Ask a PA Admissions Director

@sarahchil Thank you for your question. I do think it's important to emphasize, but not overemphasize, how you've improved your application this year and hopefully by applying earlier that will increase your chances to be considered. Make sure to also include in your personal statement an insightful and analytical description of how critical PAs are to the healthcare system in your area or region. If you have an interest in primary care I would emphasize that as well. I also think your plan to enroll in the masters program will be beneficial to your application should this year not be an option.

@sarahchil Thank you for your question. I do think it's important to emphasize, but not overemphasize, how you've improved your application this year and hopefully by applying earlier that will increase your chances to be considered. Make sure to also include in your personal statement an insightful and analytical description of how critical PAs are to the healthcare system in your area or region. If you have an interest in primary care I would emphasize that as well. I also think your plan to enroll in the masters program will be beneficial to your application should this year not be an option.

@Melisa7183 Thank you for your question. I do believe you should be ok if you're in progress of completing just 2 of your outstanding prerequisites as long as you're completing them by the specific deadlines. From our program's perspective it is 100% ok for you to be in that situation especially if all other selection factors are being met. I hope this helps!

@Melisa7183 Thank you for your question. I do believe you should be ok if you're in progress of completing just 2 of your outstanding prerequisites as long as you're completing them by the specific deadlines. From our program's perspective it is 100% ok for you to be in that situation especially if all other selection factors are being met. I hope this helps!

@doritos Thank you for your question. I could not begin to tell you where to find a list of these programs, if they exist. That being said, the best way to approach this would be to research programs that interest you and once you've narrowed down that list see what accreditation for your BS degree is required for the program. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find any masters level programs that accept that type of accreditation.

If you can't find any programs that fit into this category consider 2 options:

1. Check out bachelor, certificate and associate degree PA programs rather than continuing in a bachelor's program that will not get you into a master's level PA program. I'm not 100% sure of the requirements for these programs, but I'm guessing at least bachelor and associate level programs may not require a previous degree.

2. If you're set on obtaining a master's degree in PA studies, transfer to a regionally accredited institution so you'll have more options. I would also recommend staying away from online degrees if you're able.

I hope this helps!

@doritos Thank you for your question. I could not begin to tell you where to find a list of these programs, if they exist. That being said, the best way to approach this would be to research programs that interest you and once you've narrowed down that list see what accreditation for your BS degree is required for the program. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find any masters level programs that accept that type of accreditation.

If you can't find any programs that fit into this category consider 2 options:

1. Check out bachelor, certificate and associate degree PA programs rather than continuing in a bachelor's program that will not get you into a master's level PA program. I'm not 100% sure of the requirements for these programs, but I'm guessing at least bachelor and associate level programs may not require a previous degree.

2. If you're set on obtaining a master's degree in PA studies, transfer to a regionally accredited institution so you'll have more options. I would also recommend staying away from online degrees if you're able.

I hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions Director,

Thank you so much for offering your advice regarding the PA application process.

I am also an aspiring PA, and during the last cycle I applied to 3 schools, got 2 interviews (out of those, one waitlisted me and the other rejected me), and I got one rejection.

I'm trying to improve my interview skills since I feel that is the point that denied me entry. I would like your opinion on one of the interview questions.

They asked me "What would make you stand out from the crowd and make you an excellent PA?"

I said "Besides hard work, and dedication, which I'm sure many of your other applicants have as well, I am also someone who knows the frustration of being a patient and seeking help. I started having back problems when I was 21 (8 years ago). I tried to fix it on my own, but my parents disregarded it. Then when I was 24, I went through a whole slew of doctors - orthopedics, chiropractors, neurologists - and I did a whole bunch of tests, but they weren't able to fix the problem. I got a little relief but still wasn't 100%. So two years ago I went through another round of tests and more doctors, and at this point, I have my problem under control. I'm feeling much better. I think it was just the combination of trying different things.

But being a patient all these years, I struggled with a lot. From insurance issues to doctors that wouldn't take me seriously. For example, I went to a rheumatologist who barely gave me 10 minutes, because I was young and all the other patients are old. Things like that, are why I'd make a good PA. I'd want to give you, the patient, my honest time and consideration. I'd want to try to figure out what's happening to give you a solution. I'd want to follow up to see progress. And most importantly, I wouldn't disregard you because you're an 'atypical' patient. I would listen and do everything possible to help that person, so that they wouldn't have to go through the frustration that I did, or at least reduce it."

Does this sound like a good answer?

Also, would they would think that my back problem would be a hindrance to my education? I said that I feel much better and have it under control, but would they believe me? I didn't include the actual diagnoses (fibromylagia, subluxation) because I didn't think it was important to the interview, but should I have?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Dear PA Admissions Director,

Thank you so much for offering your advice regarding the PA application process.

I am also an aspiring PA, and during the last cycle I applied to 3 schools, got 2 interviews (out of those, one waitlisted me and the other rejected me), and I got one rejection.

I'm trying to improve my interview skills since I feel that is the point that denied me entry. I would like your opinion on one of the interview questions.

They asked me "What would make you stand out from the crowd and make you an excellent PA?"

I said "Besides hard work, and dedication, which I'm sure many of your other applicants have as well, I am also someone who knows the frustration of being a patient and seeking help. I started having back problems when I was 21 (8 years ago). I tried to fix it on my own, but my parents disregarded it. Then when I was 24, I went through a whole slew of doctors - orthopedics, chiropractors, neurologists - and I did a whole bunch of tests, but they weren't able to fix the problem. I got a little relief but still wasn't 100%. So two years ago I went through another round of tests and more doctors, and at this point, I have my problem under control. I'm feeling much better. I think it was just the combination of trying different things.

But being a patient all these years, I struggled with a lot. From insurance issues to doctors that wouldn't take me seriously. For example, I went to a rheumatologist who barely gave me 10 minutes, because I was young and all the other patients are old. Things like that, are why I'd make a good PA. I'd want to give you, the patient, my honest time and consideration. I'd want to try to figure out what's happening to give you a solution. I'd want to follow up to see progress. And most importantly, I wouldn't disregard you because you're an 'atypical' patient. I would listen and do everything possible to help that person, so that they wouldn't have to go through the frustration that I did, or at least reduce it."

Does this sound like a good answer?

Also, would they would think that my back problem would be a hindrance to my education? I said that I feel much better and have it under control, but would they believe me? I didn't include the actual diagnoses (fibromylagia, subluxation) because I didn't think it was important to the interview, but should I have?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hello PA Admissions Director,

I was wait listed at three schools this past cycle and I am planning on reapplying in the upcoming cycle. I have tried to contact my schools for feedback so that I can improve my application next year, but they have given me almost no information and have mainly tried to get me off the phone as quickly as possible. Would you be able to look at my stats and tell me how best to improve my application?

3.48 overall GPA; 3.34 Science GPA

GRE score of 315

8500+ hrs healthcare experience (1200 as EMT-B and the rest as EMT-P)

25 hrs volunteer work

I already work with under served populations as a Parademic. Would you suggest I increase my volunteer hours? I know my GPA is on the low side, but I will hopefully bring it up slightly after taking a few more courses this summer (mostly science). Do you think that it would be beneficial to bring my GPA up to 3.5, since some schools may have a cutoff, or is 3.48 or 3.49 close enough given my extensive experience? Although my Science GPA is low, I took most of those classes at Harvard. Do admissions officers even notice where I took my prerequisites?

My final question is: do you have any tips for finding schools that are looking for more experienced applicants? I was rejected from two schools this cycle who admitted only applicants straight out of college with very high GPAs, saying that I was "not a good fit" for the classes they admitted. I am concerned that the PA profession is less and less accessible for second-career or non-traditional students. I am hoping to maximize my applications this cycle by targeting schools that may still be interested in such applicants.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by MotorCitySteve
information deleted

Hello PA Admissions Director,

I was wait listed at three schools this past cycle and I am planning on reapplying in the upcoming cycle. I have tried to contact my schools for feedback so that I can improve my application next year, but they have given me almost no information and have mainly tried to get me off the phone as quickly as possible. Would you be able to look at my stats and tell me how best to improve my application?

3.48 overall GPA; 3.34 Science GPA

GRE score of 315

8500+ hrs healthcare experience (1200 as EMT-B and the rest as EMT-P)

25 hrs volunteer work

I already work with under served populations as a Parademic. Would you suggest I increase my volunteer hours? I know my GPA is on the low side, but I will hopefully bring it up slightly after taking a few more courses this summer (mostly science). Do you think that it would be beneficial to bring my GPA up to 3.5, since some schools may have a cutoff, or is 3.48 or 3.49 close enough given my extensive experience? Although my Science GPA is low, I took most of those classes at Harvard. Do admissions officers even notice where I took my prerequisites?

My final question is: do you have any tips for finding schools that are looking for more experienced applicants? I was rejected from two schools this cycle who admitted only applicants straight out of college with very high GPAs, saying that I was "not a good fit" for the classes they admitted. I am concerned that the PA profession is less and less accessible for second-career or non-traditional students. I am hoping to maximize my applications this cycle by targeting schools that may still be interested in such applicants.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by MotorCitySteve
information deleted

@yelenaPA Thank you for your question. I think a better way to word your answer would be that you realize the importance of compassion and that you should always put the patient first. Stay away from phrases that may hint to physicians spending less time with patients. You don't want to stereotype the providers and you may offend some physicians who may be on the committee. I would also think about forming answers that may talk about your strengths or unique experiences you've had prior to applying to PA school. For example, if you've held any leadership positions... that is a great talking point because you know how to lead if put in that position as a provider, but also know how to take direction if you're in a different situation. Unique experiences that may have exposed you to different cultures or a population that you don't have much experience with is always a plus. It may help you understand that population better as a provider. These are just examples and I'm unsure if you've ever been in these situations, and if you've experienced something similar, consider taking that approach. I hope this helps!

@motorcitysteve Thank you for your questions. If you're retaking some of the prerequisites I think you're on the right path to enhance your application. I also think taking classes at Harvard should be a plus to your application, but some schools may view that differently. Your experience should be one of the best parts of your application and I think most programs like to see that in an applicant. If I were you, target programs that require clinical experience-specifically programs that require at least 1,000-2,000 hours. Although that amount of hours cuts our program out of the picture (we require only 500), the average amount of hours for our incoming class is 2,000. Sometimes, not all the time, the more hours that are required the demographics may be more along the lines of what you're looking for. I hope this helps!

Hello, I was wondering if there are different weights involved in GPAs. For instance, I went to a school that has a great reputation and is known for rigorous class work. I have a lower GPA than I would if I went to a less rigorous university-- is this ever considered when looking at candidates?

@JAS15 Thank you for your questions. Yes, some programs, not all, weigh the institution when considering GPAs. That being said, it's important that you've attempted to come as close to the recommended or required GPA as you can. If programs don't weigh the school you attended you should consider retaking prerequisites to boost your GPA. Although you and probably some committee members realize the rigors of the school you attended, never mention out loud that "because I went to XYZ school I know a C there would be an A at ABC school." I hear this statement a lot when meeting with applicants or from applicants who interview and have attended a prestigious school. It may be the case in some situations, but it's perceived as arrogant and an excuse--In some instances I know that wasn't the intent of the applicant, but it just doesn't sit well with some committees. Please don't take it as me assuming you would say something like that, but keep that in mind as you go through the process. There are more tactful ways to approach the subject. I hope this helps!

Hi everyone! On April 24th and 25th a FREE Physician Assistant Virtual Fair is available to prospective students. Currently, there are 25+ programs signed up, Methodist being one of them. If you're interested in signing up please click here. I will be on there answering questions for our program if you have any! I hope many of you take advantage of the FREE opportunity!

Most programs have an 8 credit prereq. for general biology. If my first 3 credit class in gen bio didn't go so well, should I try and retake that class or take an upper level biology class instead? Also, if I decide to go with the upper level biology class, can I use that to cover my general bio prereq? The intro class was cellular biology and the upper level class I'm planning on taking is developmental biology (covers similar material).

Thank you!

@themickk Thank you for your question. Our program requires 8 additional hours of biology and we would prefer to see upper level courses, but have counted the fundamentals of Biology. I tend to count the ones you've performed best in. I would check with other programs, but I'm assuming an upper level class with a better grade would be counted. Thanks!

Hello, I appreciate the time you are taking to answer questions, I imagine my question as been answered but please bear with me. Here are my "stats" and my question is if I am too old or thought of as too much of a non traditional student in terms of PA admissions.

I have a bachelors degree in social science

I have a MBA with concentration in marketing

Owned and sold a business that I started, worked it for about 8 years. Other business experience before hand.

I am 39 years old, will be 40 when done with pre req sciences.

Will have the clinical hours from EMT and MA combo.

Have a very strong passion to work with the elderly population. I am also of course considering nursing ( second degree BSN ) or some combo thereof. I would ideally like to be a PA and am curious what you thought of my age and background.

I appreciate your time,

Kelli H.

Thanks so much for having this thread as a resource! I had a question about GRE scores. How high would a GRE score need to be in order to help an applicant? I know minimum scores are generally around 300, but I have heard that GRE can count as a plus on your application if it’s high enough. What would your program consider a high enough GRE score (or percentiles) to help an applicant’s chances?

@queenofkings Thank you for your questions. No, you're not too old to pursue PA school and no program would use age against you in the admissions process. Don't be discouraged by the average age of most students who enter PA school..I believe the average of the age of people applying is around 26-27. However, there is a mix of ages in most programs that are at the master's level so it's not uncommon to have "non-traditional" students apply. There is a big need for providers in geriatrics so I think that may be a unique talking point about yourself. Like our program, meeting the selection factors on paper, having solid clinical experience, good recommendations should hopefully get you an interview if you apply early. Prepare for your interview as much as you would prepare for your application. The interview is what will secure your spot in a program. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions!

@alexandra PPA Thank you for your questions. Our program recommends a combined score of 297 or higher. Typically, if you're at a 300 you should be fairly competitive for most programs who place emphasis on GRE scores. If you break it down scoring a 300 is probably within the 50th percentile for each category of scores. For our program, usually being in the 45th-50th percentile in each category is fairly competitive. I hope this helps!