Ask a PA Admissions Director

@sumarachi You need to check with the schools you're applying to so you can be aware of their deadlines. For example, our programs allows applicants to apply and be accepted as long as there is a plan to complete your degree by our late-August start date. Some programs may want the degree and coursework completed by the late fall semester. Every programs' deadlines will differ so check the them first. Thanks!

Hello and thanks again (I've previously posted a question).....I'm currently a senior in my undergrad (ex. physiology) I have a 4.0 GPA and a 1290 GRE (think this is equivalent to a 315 on the new GRE), and am currently doing an internship where I take vitals and help patients with various conditions (stroke, MS, spinal cord injuries, etc) work through a therapist prescribed exercise routine at a rehabilitation hospital. I also assist a therapist with a process called biofeedback where I generally help hold patients in various positions. I am also doing some PA shadowing when I have time. After the semester ends I plan on working as a PT tech or possibly in cardiac rehab (still looking for a job). Because I want to get as many HCE hours as possible, I'm going to wait to submit application until later in the process. I also have one outstanding prereq class (microbio)....my questions are if you think the HCE I have described will be adequate (will have approximately 600-700 hours when I apply and most of the programs I'm applying to don't require HCE hours but obviously prefer it) and if it is ok to apply with an outstanding prerequisite class? Also, I understand that it is to one's benefit to apply early in the application cycle, but is it detrimental if I apply a little later (still before the deadline obviously). Thank you so much for your input!!!!

@joeM Welcome back. I would encourage you to submit early rather than later. If the programs dont require HCE I think you've got solid hours. Continue to update the programs you apply to with your hours after you submit your application. Regarding your coursework deficiency, I would double check with the programs that interest you to see what their policies are for applying with outstanding coursework. I hope this helps!

thank you! i just emailed every single school that I hope to apply to ask them about their application requirements. I had a similar question to the one that person above just asked. If a school does say they'll allow in-progress candidates, would you suggest i wait until the end of spring semester to submit my application (beginning of june) so that my spring semester is also on my application, or do you suggest applying the second the cycle opens in april?

Hi! I will be a second time applicant when CASPA reopens in April 2013. I applied to 9 schools my first time around, received one interview, however I was not offered admission. I am reapplying and will have over 1000 more HCE than I did when I first applied. I have a science GPA of 3.1 and a cumulative of 3.3. What do you think is the most important improvement an applicant can make between their first and second applications?

@sumarachi I'll give you our program's take on that question. The earlier you submit the better IF you have the majority of coursework requirements complete. If you're deficient in over half of the prereqs I may encourage you to wait. As I mentioned in my initial post, the prerequisites paint a more accurate picture of how an applicant performs in the sciences so the more that are complete the better. If you're lacking 2-3 courses you may want to consider going ahead with the application especially if they have an early deadline. If those programs can provide feedback on what they typically see for applicants who are extended an interview and are accepted..what would be an average number of outstanding courses for those who are interviewed and accepted. Hopefully, that statement makes sense...Most of our applicants who have been accepted with outstanding coursework have on average 2-3 courses still in progress. Hope this helps!

@chjieun Thank you for your question. Because that number varies from program to program, I don't think I would be able to give an educated "guessimate" on those numbers. Also, keep in mind that wait list accepts will also vary from year to year as well. For example, our program has used anywhere from 15 one year to only 4 one year..sorry I can't provide much feedback other than that. Thanks!

@sarahchil Thank you for your question. I'm assuming that your interview was probably the main reason of not being offered a seat in the program that you interview with. I view applicants as having the academic will power if offered an interview so academics may not have played a role in their decision (just an assumption, so don't hold me to it). That being said, consider boosting that science GPA so you can open yourself up for more chances at an interview especially if you're applying to multiple programs. Look at the prerequisites and see if there are some that you could retake to help improve your science GPA. I know you probably don't want to take another year off from applying, but I've seen some applicants wait a year and improve their academics then reapply. Ask for feedback from the programs that didn't extend an interview and see if they would recommend you retaking the prereqs to be competitive. I hope this helps and best wishes weighing your options.

Hi,

I searched this thread concerning GRE scores, but can't help but ask about my own situation.

My score is 165 for the verbal, 152 for the quantitative, and 3.0 for the writing.

Two of my top choices require the GRE, but don't offer a score range or a profile on the current or past classes. Two other schools that require GRE posted a class profile I am well above the range. The writing part is the exception, one school did not post a profile for the writing score, and the other posted a 4.0 for the writing score average.

So my concerns are that while my combined score is a great 317, when you breakdown the score my quantitative score is kind of low (52%). The other concern is my writing score. Is the writing score very important? Let's say I retake it, and improve my math score, but lose some points in the verbal getting a combined score of 300 or 310, and a writing score of 4.0, do I submit my first score to all the schools except the one with an average 4.0 writing score or send the retake scores to all the schools?

@UNCEric Thank you for your question and yes, I would agree that you have a very competitive score, even though you think your math score is low (I don't think it's as low as you think). Some programs look at the analytical score and some do not. For example, our program does not factor in that score. It's for that reason I think the program that did not post an average for that portion of the GRE does not factor in the writing section. I'm unsure how much weight the program that does that put on the writing section. If you retake it I'm assuming they would take your highest V, Q, and A score..but that may vary from school to school. I hope this helps!

Hello,

I have a question regarding what makes a competitive applicant. My wife who will be applying to PA schools in April is getting her degree from a university online, She received an email today from a school that she was going to apply to which stated that she was not a competitive applicant due to the fact that she is only getting an "online" degree. Even thought the university accepts online degrees. She has been a medical assistant for almost 10 years at a derm office, she is also a firefighter/EMT for the local fire dept for the last 6 years. Her GPA is 3.95. while working full time,and raising a family.

My question is does an online degree make you less competitive than a "traditional" degree, even thought she is well above the standard for meeting all the pre reqs, or do must schools that accept online degrees look at the whole picture of the person applying. Is this school even worth applying to given the stigma that is applied with online degrees.

She may give me a stink eye about this, but any info would be helpful.

Edited by saltybuff18

Hello again I have a few quick questions for you! Why is it important to turn in your application early? Also, would think it be better to have more HCE hours and one outstanding prereq class(microbio....I have a 4.0 in all the other prereqs), or vice versa. I have called the schools and they told me it was kind of a "catch 22" type of situation unfortunately. Neither situation is better/worse than the other. Just thought I'd ask for your perspective!! Thanks as always!

Hello, I had a question about patient experience requirement/recommendation for most schools.

I've been working as a certified pharmacy technician for about 3 years, full time. I thought the job was sufficient experience, because I am working directly with patients and simultaneously constantly learning about drugs, uses, contraindications, etc. But now that I'm looking deeper into several schools to apply to next year, several of them list pharmacy technician as not being valid, while several don't make a mention at all. I graduated from my bachelors with a 3.96 gpa, I have about 100 hours of experience of volunteer work at a hospital (but the most direct contact I had was making patients comfortable and help with transport) and I was planning to look into more volunteering at a hospital or a free clinic in about 2 months after I finish my last pre-reqs.

My question is, based on my experience am I going to be out of my league applying? Is there anything I can do at this point to better my odds or am I best off to completely change my plans and try to go through nursing school or something else to give me different experience? I understand what a job as a nurse offers but I believe that what I'm learning right now is equally beneficial to my future in the health care industry. Thank you in advance!

Dear PA Admissions - this thread is a gem to find on this site! Thank you!

I am a 26 yo re-applicant with a 3.57 overall GPA and 3,000+ hours of HCE. My GRE is above the 50th percentile. My HCE is varied in Cardiac Rehab, Physical Therapy, Volunteering on a Medical Mission, and Emergency Medicine. I have received 5 interviews this year and have so far been waitlisted at 2, and denied at 1. The other 2 are still up in the air - but now that I have gotten the rejection I obviously have a bad feeling about them. I would assume I look appealing on paper if 5 schools picked it up and said yes to the interview...right?

It must be my interview that is holding me back - although when I left, I felt they all had gone well. I'm not an overly bubbly person, reserved at most, but I made a sincere effort to let my interviewers see my personality. A PA I asked said that I might simply be too 'Plain Jane' for a lot of schools that are looking for diversity. Do you have suggestions for how an applicant might stand out? There's nothing very crazy about me, I just really want to be a PA!

Additionally, if I don't get in this cycle, I will re-apply. Do I try to scrounge together money to take additional coursework? Or do I just keep building up my HCE? Is it advisable to get new individuals to write recommendations? Should my personal statement be entirely different than last years?

Apologies for the question overload - any help would be truly appreciated!

@saltybuff18 Thank you for your questions and my apologies for the delay in my response. Unfortunately, many programs, including ours, would prefer not to see an online degree although it is through a regionally accredited institution. My best advice to help balance this out would be to for her to take the prerequisites at a 4 year institution and in the classroom. In addition, I would recommend she has quality health care experience (exceeding the required number of hours) and obviously competitive standardize test scores. I hope this helps!

@joem Hello again! Unfortunately, deadlines can be a little misleading. From our program's standpoint, we start reviewing applications and making decisions for interviews on a rolling basis although we utilize a late deadline....so first come, first serve. Regarding your other question, I would rather see someone apply with an outstanding prerequisite and quality HCE. Again, going back to what deadlines programs utilize, as long as we know you're in progress or planning to complete the outstanding prerequisite, you would still be considered. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@codexoscura Thank you for your questions. You are correct that a lot of programs don't recognize pharmacy tech hours as fulfilling the HCE requirement. To make yourself more competitive, see if you can find a quick CNA course, EMT or medical assisting certification course that can help you gain HCE that would be acceptable for most programs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend going back through a BSN program, so CNA, EMT or medical assisting should be fairly safe to meet most programs requirements. We've had some of our students say they took an online test, that tests both your medical knowledge and clinical skills, but allows you to forgo a 4-6 week class and get a CNA certification...very similar to a CLEP test for CNAs. I'm not too sure where to direct you on the web to get this test, but consider doing a google search to see what you can find. These students are from NC so I'm unsure if it was just state related. Also, always consider shadowing PAs. I realize that too may not count for HCE but it demonstrates you've taken extra steps to understand the profession.

Although your pharm tech hours may be something programs don't recognize, you'll find that type of background to be helpful during your pharmacology courses in PA school. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@schrafftie Thank you for your questions and keep your head up. I wouldn't necessarily recommend retaking courses, but to consider refining your interview and interpersonal skills. Most of the time, not all of the time, the decision after the interview is based on these two skill sets. Interpersonal skills can cover a wide variety of personal traits such as: interactions with others, your ability to listen to others, the ability to demonstrate your relationships with your classmates and colleagues, problem solving skills, not an over anxious person, etc. Although none of these traits may be something you feel you need to improve upon, consider it as something the admissions committee may have been concerned with. I don't think our committee would consider someone who is "plain jane" to be in the "no" category, but taking a look inside at those traits may be beneficial.

I would keep building up your HCE and consider addressing in your personal statement the weaknesses that may have held you back from PA school this year and what you've done to improve upon these weaknesses. I know programs would want to see self-reflection and insight about how you've improved over the year. If you feel the LORs you turned in for you application were good, I would keep them. If you feel that you've spent quality time with another PA who didn't write a LOR for you consider switching one out if you feel it will help.

I hope this helps and best wishes!