Ask a PA Admissions Director

@ekhamidova Thank you for your question. I agree with you that your current PS more than likely was a piece of the puzzle that got you the interview. Unless you've been advised that the statement isn't sufficient I would probably stick with the same one. If you did add anything to the statement, it may be what you've learned through the first application process and how you've changed over the past year if PA school is not an option this year. I hope this helps and yes, cast your net a little bit further so you can open yourself up to more options!

@meganschulz0502 Thanks for your question. Typically, your healthcare experience is not the "norm" for most applicants, but it doesn't mean the hours you've completed won't count. The best thing to do is to contact the programs you plan to apply to with a detailed description of the hands-on experience (i.e. if you take vitals, dispense medication, provide physical therapy of some type, etc) you have with these patients. I think it's important you also include, if applicable, who supervises you...a physician, a nurse, or a PA, etc. I don't think this is the case, but if you're only providing "comforting support," or, for lack of a better term, babysitting these patients, then I don't think the hours will count. I think your experience will be valuable to you as you get into your clinical year since you're able to experience a different "culture" of people that most are not typically exposed to on a regular basis.

You've mentioned your shadowing hours, which is great..I would recommend you continue your shadowing as you apply to PA school. If the programs you're applying to are primary care driven, make sure to seek shadowing opportunities in those type of areas as it will be helpful for you to understand how to treat your patients from a primary care standpoint. If they have another focus make sure to seek out as many of those types of opportunities because it will help you understand the focus of those programs. I hope this helps!

Hello -

I wondered if I could get an opinion about the need for PAs with a research/public health background. I have a B.S. in Biotechnology and will complete my MPH this spring. I worked as a research technician (bench science) for 3 years before moving to my current job, where I work as a study coordinator. I have really enjoyed the patient care aspect of the coordinating position much more than I expected, and am interested in pursuing PA school with hopes of combining clinical practice with my public health degree. Ideally, someday I'd like to work as an EIS officer with the CDC. Is there a need out there for PA/MPHs? Would a PA school consider the MPH to be an asset? Would my position as a study coordinator count towards HCE? Thank you for your guidance!

Hello,

I have a question regarding my LORs. I have asked the physician I worked with for 7 years to write one LOR and I have asked two PA's I worked with to write the other two LORs. I see that some schools require a LOR from someone who is familiar with your academic ability. Would a letter from my instructor for continuing education classes for EMS qualify as a good LOR? She knows my academic history well, but I am not sure if I should be asking one of my current professors for the LOR. I appreciate your thoughts on this, thank you.

@jeanjo87 Thank you for your question. I had to refer to a faculty member for their opinion on this one. We feel the MPH degree and research experience are both very useful for a prospective PA and strongly suspect that over time there will be more jobs for PAs in both PH and research. Off the top of my head I'm not sure which programs I could recommend that have a heavy emphasis or who may give preference to applicants who have a MPH degree prior to PA school. You may want to look into programs who may have the option of obtaining a dual degree in PA studies and PH..there are some that exist. That could be a starting point. The study coordinator position might count as health care experience depending upon the actual duties and the program's interpretation. I hope this helps!

@jschmitt Thank you for your questions. If you applied to our program we would prefer to see a letter from a professor at your university who may be your advisor or who has taught you in more than one science course. If you have professors who are in touch with your academic ability in the upper level sciences, I feel that may speak more to you academic willpower than the EMS instructor. If you feel the EMS instructor could write a good letter, I would see if the programs you're applying to accept additional LORs and send it as supplemental information for your file. We would accept additional letters, some programs may not. I hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions Director,

I am currently working as a dental office manager and am enrolling in a BA Health Service Administration program after which I plan to apply to a PA program. My intention was to make the transition into medical office management but I'm wondering whether that would qualify as HCE. Any advice?

@PAin7yrs Thank you for your email. Usually medical office management will not count for most programs because is tends to be all or mostly administrative duties. I would encourage you to seek a CNA, medical assistant or EMT certification to obtain the hours most programs would accept. There are other options besides the 3 positions I've listed above. To find these options you should research the programs that interest you to see what is considered acceptable hours, or if they've listed a class profile that would include the positions incoming students held prior to their matriculation. Hope this helps!

@VTruong09 Thank you for your question. I think you should aim for whichever position gives you the most exposure to PAs in the medical setting. I'm fairly confident you'd get more exposure in the hospital setting to not only PAs, but you'll get to see more how they work collaboratively with all members of the healthcare team. I do think your hospice hours are valuable and afford you the opportunity to see things from a medical standpoint that you may not see in the hospital. Hope this helps!

Hello All, i was wondering what specific schools anyone knew of that take Peace Corps service for experience. additionally what schools are more likely to accept a RPCV over a non volunteer. (so far i have found Duke, University of Pitt, GW, and Samuel Merritt to list PC as acceptable experience)

hello!

I was trying to figure out roughly how CASPA would calculate my gpa but i have a dilemma. Since i'm did a 2 year MLT program, I have alot of MLT classes on my transcript such as :Hematology, Clinical Micro I/II, Urinalysis, Immunology etc.

Would I count these towards my science GPA or my nonscience/cumulative?

@kaitir Thank you for your question. It would be best to contact the schools that may interest you with an explanation of your health care experience you've done through the Peace Corps. I think most schools would evaluate the medical aspect your experience for their health care requirements. However, your Peace Corps experience is an obvious benefit to your application.

@sumarachi I think I'm correct in saying that it depends on how you enter your coursework into the CASPA application. According to CASPA's FAQ page about coursework, those classes should be calculated into the GPA ONLY if they are taken through a regionally accredited college or university. If you're taking the MLT classes through a hospital or medical center they will not be calculated into the GPA and should be listed under the category of "professional" coursework when entering coursework into the application. I hope this helps!

Hello Paadmissions,

I applied to several PA schools this past year. I had 2 interviews and was placed on the alternate list at both schools. One school will let me know by June. The other school said that I may not know until August. I am already starting to prepare my application for the next cycle. I would like to ask the schools that I applied to last year for feedback on what I need to improve on for the next cycle. The schools that interviewed me will likely be able to provide me with the best feedback. Is it appropriate to ask schools this while I am still on the alternate list? I definitely want to apply early this year (last year I was late in the cycle waiting on final grades). I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask schools before they have made a final decision.

Additionally I was wondering how most students go about asking for feedback on their application. Would schools prefer that this request is made by email, by phone call, or by scheduling a meeting with admissions staff?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Paadmissions,

First of all I'd like to echo everyone else in saying thank you so much for donating some of your time to answering all of our questions! Reading through this thread has been very informative and helpful. With that said here's my question for you. I have two pre-requisites to finish: Biochem and Organic Chemistry 1. I'm taking Biochem now and taking Organic over the summer (May-end of June). Most of the programs I'm applying to don't have a deadline until sometime between August 1st and November 1st. Do you think it's better to wait until I finish both of the classes (which would be the end of June) to apply or should I apply earlier with the courses in progress? Or wait until I finish Biochem mid-May and apply then? Just trying to figure all of this out. Thanks!

@prepa1107 Thank you for your question. If applicants ask for feedback I usually prefer it to be in email format or via a phone call. Email usually is the best and quickest way for applicants to get feedback (for our program). I don't think it would hurt to contact the 2 programs and let them know up front that you are preparing for next year should a seat not become available...I would understand and I think they probably will too. I don't think there will be too much to improve upon if you're on the alternate list, but they may be able to provide some feedback about your interview or academics. I'm guessing your academics are fairly solid if you had an interview..but it never hurts to ask. I hope this helps and best wishes.

@esklar Thank you for your questions and I'm happy to hear the threads have been helpful. I would lean more on the side of you submitting your application ahead of finishing these prerequisites. There is a place on the CASPA application where you can put what you're in progress of taking and/or what you're planning to take. You want these particular programs to see your planned coursework in your application so they know they will be complete by their deadlines. Once you complete the courses you should send an official transcript to update your coursework. That's how our program operates, so double check with those particular programs and re-read their websites to make sure you don't have to have these courses complete at the time of application. Hope this helps!

Hi! I will be a re-applicant this upcoming CASPA cycle. I will be applying to 2 schools I never applied to before, one school which I interviewed at previously, and another school I previously applied to. I have been working on my personal statement, and I've been trying to focus on why I want to be a PA, my experiences that solidified my decision to pursue this career, and how I have improved since my last application. Do you think writing about being a re-applicant in my PS will draw negative attention from the schools that I have never applied to before?

I have gained over 1,000 HCE hours, and an additional 30 hours of shadowing since my last application. I will also be able to submit my application much earlier than I did last year.

I have also been accepted into an accelerated biology master's program that starts in Fall 2013 so that I can improve my GPA in case I would need to apply a third time.

Will having 2 Pre Requsites in progress at the time of application impact one's chances of getting in (the programs claim it is ok)?Even if they have all the other requirements and a higher than required GPA?

I just read what you said to @esklar so I think my question is cleared up unless you have more information.

Will having 2 Pre Requsites in progress at the time of application impact one's chances of getting in (the programs claim it is ok)?Even if they have all the other requirements and a higher than required GPA?

I just read what you said to @esklar so I think my question is cleared up unless you have more information.

Hi PAADMISSIONS! I'm currently working as a respiratory therapist and pursing my bachelors degree online in respiratory therapy. My school is only nationally accredited and I want to go to PA school and become a PA. Are there any PA programs that will accept nationally accredited degrees?! If there is, where is this list hiding? Thank you!

Hi PAADMISSIONS! I'm currently working as a respiratory therapist and pursing my bachelors degree online in respiratory therapy. My school is only nationally accredited and I want to go to PA school and become a PA. Are there any PA programs that will accept nationally accredited degrees?! If there is, where is this list hiding? Thank you!