I had a horrific semester... Seriously

So I just finished my second semester of my second year and it has been the hardest thing I have ever had to face. All throughout highschool and my first two years I have always gotten A's and B's in all my classes. However this semester, I got an F in BIO 100(which at my school is a course equivalent to a 300 level class at other schools so it was hard on its own) and a NC in chem(I'm retaking it this summer because my professor offered it to me and I know for a fact I can get an A in that class) and a C in calculus. Let's just say that this semester, life decided to bury me with everything that would ensure I could not focus on my studies. My parents were fighting DAILY and used me as their buffer/middle man and decided divorce was the answer (and a nasty one at that). Because my parents were too busy fighting, they forgot that they had 3 kids to look after but we're so caught up in what they were doing I ended up doing all the cooking/cleaning/shopping for the house. I had to take up a second job as well because I had to pay for things for my siblings and the house that I couldn't afford on just the one job. I had class three days a week from 7am-10pm which meant I wasn't home from 5am-midnight because I have a horrible commute. And I worked the other 4 days. (2 jobs) so I would get all my studying in during my little breaks at school and let's just say I didn't really sleep this semester. I obviously want to go into PA but I don't think I can now with how horrible my grades were this semester. My GPA is still above a 3 but it is no longer competitive. I'm really scared for my future because I cannot retake BIO 100 because I also pay for my own tuition and I can't afford to retake the class. I can only afford to move forward. I start orgo and lab in the fall and I'm excited bc I love orgo and I'm actually good at it. And a few other classes that go towards my human bio major that I'm not worried about. Despite what my grades show, sciences and maths have always been my strong suit and honestly, I'm not changing my career path. I know I'm a smart cookie, and that I can get an A in the rest of my classes as long as I think of myself for a bit. And Ik that's selfish but it's true.I had no choice but to be there for my family this semester and my grades suffered greatly for it. I know that is no excuse and it won't be for PA School but I don't know what to do now. I'm at a loss and I'm genuinely slipping into depression from all thats happened. I feel like I just ruined my future... Is there a shot at me still getting into PA School? I GENUINELY cannot see myself doing anything else. Maybe in the future I can retake BIO but for now I have to think of my possibilities for without retaking it. 

Any insight would be IMMENSELY appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

All the best,

Mariam

Most importantly, getting the depression treated and under control is important. Have you considered seeking a therapist to help deal with this? Your university or college may have resources at your disposal.

As far as academics, as long as your GPA is above a 3.0 (which seems to be the cutoff for 75%+ schools) you will have at least a chance. If you read some previous posts, there are stories with students who had F's, D's, and W's on their transcripts getting into PA school. You definitely need to retake BIO since it is a prerequisite in nearly all schools.

Have you considered taking summer courses at a local community college? You can probably take BIO there for 1/3 the cost.

I got multiple acceptances and interviews (some from "big name" schools) last cycle on my first time applying with 8 F's, 6 D's, and an academic dismissal on my transcripts. My first semester of college GPA was a 0.something. Of course, I also had a ton of A's.

Point is that the door never closes, it just becomes harder to go through. I definitely didn't take the easiest path and would do things very differently if I could. Do whatever it is that you need to do in order to protect your GPA going forward, even if that is working less or taking fewer credits. You will certainly have to retake BIO100 and Chem since both are prereqs, and you probably need a sufficient grade in them in order to advance to other higher level prereqs. I wouldn't bother retaking anything that isn't a prereq.

11 hours ago, Cadapter said:

Most importantly, getting the depression treated and under control is important. Have you considered seeking a therapist to help deal with this? Your university or college may have resources at your disposal.

As far as academics, as long as your GPA is above a 3.0 (which seems to be the cutoff for 75%+ schools) you will have at least a chance. If you read some previous posts, there are stories with students who had F's, D's, and W's on their transcripts getting into PA school. You definitely need to retake BIO since it is a prerequisite in nearly all schools.

Have you considered taking summer courses at a local community college? You can probably take BIO there for 1/3 the cost.

Thank you so much! I am planning on taking bio in the summer at a different school. 

10 hours ago, DayBox said:

I got multiple acceptances and interviews (some from "big name" schools) last cycle on my first time applying with 8 F's, 6 D's, and an academic dismissal on my transcripts. My first semester of college GPA was a 0.something. Of course, I also had a ton of A's.

Point is that the door never closes, it just becomes harder to go through. I definitely didn't take the easiest path and would do things very differently if I could. Do whatever it is that you need to do in order to protect your GPA going forward, even if that is working less or taking fewer credits. You will certainly have to retake BIO100 and Chem since both are prereqs, and you probably need a sufficient grade in them in order to advance to other higher level prereqs. I wouldn't bother retaking anything that isn't a prereq.

This helped me a lot thank you so much!

All the best, 

M

8 hours ago, JD2012 said:

If your GPA is still a 3.4 3.5 you are fine as long as you can maintain that.

If it gets into the lower 3.0 area then you have to make it up for it and fluff the rest of your application, but it is doable. Been there done that.

This semester made my Gpa into the lower 3 so I'm going to do everything I can to raise it

Thank you ! All the best,

M

• 3 years later...

Hi. I just read through you thread and have never related to something in my life. I’m currently a first year at my dream school, yet I’ve been having trouble adjusting. I’m also a pre med major. Idk if I wanna be a PA or MD yet. How’s everything been since then ?? Have you become the PA you set out to be ?

• 2 months later...

Look at it this way: from this very second that you are reading this an onwards, you can only IMPROVE. Let this be your selling point on your personal statement when it come to applications. I know friends who have bombed a quarter, and still got into PA school because their transcripts were able to speak for themselves. A upward trend is KEY. Not every single student in this country can go to college for four years and not come across a major setback in their personal life.

I have been in college for six years and I was so lucky for the first 5.5 years. Until finally, my very last quarter at Uni and now im dealing with family members being hospitalized with covid, not being able to focus, missing class, got a D on the midterm. ITS ALL OK. Its completely natural. Now that you know that you have a blip on your transcript (just like 90% of other pre-PAs out there) begin to make up for it by getting As and getting those hours! you got this.