When to take Pance

I’ve heard a lot of different opinions about when you should take the PANCE after graduating. Week after graduation? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? I know it will depend on how ready you feel for it and how much you have studied, but wondering what some of y’all opinions are? 

I’m taking mine a week after graduation. I did well on PACKRAT a few months ago and have done well on my EOR’s, and my advisor and I feel comfortable with me taking it a week after I graduate. Any longer and I’d just be a ball of stress and anxiety. I’m ready to get it done

• Like 1

I personally will be looking at my packrat score after clinicals. If you didn't do well, take an extra couple of weeks to study. If you scored well above what is considered the minimal passing PANCE equivalent, maybe take a few days to a week to brush up. The extra time needed is much better than the 90 days you'll have to wait if you fail, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

• Administrator

In Portland, OHSU held a 3-day board review course the week after both OHSU and Pacific graduated their PA classes.  In that sort of an environment, there is simply no academic excuse for not taking your boards as soon as possible.  Delaying PANCE delays every single other aspect of getting into practice.

• Upvote 1

Why delay?  Take it the first day you're eligible to take it.  It's easy to fall into the trap of "...I'll just push it back another week *then* I'll be ready...".  If that's the case you'll never feel ready.

The longer you wait to get it done, as Rev noted, the longer it takes for everything else to start.  Take the test.  Get it done.  Get on with the very reason you went to school.

• 2 weeks later...

I always advise students to take it as soon as possible. The earliest you can take it is one week after graduation. 

The only exception I would consider is if a student felt they had a big deficit in cardio, pulm, GI or musculoskeletal. If they could squeeze in a review course or had the self discipline to conduct intense review on their own, it might be worth stalling another week or so. 

You'll probably never be book smarter than the day you walk out of school. Happily, street smarter is more important. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took it 2 weeks after graduation. Took 4-5 days off after graduation to basically lay on the beach all day, then studied for a few days prior to the test. You know more than you think you do and if you did well on your EOR exams and pay attention during your board review and review pance prep pearls on stuff you're unsure about you'll do fine. The practice tests offered by the NCCPA were pretty helpful too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the thing with the PANCE - over 90% of people pass on the first try. 

That's not exactly the definition of a horribly difficult test. Schools do a good job of preparing students. If you did well in school and your school has a good pass rate there should not be much to be nervous about. Don't sweat it.

• 1 month later...