New Job opportunity for me.

I am in negotiations right now for a specialty job. I've decided to finally leave Primary Care behind. But the new job is only offering 30k less than my current salary at full time vs my current part time schedule (0.8FTE now vs 1.0FTE at the new place) but like I said we are in negotiations.

Their full time is 4 days pt care days 8 hrs/day and a paid admin day at home. No call or weekends. Right now I am 4 pt care days no call or weekends. My day off during the week is truly my day off.

My current company pays very well. In my area about $20-30/hr more than other places. But money ain't errythang... [emoji19]

We have recently been overrun by an outside corporate mindset management group. Lots of little nonclinical tasks and scut on top of our very busy pt load (I see 18-22 pts per day not to mention phone messages, emails, refills, referrals etc and my CP and I have one of the largest panels in the group). They seem to have zero loyalty to top producing providers except the medical directors. 4 physicians and TNTC APPs have already left in the past year or so along with several support staff and old managers (clinical background) were demoted or forced to retire. Needless to say, I'm seeing the writing on the wall.

I also have a beat on another job at my current company but would be at a different specialty and different managers but still the same mindset, I would assume. I would keep my 0.8FTE status and same pay, seniority and benefits but the specialty is not as desirable to me and I am contemplating a "clean break from the company."

The outside job, like I mentioned, is offering 30k lower pay and a bit more of a commute (time wise not distance as it is actually closer but in an urban setting and more traffic) but I will be seeing 50% of my current patient schedule despite full time vs my current part time job and the 4th day (Fridays) are paid admin days from home like I mentioned. Basic medical dental and vision, 401k with lower match than my current company but they pay 2500/yr for CME stipend, all license and DEA fees and societal dues, 250/mo for commute costs/parking.

I'm trying to get them to come up a but more on their end but I know they are a smaller practice and do not have the deep pockets of my current company. But... another perk is it's a private practice and I would ditch my corporate non clinical taskmasters...

It's hard. I know I said money is not paramount but I do need some still lol, and what their first offer is is very low for me.

I wanted to see what some of you guys thoughts were and maybe get some advice.

Sorry for the long post. I've spoken to some of you guys on here in PMs about this and have posted here wanting to leave before.

TL/DR: My current job is beginning to suck and I have some options but they ain't exactly perfect. Need advice. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Just throwing out an idea....

Corporate scut work might come with deadlines, but likely doesnt come with quality requirements.  Want a white paper on how to increase patient satisfaction scores?  I can send ya one in about 3 minutes.  It WONT be one the adminiscritter sends to the C-suite, and he might not ask me for any more stupid white papers.

Incompetence can hide in large organizations (see the government for best example).  Maybe become administratively incompetent?

Just throwing out an idea.... Corporate scut work might come with deadlines, but likely doesnt come with quality requirements.  Want a white paper on how to increase patient satisfaction scores?  I can send ya one in about 3 minutes.  It WONT be one the adminiscritter sends to the C-suite, and he might not ask me for any more stupid white papers.

Incompetence can hide in large organizations (see the government for best example).  Maybe become administratively incompetent?

Lol I have already become "administratively incompetent" and he tried to give me a lecture. I told him I trained in medicine not pushing paper. He didn't like that too much lol.  

The providers have to do some training or give a talk for "Practice improvement" on a rotating schedule. He assigned me to give a training session for our MAs to improve competence in them I told him I had no time. He said "just pick anything" so I picked vital signs taking lol. Its stupid. It's really not my job to train MAs they have nursing staff and their own managers for that. When I ask for help like a scribe or block time for admin on certain days (like covering another busy provider on vacay) they say they can't help me. That's gonna be my answer. I'm getting really salty in the office lol.

If I'm on the way out the door anyway, I would push this even further.  Dont do a class on vitals...do a class on taking a pulse.  That's a 60 second class:  everyone put your fingers on your carotid, count for 15 seconds and......DONE!  Y'all have a great day, thanks!  Next class I'm teaching is taking respiratory rates, hope to see y'all there!

corporate medicine is the way of the future (and present).  You will never get the respect or compensation that you deserve.  Avoid corporate medicine as long as you can.  When you can't, consider veterinary medicine.  A wagging tail tells it all.  (even that is getting a big push by corporations right down to grooming and boarding!)  Nothing like being told what to do by someone that wouldn't know a thermometer from a tongue blade!!!   IMHO

Clearly you want to leave and have reasons for that. Reading between the lines, you seem to think the low ball alternatives are the only ones out there. They aren’t.

My advice: decide you are leaving, keep it to yourself, and find not just a different job but one that‘s better for you. In the mean time, your attitude should change because you know whatever indignity you have to deal with is temporary.

Avoid believing generalities: all corporate jobs suck, etc. There may be certain constants job-to-job but working directly for idiots is not one of them. Do your own research. Find out how your ex-coworkers like their new jobs, etc.

Life is too short to stay in a situation you don’t like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly you want to leave and have reasons for that. Reading between the lines, you seem to think the low ball alternatives are the only ones out there. They aren’t.

My advice: decide you are leaving, keep it to yourself, and find not just a different job but one that‘s better for you. In the mean time, your attitude should change because you know whatever indignity you have to deal with is temporary.

Avoid believing generalities: all corporate jobs suck, etc. There may be certain constants job-to-job but working directly for idiots is not one of them. Do your own research. Find out how your ex-coworkers like their new jobs, etc.

Life is too short to stay in a situation you don’t like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. Yes I have much to think about. I have a couple of other leads on jobs but they are all paying less or require more hours/week and other undesirables like call or weekends.

Tough spot. I'm keeping my head down at work while the search continues.

I know everyone has different experiences. I have gotten comfortable with the madness of corporate medicine mostly because I just don't care about their craziness. I just do what I do and let most of it flow right by me.

However one of my UC colleagues left and went to Rheumatology which I have always found mysterious and baffling on a good day. She still does some PRN with us once in a while and the last time we worked together she said it is like night and day. Nobody in admin bothers them because they don't understand what they do. Can't set quotas or absurd rules when they don't know what they practice does. It is less money and lot more brain work but much much calmer.

Archived