New Grad Plastics/Wound Care Offer

Received my first job offer today.  Would like some input as to my compensation package!  Thank y'all in advance for your feedback!

Practice: working closely with one physician, mostly surgical FA with pre and post op care, some wound care that requires travel, and some work in the cosmetic clinic; currently projected at a 6 month intensive training period but physician is open to tailor it based upon my progression

Salary: $95k for the first year with government standard mileage if I'm doing house calls or traveling between clinics, no guarenteed raise that I'm aware of, opportunity to restructure to base + % of collections once I'm productive, no salary cap

Hours: likely 50+ hours/week based upon what current PA works, will take call and round on hospital patients on the weekends but am able to request some weekends off if I feel that I need some free time (physician states they may consider splitting call and rounding between myself and the current PA)

Benefits: 3 month probationary period, 401K with match, health insurance (HSA) with 3600/year employer contribution, 10 days ETO for the first year that I begin accruing day 1 but cannot use until after probabtion, I will be added to the practice's existing malpractice policy +/- tail coverage, medical center parking covered by employer

No CME allowance or dedicated time off for CME (expected to go to affiliated hospital for free CME or request employer to pay for CME on a case by case basis)

DEA required but not paid for by employer.

State license and associated fees not paid for by employer.

I'm not so sure the physician is open to negotiations on this contract.  May possibly increase my salary if I give up some benefits.  PA that currently works for physician says the physician is a fantastic educator and states I will learn an enormous amount. 

My dilemma is that my salary seems far below average/median salary for new grad California PAs (115k based off AAPA salary report), however, this offer is on par with 0 to 1 year experience plastics PA salaries reported in the AAPA salary report, though the statistical population is very small (n=7). I know plastics is hard to break into as a new grad and the experience I would gain is invaluable but given LA has such a high cost of living, I wonder if I should hold out until another job offer with higher pay comes around.  It seems very possible that my salary may increase rapidly after the first year if I truly put in the work but that hasn't been directly stated.

Sounds like this physician wants to hire someone for $35/hr to do all their work. Terrible offer in my opinion unless this is something you specifically want to do. The pay is way too low, not enough PTO, you should always have CME money, fees should be covered by the employer, the list goes on.....

That's a pretty bad offer. I started in ortho in LA over 4 years ago with 95K salary too, but with better benefits and a 10% collections bonus and less hours and no call or travel. You should really try to negotiate if you can. 

Salary - You should try to add a % of collections now rather than later. If you're not collecting much then you won't get anything, phrase it that way. Although I get 10% of all collections, you can say 20% of collections over 200K or something so he knows he won't have to pay extra until you're making him money.

Benefits - What is the match? Working 50+ hours a week with only 2 weeks off is recipe for burnout, I get 3 weeks plus another week for CME. I'm a bit confused about the medical insurance. He pays 3,600 towards your HSA or your premium? Since HSA has a maximum 3,500 a year it sounds like premium. If so, your premium cost is going to be a lot, 300/month is not much. 

CME - Obviously not ideal. 2K and 3 days is pretty standard. 

License/DEA - This is unacceptable. Your employer should pay for the things that are required for you to do your work. You're an employee not a contractor.

Problem is right now is not a great time economically. I'd say if you can get the bonus in there then go for it. If you can't, make sure to get fees paid for and maybe some more PTO. 

• Upvote 1

Someone else already nailed this. At 50hrs/wk you will be making $36/hr. I can't even wrap my mind around that. Did I also read correctly that you'll be working all the weekends as well?

The licensing/CME thing is pretty unacceptable in my mind as well.

$36/hour. Look up what the average RN wage is in LA.

1 hour ago, MediMike said:

Someone else already nailed this. At 50hrs/wk you will be making $36/hr. I can't even wrap my mind around that. Did I also read correctly that you'll be working all the weekends as well?

The licensing/CME thing is pretty unacceptable in my mind as well.

$36/hour. Look up what the average RN wage is in LA.

Exactly my previous point.. don't accept this position with such pay. Did you spend $100-200K and all that time in school to make $35 an hour?

• Upvote 1

I was a new grad just a year ago and know how tough it can be!  I also work in plastics which- uggghhh it is so hard to get a good salary without experience.

My two cents, this offer is a bummer, but considering the time we are in- 

I'd consider accepting it if they can guarantee you to only work 40-45 hours a week, or switch you to hourly so the long hours are worth it.  And...fine if they dont want to pay your initial CA license, but I find it unacceptable for them to not pay your ongoing license renewals.

As I navigated the offers last year as a new grad, ALL of them would at least pay the ongoing license fee renewals.  None offered to pay the initial license.

Good luck!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, ttusk said:

Received my first job offer today.  Would like some input as to my compensation package!  Thank y'all in advance for your feedback!

Practice: working closely with one physician, mostly surgical FA with pre and post op care, some wound care that requires travel, and some work in the cosmetic clinic; currently projected at a 6 month intensive training period but physician is open to tailor it based upon my progression

Salary: $95k for the first year with government standard mileage if I'm doing house calls or traveling between clinics, no guarenteed raise that I'm aware of, opportunity to restructure to base + % of collections once I'm productive, no salary cap

Hours: likely 50+ hours/week based upon what current PA works, will take call and round on hospital patients on the weekends but am able to request some weekends off if I feel that I need some free time (physician states they may consider splitting call and rounding between myself and the current PA)

Benefits: 3 month probationary period, 401K with match, health insurance (HSA) with 3600/year employer contribution, 10 days ETO for the first year that I begin accruing day 1 but cannot use until after probabtion, I will be added to the practice's existing malpractice policy +/- tail coverage, medical center parking covered by employer

No CME allowance or dedicated time off for CME (expected to go to affiliated hospital for free CME or request employer to pay for CME on a case by case basis)

DEA required but not paid for by employer.

State license and associated fees not paid for by employer.

I'm not so sure the physician is open to negotiations on this contract.  May possibly increase my salary if I give up some benefits.  PA that currently works for physician says the physician is a fantastic educator and states I will learn an enormous amount. 

My dilemma is that my salary seems far below average/median salary for new grad California PAs (115k based off AAPA salary report), however, this offer is on par with 0 to 1 year experience plastics PA salaries reported in the AAPA salary report, though the statistical population is very small (n=7). I know plastics is hard to break into as a new grad and the experience I would gain is invaluable but given LA has such a high cost of living, I wonder if I should hold out until another job offer with higher pay comes around.  It seems very possible that my salary may increase rapidly after the first year if I truly put in the work but that hasn't been directly stated.

Late to the party. What'd you end up doing? Did you talk with the current PA and did they seem happy with their setup? How long have they been there?

Unfortunately, I agree with the others. Crap pay for COL, even crappier for the hours, and you're expected to work every weekend?

However, times are tough (especially for you new grads) so getting a decent job may be hard to come by.