Dismissed from PA school

Hi there, I was recently dismissed from my PA program due to failing a course. I know that it is hard, but not impossible to get into another PA program. I just wanted to know if there is anyone on this forum who was personally dismissed from a PA program, reapplied, and successfully got into another program. If so, what did you do to make yourself a stronger applicant, and did you specifically mention the dismissal in your personal statement, or just in CASPA?

Oh, Please don't mention trying another career in medicine. I know it's a big red flag once dismissed, but I am aware that acceptance into another PA school does indeed happen.

Thank you in advance.

• Upvote 1

There are several threads in this vein if you search the forum.

Not only is it hard, it may very well be impossible to reapply and be accepted.  Often the best option you have is to decelerate/remediate/get back into the program from which you were dismissed.

If previous threads are any indication, I can't say I've read of a success story of a dismissed student reapplying and being accepted.

With thousands of applicants each cycle, programs have so many options it would be hard to convince them to take a chance on someone who has shown they can't handle PA school (for any number of reasons) instead of taking a chance on someone with a clean record.

This is not meant to be discouraging, just realistic.

Edited by MT2PA
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Anything is possible!

If becoming a PA is your dream, work hard and show schools why you deserve another chance. That won't be an easy task, but it's most definitely not impossible. 

You are of course going to be compared to other applicants without a dismissal in their histories, but that is not something that should come as a surprise, and that fact alone does not determine your fate.

Those are excellent questions, I hope someone else who was successful in your position does answer, I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Good luck!