Neighbors!!!

Just need to vent!

My neighbor (who is a nice guy) is convinced I am a nurse. He's in his late 70s and every time he sees me outside he says: "how's our nurse?" he goes so far as to introduce me to the neighbors as a nurse. So far I've been polite and just replied:"I'm not a nurse". This has been going on for 2 years. I've even given him a patient handout on what a PA is and does. I don't know what else to say. Today I just smiled and rudely walked off to keep from saying something I would regret and embarrassing my husband. I think next time I'm going to say: "I'm a PA, sorta like a Dr. But not an MD"

Not sure how to get it across to him. He's a nice guy, educated, has a PhD in art history. Just clueless when it come to this profession.

Just need to vent!

My neighbor (who is a nice guy) is convinced I am a nurse. He's in his late 70s and every time he sees me outside he says: "how's our nurse?" he goes so far as to introduce me to the neighbors as a nurse. So far I've been polite and just replied:"I'm not a nurse". This has been going on for 2 years. I've even given him a patient handout on what a PA is and does. I don't know what else to say. Today I just smiled and rudely walked off to keep from saying something I would regret and embarrassing my husband. I think next time I'm going to say: "I'm a PA, sorta like a Dr. But not an MD"

Not sure how to get it across to him. He's a nice guy, educated, has a PhD in art history. Just clueless when it come to this profession.

I have A neighbor who's 87 yo lady from Guyana who is a retired nurse who calls me the "Doctor's Assistant" and tells all the neighbors too. I don't sweat it too much but she always tries to get a curbside consult whenever she sees me outside. I tell her to ask her doctor. Lol

Sent from my HTC MT4GS using Tapatalk

Just need to vent!

I realize this can get old and you just need to vent, but maybe there's a not-so-obvious reason he's "clueless" and you shouldn't waste your energy wondering how you're going to get it across to him that a PA is different than a nurse. In a case like this, since he's not a patient and he's a nice neighbor, maybe you just continue to smile, take a deep breath and say "I'm well, how are you?"

Sometimes you just can't win. I was at a party where a young boy fell hard on his hand. I did a brief exam and gave his mother some advice... she asked if I was a doctor and I told her I was a PA. Later I heard her referring to me as an NP, as in, "it's so nice to have an NP right here". I told her again that I was a PA but I saw that glazed look in her eyes...so I gave up. I also give up when my family members continue to refer to me as, "she's pretty much a doctor". If they were patients, then that's one thing. I will continue to try to correct them. But when others don't quite get it and you are not their provider, I try a few times and then let it go.

I was working with a CRNA and a retired RN one day and the CRNA (who is older and didn't really know any PAs) said "So you're going to be a NP now?" The other nurse quickly said "No no, he's going to be a PA. On the hierarchy it's much better and more respected than an NP." I started to open my mouth to try and be modest, but then I shut it because it may be the only time I ever hear that.

I was working with a CRNA and a retired RN one day and the CRNA (who is older and didn't really know any PAs) said "So you're going to be a NP now?" The other nurse quickly said "No no, he's going to be a PA. On the hierarchy it's much better and more respected than an NP." I started to open my mouth to try and be modest, but then I shut it because it may be the only time I ever hear that.

That's awesome. I never heard that before, and I've been in practice for 12 years. I have heard employers say, "we prefer and NP for this job" and when I ask them why they have no idea that PAs can practice without their SP being connected to them at the hip.

• Administrator

Have you considered that it may not be misunderstanding so much as residual stereotypes? There was a time, not outside of the older gentleman's lifetime, when a female medical professional was, without many exceptions, a nurse.

I love older nurses who have good attitudes. They are an asset to any clinician. The goodbye I said to my last preceptor's nurse was "When I'm on my own seeing patients, I want a nurse just like you", because she has experience enough to guess what is going on in odd cases, and when she said "I have never seen anything quite like this" you sat up and took notice.

As an aside, I wonder if nursing will lose some of its prestige because so many capable and intelligent young women are choosing "better" healthcare careers? The RN's who are administrators and whatnot generally came in when nursing was "the" route into healthcare. Their successors are not choosing nursing with anything near that frequency, now that they have other workable choices.

Thanks guys. I know that in this area it is very much a stereotype. It just gets old...as in walking in to round and hearing: I have to go the Dr's nurse is here. My sp is great. If he hears it he makes a joke and says oh she's not a nurse, she will not like it if you call her that and chuckles....my neighbor is another thing. Some of my neighbors eventually become my patients.

Like I said I was just venting. Thanks for the response...I just need to keep a sense of humor about it.

I think rev is right, the stereotypes are still out there. My neighbor asked me once if I was a nurse (I was wearing my lab coat), and I said, no, but my husband is. She apologized for the "sexist" comment but I thought it was interesting that her first instinct was that I was a nurse. Maybe I should have told her I was a rocket scientist...

Archived