GPA - non traditional applicant

I am concerned about my GPA. As a background, I am a non traditional pre-PA student. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology more than 20 years ago from a foreign university. For the past year, I had been retaking all required pre-requisites to be able to apply to PA school. I am planning to apply next cycle (April 2019). Anyway, my concern is this: I think my cGPA from my foreign university will not even reach a 3 but my cGPA from retaking the pre-requisites (this past year)is a 3.89 and my sGPA is a 4. My patient care hours probably amounts to more than 5000 hrs and counting. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting an acceptance to PA school? Any suggestions? Opinions? Thanks!

If it has been 20 years, I doubt many schools will pay all that much attention to your old GPA. How many credits are involved in your recent GPA and have you taken anything additional to the basic requirements to demonstrate your abilities?

My favorite one to see there is pathophysiology, which is often not required but is a pretty good facsimile of some of the PA coursework.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, UGoLong said:

If it has been 20 years, I doubt many schools will pay all that much attention to your old GPA. How many credits are involved in your recent GPA and have you taken anything additional to the basic requirements to demonstrate your abilities?

My favorite one to see there is pathophysiology, which is often not required but is a pretty good facsimile of some of the PA coursework.

The biggest problem is if the cumulative GPA is sub 3.0 getting auto filtered out by systems.  Schools may see the GPA and not take the time to consider that it is old coursework.  Unfortunate but true.

5000 hrs of (unknown) PCE may not be enough to overcome that.

The biggest problem is if the cumulative GPA is sub 3.0 getting auto filtered out by systems.  Schools may see the GPA and not take the time to consider that it is old coursework.  Unfortunate but true.
5000 hrs of (unknown) PCE may not be enough to overcome that.

I don’t know about other programs, but a human being looks at our applications.

Progrmas dont always use human being to filter out applicants.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m sure that’s true.

My point is that it shouldn’t stop the OP from applying, rather than telling him (or her) that a 20-year-old GPA is, by necessity, a reason for never applying.

Hi guys! I found out that CASPA will not be including my foreign transcript in my GPA computation. I would just need to submit my transcript's evaluation (evaluated by a 3rd party agency). The schools will be given a copy of this evaluation. Will this give me a chance to NOT be filtered out by the system? CASPA will only compute my current GPA which are cGPA at 3.89 and sGPA at 4. 

3 hours ago, mae2luv said:

Hi guys! I found out that CASPA will not be including my foreign transcript in my GPA computation. I would just need to submit my transcript's evaluation (evaluated by a 3rd party agency). The schools will be given a copy of this evaluation. Will this give me a chance to NOT be filtered out by the system? CASPA will only compute my current GPA which are cGPA at 3.89 and sGPA at 4. 

It really depends on the school.  Do your research.  Reach out to programs you're interested in.  Check websites.  Some programs are more open to those with foreign earned degrees than others.  Do the leg work so you don't waste your time or money.

Not saying it's a reason NOT to apply.  Just want to put all the scenarios out there.  If you want to win against the system you have to know how the system works.

In our lives, we meet lots of people with dreams. Some will attain them, some won’t, and others will change their goals on the way. To me, our role is to help who we can.

Yes, it can be tough to reach a goal and many won’t. At the same time, it is surprising what can be overcome with hard work and perseverance. Let’s not take away hope from the seekers in the name of “realism.”

I know a guy who escaped to America with only a gym bag of clothes and little English skills. He’s in PA school right now.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:52 AM, mae2luv said:

I graduated from a foreign school, but most of my prereqs were done abroad too. I had to submit a WES for my foreign transcript, so I had my WES calculated GPA and CASPA calculated GPA from the classes I took in the states. In the CASPA system, you can't even enter your foreign transcript in. It'll just be the grades from classes that you took in the states. Since all your prerequisites are done in the states and the foreign transcript is already 20 yrs old, I think the ADCOM will only focus on your current grades. You'll also bypass the GPA filter. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me. But when you apply to schools you can always call and ask early on just to make sure. Good luck! That's awesome that you are pursuing PA school even 20 yrs out!

CASPA will calculate only your coursework done in the states. It does not include your foreign calculated GPA. Which will have to sent to them via WES. Do bump up those credits to at list 60+ because some schools do calculate your most recent 30 to 60 credits. So depends where you apply. Also, do go for those English courses and hope not to be asked for TOFEL if English is not your first language. 

Archived