Ask a PA Admissions Director

Ok, so here is an example. I want to say that patients have strong faith in a knowledgeable and professional PA. Do I need to explain how I know it? I know it because I have paid attention to how the PA approached to the petients, comprehended signs and symtoms and came to a diagnosis. As a result , patients' problems were solved. This kind of patients tend to bring their families, friends, or relatives to see such a PA. My question is, with a word limitation of 600 minus plus, do I have to explain how I know this?

Greetings!

First, thank you so much for your time. I would like to know how quarter credits will factor in. I completed (most of) my science pre-reqs a few years ago while in college. At his point (for some schools) I will need to retake them because they will be past the 5 yr limit. Also I still need to take a few upper level science classes. The University near me operates on a quarter system. If I take these classes on a quarter system will this effect me negatively. For example: If I take Organic 1 and 2 in the quarter system...will this give me enough hours/credit in the eyes of CASPA and the PA schoos? Lastly, in your opinion is it best to retake science classes if a C was received or to take an upper level science class to show mastery? Or both?

Thank you!

@billkisbi Thank you for your questions. I would recommend you contact the programs that you're interested in to see what their policies are for international students. I know with our program, we would work with our international undergrad admissions office to get guidance on how to proceed with admitting/clearing you to /for the program. As far as job placement, I'm really unsure of how most offices would view you as a potential employee. As you go through gaining your healthcare experience I would recommend you talk with the various office managers to get their opinion. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@sijia Thank you for your question. Did the PA offer any feedback to what they thought you could add, change, delete from the personal statement? My advice would be to start the personal statement with those talking points but conclude strong with how you feel your background fits into the role of a PA. I'm hoping maybe that may be the point they were talking about. Consider your HCE, desire and skill set that would be beneficial to maybe a primary care setting and be sure to communicate your level of understanding of the PA/physician relationship. It's probably best to follow up again with the PA who reviewed the statement for further guidance. I can always review it via a private message or email at jmish@methodist.edu. Thanks!

@J4JM0912 Thank you for your questions. From our program's standpoint we will count the quarter classes. We have never asked an applicant to go back and retake a course due to it being on a quarter system. However, you should check with the programs you're applying to to make sure they are ok with you taking those courses.

Regarding your other question, I do recommend students consider retaking prerequisites with a C especially if it is a biology or chemistry requirement. You can consider taking above and beyond to also improve your competitiveness. Hope this helps!

@J4JM0912 Thank you for your questions. From our program's standpoint we will count the quarter classes. We have never asked an applicant to go back and retake a course due to it being on a quarter system. However, you should check with the programs you're applying to to make sure they are ok with you taking those courses.

Regarding your other question, I do recommend students consider retaking prerequisites with a C especially if it is a biology or chemistry requirement. You can consider taking above and beyond to also improve your competitiveness. Hope this helps!

Thanks you so much for your help!!!! It is greatly appreciated :-)

hello admissions director,

thank for this post. i appreciate it. you gave me advice on an interview a couple of months back.. i got waitlisted, i found out i got in, i am very excited. my question is getting a master's degree in PA studies versus getting a PA certificate and a masters in medical science. at this school, they are an accredited program with the ARC and are board eligible, but should i be concerned about the pa masters degree versus pa certificate/masters in med science issue? deep down i am not, just wanted to ask you.

Dear PA Admissions Director,

Unfortunately I have been rejected from most of the programs that I applied to this cycle (so far 17/22 and still haven't heard from 5). What is the proper etiquette when requesting an inquiry for a rejection? Should I address the program in general, even programs that I interviewed with? Or should I address specific individuals? And how long or short should the request be?

Also, is it appropriate to send thank you notes after an interview? I sent out 3 thank you notes to the 3 programs that I interviewed with and was rejected by all 3. Perhaps this act is no longer appropriate?

Thank you in advance!

Dear PA Admission Director,

First, I want to thank you for this post. Your comments have been very helpful. I am currently a senior and will graduate this May 2013 with a Biological Science BS. I have a concern regarding my stats. My cGPA is 3.53 and sGPA is 3.45. I had one bad semester, sophomore year 2nd semester, due to personal problems and received B- in Genetics and Physics, and C+ in Orgo 2. I do want to mention that I received an A- in Orgo 1 and As in both Human phys and anatomy. Beside that one semester, I received mostly As, A-, and some Bs on my science classes. I have 500 hours working as EKG/Phlebotomist tech, 100 hour as nurse assistant such as taking vital signs, and 50 hours of shadowing. I conducted a research project with a biology professor for a year. After I graduate, I will work for a year to obtain more HCE and apply for the next cycle in summer of 2014. I hope to have at least 2000+ hours of HCE before I apply. I have not taken the GREs yet. However, I feel that I may not be competitive enough due to my GPA. What would you recommend to make my application stronger? Should I retake those classes or explain the bad semester in my essay? How many PA school should I apply to and will the schools participating in CASPA know how many I apply to? If I apply to 15 schools, will the schools feel that I am not interested in going to their program because I applied to so many. Any advice or any information will be greatly appreciated and thank you again for your input!

Edited by arashid

@Yaklloyd Congrats! I would not be concerned with the name of the degree. Every school is different when it comes to what the actual degree is called. For example, our degree is a Masters of Medical Science (MMS) in PA Studies..some of the other programs in our state have a Masters of PA Studies (MPHA). So, no, I would not worry especially since they are ARC accredited. Best wishes in PA school!

@dulcinea Thank you for your questions. I think it would be appropriate to send the program contact person an email to ask if there are any suggestions they can make to improve either your academics or interview skills. I would keep the request short and to the point and address programs on an individual basis. Some may offer feedback, some may not. In regards to your thank you cards, I think it is a very appropriate thing to do. One of the most impressive things I've seen one of our applicants do this year is send thank you cards to every student who participated on our student panel. I think the thank you card is a lost art. I can't imagine it would ever hurt a decision. Keep your head up and best wishes.

@arashid Thank you for your questions. According to your GPA stats you seem to be fairly competitive with the applicant pool I'm seeing this year. However, you may want to consider retaking Genetics and Org II to see if you can score B+ or higher. Also, consider what is required for the programs that interest you to determine if any further courses should be taken if you're deficient in any required coursework or if you should retake them. You can make reference, briefly, in your personal statement the reasoning behind your poor performance, but don't make your statement all about it. Prepare for the GRE and take it early so you can allow yourself enough time to go back and retake it if you need to.

I honestly cannot make a recommendation about how many programs you should apply to. You have the option to apply to every single program that participates in CASPA (which is the majority of programs). My advice I can offer for how to choose a program is to look at the follow things:

- Have you completed the requirements, met them and/or will meet them by appropriate deadlines. If you don't think you're willing to take additional courses to meet their requirements its not worth your time to apply.

- Research mission/vision statements to ensure their in line with your medical goals

- Research student and faculty testimonials if available

- Visit programs if you're able to

- Are they in the area of the country in which you're willing to live

- Does the curriculum or teaching style match your learning style

We don't ask how many programs applicants apply to, we really assume the majority of them have applied to several.

These are a few things you should consider when deciding what programs would be a good fit for you. Hope this helps!

Hello,

I am an older student with a question regarding academic performance. I have completed at BS in Chemistry in 2008 and a Masters in Biology in 2012. I have a strong academic performance in my graduate studies and prerequisite courses, with a GPA of 3.7 but I have a few major bumps in my undergraduate career due to serious illness of a child. This has significantly decreased my overall GPA to a 3.0. I also have a current GRE( taken Jan 2012) score of 320 with a 4.5 in writing section I am interested to know how undergraduate grades are weighed in comparison to graduate grades,working experience with patients, and GRE scores. I also would like to know if you would have any tips or suggestions with regards making my application stronger.

Any advice or in sight that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

@PhD-PA Thank you for your question. In my opinion I think you have proven your academic ability through your master's degree and in your prerequisite GPA. I don't think programs, including ours, will overlook your undergraduate performance, BUT that being said, you have rebounded quite nicely especially when you also consider your GRE scores. If your HCE is solid and you have actual hands on time with patients I do think PA school is an option. I would encourage you to consider making a brief reference in your personal statement that you recognize your below average performance in undergrad, why it was poor and what you've done to overcome/prove to admissions committees that you have the potential to handle the rigorous curriculum. Your HCE should also demonstrate your personal desire to be a PA and helped shape an understanding of the PA's role in the medical field. If you have time, make an appointment with the programs that interest you to see if they would have the same outlook. Hope this helps!

Hello PA Admin,

January has ended and i went through my first application cycle with all rejections/no interview invites. although i was hesitant about applying this year because of low gpa, i thought i had some solid experiences and applications boosters that would have warranted me at least one interview. i graduated a div 1 school with a 2.85. i had a very bad semester fall of my sophomore year which i contribute to personal issues. aside from the gpa i was captain of a my collegate swim team and went on to compete at the Olympic trial and world champ trial level which also was a large time commitment for me, which was a contributing factor to my grades. since graduation i have landed a clinical research position that i have been at for 2+ years (~4000 hours)which i am in heavy contact w patients hooking up ecg leads, collecting salivary samples, ect. I also work very closely with my attending physicians, fellows, residents, PA and NP in and out of the operating room. I have also been taking a constant stream of upper level bio classes (24 going on 28 credits) at Harvard to make up for my gpa (post bacc 3.66). currently i still fall short at a 2.95.my gre were also withing the competitive ranges for all schools (309 69% verbal, 56% quant). im at a slight loss of direction on which way to go at this point. with zero interview invites i feel as though a large overhaul needs to be done in order to put my self at a position where i can be even slightly competitive for a program. i am just starting an immunology course with thoughts of taking an online organic chemistry course (a retake for me) taught out of UNE but i also understand courses like this are not looked at in the best of light to admin committees. do think i should stay more path taking courses 1 at a time, favoring a slow but steady gpa increase or should i go for the new HCE route and change my job.

@thormor Thank you for your questions. I do think you should continue taking/retaking the courses or prerequisites that are required of the schools you're applying to, but stay away from the online courses if at all possible (especially the organics). The frustrating part about retaking courses is that it is very difficult to bring up an overall GPA, however, you're on the right track to boost yours. Your post-bacc work should work in your favor especially for the next application cycle. I'm hoping the schools will consider your most recent 30-45 hours and see what you've done to prove yourself and academic potential to admissions committees. Our program is a big fan of students who were athletes at the collegiate level and think you all bring a lot of determination, adaptability, and team work to the program. Sometimes it may take more than one shot at applying to programs so keep your head up and try for the next cycle which opens on April 17th. Hope this helps.

I have been accepted to several dual BM/MS 6 year Physician Assistant Programs and one University that offers a 4 year BS/certificate Physician Assistant program. Can you tell me the difference between earning a Masters Degree or a Certificate and how that would impact my careeer as a Physician Assistant. Thank you.

Quick question: I have a competitive GPA (above 3.9) and a decent GRE (verbal 90+ percentile, math 60+). I also served 4 years in the military as an officer (not in a healthcare related field.) However, I have the bare minimum of HCE for my program (shadowing plus some volunteer hours). Also, the last 5 years are kind of a black hole as far as my résumé goes, as I was at home with my two children.

In your estimation, is it even worth my time to apply this cycle or wait a year or two until I can get paid HCE? I think I know the answer, but it would be nice to get a professional opinion. Thank you for your time.

Science undergrad GPA: 3.61

Cumulative undergrad GPA: 3.36

Last 30 credits: 3.8

GRE: (i am planning on retaking) - Math: 146; Verbal: 155; still waiting on my writing scores

Age at time of application: 22

Direct Patient Care:

Medical Laboratory Technologist: ..............................................2000 hours

Humanitarian working in clinics in another country:.....................500 hours

PA shadowing:........................................ ....................................120 hours

Surgical externship at Greater Baltimore Medical Center:..............600 hours

Volunteering at St. Agnes Medical Center.....................................200 hours

Working as a Certified Pharmacy Tech..........................................4000 hours

=7000+ HCE hours

Associates of Applied Science in Medical Laboratory Technology

.........................School of Allied Health Professions in Baltimore County

Bachelors in Biology

.........................Morgan State University

-Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician

-First Aid Certified by the Red Cross

-ACLS/BLS Certified by the American Heart Association

-Trained phlebotomist

I am looking to apply to schools for the cycle opening up this year, would you consider me a competitive candidate? My cum. GPA is what concerns me a little...

What kind of GRE score should I aim for?

Edited by sumarachi

paadmissions, I think that it is absolutely incredible that you have taken the time to do this for all of us. I've spent the last couple of hours searching through questions and answers and have been greatly appreciative of all of the great advice given. I did not go through each page of this thread; however, so forgive me if this has been brought up already but I would love to hear what you have to say about Methodist University. I've been searching through PA program lists and program websites to help me decide which schools I might like to apply to, and I'm really interested in seeing what you think are the best things that Methodist University has to offer.

Again, I think this thread is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for this great resource!

@lucky0501 I don't think it will impact your career if you get a masters or certificate. I'm assuming the programs you've been accepted to are ARC-PA accredited which means you're eligible to sit for the PANCE and that they're meeting the standards set forth for running a good program. I believe the difference in the programs may be the addition of a capstone/thesis project of some sort. That was the difference in our curriculum when we transitioned from a bachelor's degree to a master's degree in 2003. Be sure to check the curriculum on their websites to see the major differences. However, I'm pretty sure they should be fairly similar. I hope this helps!

@Moiraine57 Thank you for your questions and military service. I would definitely delay your application one cycle until you're able to get more quality hours for the programs you're applying to. I would imagine most programs will want to see more than shadowing and volunteer hours, however, don't discount these experiences as they will be helpful to help you understand the role of a PA. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@sumarchi Thank you for your questions. I do think you're a well rounded applicant for PA school. I can't see many areas that need much improvement at all. Keep in mind, at least from our standpoint, we don't expect to see all 4.0 GPAs so don't beat yourself up over having a 3.6. That's right in the range of what I'm seeing for our applicant pool and probably many other programs. I do think your GRE is competitive, but double check the averages of the schools you're applying to. I would say a combined score of 297-300 is fairly competitive at least with our program. Prepare for your interview as much as you prepare for your application. Hope this helps!