I've got a pt diabetic ED allergies to Neosporin and other tropical antibiotic ointments history of CHF and diabetes pt wants to know what we can for her doesn't want admission, called the dermatologist they're coming into see them in the emerg, let's see who gives ideas first. What would you do? 

Ps. Pt on diuretics and BGL been 200s stable 

Pss. Hospital, age, sex, etc etc removed for past privacy 

IMG_20240224_135534.jpg

I can't really tell from the pic if the drainage is clear serosang or somewhat opaque; it has a bit of opacity to me...

If it's clear, I'd do wound care. If there's active drainage with a purulent component, I'd also put them on a course of abx. If there's a bit of pus but not actively draining and not concerning for infection, I'd unroof the scab a bit as it can harbor bacteria and create a nidus for infection. I'd then use Xeroform on the unroofed skin. You can cut a square and send the rest home with the pt until they can get in to see someone. 

• Upvote 1