Suit jacket unbuttoned...okay?

Hi everyone. I know this might be a silly question, but I was wondering if it is acceptable/still considered professional to wear a suit jacket that isn't buttoned to an interview. I am a female, if that makes a difference. I have been (overly) stressing about my outfit, and feel so uncomfortable with my suit jacket buttoned. But obviously I would do whatever is considered more professional. Thank you!!

Hi everyone. I know this might be a silly question, but I was wondering if it is acceptable/still considered professional to wear a suit jacket that isn't buttoned to an interview. I am a female, if that makes a difference. I have been (overly) stressing about my outfit, and feel so uncomfortable with my suit jacket buttoned. But obviously I would do whatever is considered more professional. Thank you!!

Yes. Be comfortable and also, as an interviewer, I really wouldn’t care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, paPassion7 said:

I left mine unbuttoned and many other women at my interviews did as well. Didn’t seem to be an issue! 

I also left my suit jacket unbuttoned, as did almost every other female at the interview!  As long as you look put-together, with a nice fitting suit, you don't need to stress the details ? A lot of girls didn't even tuck in their shirt or anything, so honestly, it's what you feel best doing because it's better to be comfortable than fidgeting with your outfit!

Ya know, I bought my first ever jacket for my interview. It was below zero that day, and when I got out my car at the school, I was wearing my big, warm, fluffy, brownish-stained down jacket. I didn’t even realize I had forgotten my new snazzy jacket hanging in the car until after my interview! I was offered a seat that day with just khakis, a button down shirt, and a tie. Don’t go over the top, first of all. Second, you’re probably like most of us who have not spent much of our adult lives donning suits for big important meetings, and they’re not expecting you to be that stuffy ?

Unbuttoned or buttoned are both fine! I also saw many girls on interview days in the usual navy/black professional suits and I saw girls wearing pink, grey, and pinstriped suits too. Just be comfortable and confident, already stressful enough going to interviews! If you are uncomfortable or worrying about your outfit, it might translate to the way you interact with others. Good luck!

Archived