID delayed not only my test but my test prep class as well.  

Edited by Christine616
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:13 AM, NOLAPALady said:

The test is quite easy actually. You just need to manage your time well on each section (unlike me 🤣😂). If you study the practice exams or a few videos on YouTube like GregMat you will do well. I would advise against taking it at home if you do not live alone. As much as people think they are being considerate, simple things they do will distract you, like movement around the house or heating something in the microwave. 

Just study GRE vocab, how to write analytically vs argumentatively, and math equations like volume and area of triangles etc. Nothing you have done in school will prepare you for this test other than maybe English composition and college algebra or trig courses. You will need to study specifically for the content of this exam. 

For referenced, I watch maybe two or three GregMat YouTube videos to refresh my vocab and made a 161 which according to last year's stats would have been 88th percentile. YMMV, but i truly think any can do well with minimal preparation.  

It's not a hard test, you will do great.

Hope that helps.

Also now that I am writing this response to you I have decided to retake the exam. I can do better than a damn 301 and I just want to do better than a 301! So I will.

Ahhh thanks so much!  I have been making such a big deal about this test! I'm just gonna sign up and take it. Thanks! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Christine616 said:

Taking it tomorrow and I took it in 2013 but it has since "expired" (kinda stupid imo I get the classes expiring but the GRE has not changed since 2013)

Even though I took in 2013, I'm still nervous as heck for tomorrow. 

1. Technical issues @ NOLAPAlady did  you take it on a mac or a PC? I'm more comfortable with my MAC but i feel since they changed their technical requirements only recently (used to be PC) the test would be better on a PC plus I heard people had some issue on their Mac. If I do have issues with my PC can i change to my MAC

2. Verbal, I am more strong with the math than I am verbal. I'm great with the argument and reading aspect but vocabulary and the issue essay is not my stronger. I have looked to ETS issue essay pool to study and outline all of them so hopefully that help but vocab is still an issue there are 1000 words that i probably am not aware at that they can test on. Ugh I rather take a medical terminology test instead of this lol but at the same time I've also done the MCAT and that was 500x harder and I am sooo glad I never have to do that again. 

My question is do they take in the total score of if you do well in one section and not the other will it affect admission because if i'm lucky my verbal will be average but my math will be at least 70%. I'll get a 300 no problem. 

I can probably retake it if I don't do so well but some schools need my scores ASAP so I don't have time to retake it.The only reason for the time crunch is slightly due to COVID i had everything planned out since last year but then COVID delayed not only my test but my test prep class as well.  

So sorry that I am just seeing your post this morning! Hopefully you took the exam and had no technical issues. I took it on a PC. There is a proctor on with you at all times so if you are having technical issues they may be able to assist as they have remote control of your computer during the exam.

If you took the MCAT, this GRE will be nothing at all.

As for the scoring, it depends on the school. Some schools want a combined score over,, say 300 with no regard to how you attained the score. Other schools would like to see a certain percentile in each section along with a combined score over 300. Still other schools want the percentiles and the writing about 3.5 or what-have-you. 

Shoot for the stars and do well! You got this!

Update: 

After 6 hours of total test time I'm finally done! The amount of technical issues and family interruptions is insane!

NOLAPALady you are on point with math i went in slightly over confident because I never had an issue with time on the math section in my practice tests. During this test,  I felt rushed for time I am honestly so surprised i got 157. I know I could have done better though all my practice tests (6 Princeton Review and 2 ETS) I got 160 or higher. But with all the technical issues that happen during or right before math i am honestly happy with my score. 

Verbal again my practice test scores I got roughly 150s so I was really nervous but I got a 156 so happy. 

So in 2013 taken at a test center I got 161 Math 157 Verbal

2020 taken at home I got 157 Math 156 Verbal

Not too bad I guess 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Christine616 said:

Update: 

After 6 hours of total test time I'm finally done! The amount of technical issues and family interruptions is insane!

NOLAPALady you are on point with math i went in slightly over confident because I never had an issue with time on the math section in my practice tests. During this test,  I felt rushed for time I am honestly so surprised i got 157. I know I could have done better though all my practice tests (6 Princeton Review and 2 ETS) I got 160 or higher. But with all the technical issues that happen during or right before math i am honestly happy with my score. 

Verbal again my practice test scores I got roughly 150s so I was really nervous but I got a 156 so happy. 

Not too bad I guess 

Congrats! 

23 hours ago, Christine616 said:

Update: 

Not too bad I guess 

I knew you would do well! Congrats on the good score.

I got my writing back today. I scored a 4.0. I honestly thought I rocked those essays but what can you do.