Ever get used to your ED schedule?

I'm a second year student currently and I am really leaning towards Emergency Med. I have rotated through once and have an elective setup for a few months from now. I am very well aware of the dynamics of emergency department scheduling and what my future career may look like (which I am about 80% okay with). I am just curious as to whether or not you guys have gotten used to your schedules, or not. Have you come to peace with working some holidays and missing some family events that fall outside of normal (m-f 8-5) working hours. I am by no means looking for "normal" schedule, simply just trying to see how you all feel about your specific situations....

If you work 3 twelve hours shifts, you have something like 100 days off a year. Holidays you get used to missing; for religious holidays there are often people of another faith very happy to make time and a half and trade your shift. Family events you should almost always be able to schedule around, as long as you work with decent humans.

I've worked many different schedules - 3x12s, rotating days nights, weekends, 5x8s, call rotations, etc.  Far and away the best in my opinion is 3x12s.  I don't care about working weekend shifts with this schedule because you still have so much free time outside of work.  I don't mind nights as an APP because they're usually slower paced and more relaxed.  Call is no biggie.  3x12s means you are only working 43% of the year.  You are off way more than you're at work!  Can't beat it.  And as long as at the holiday schedule is done fairly, you only rarely miss the important ones.  

the best is 6 24s. 144 hrs/month and 24-25 days off/month ?

I have worked all the options. 4 tens is ok, 3 12s is ok. 5 8s blows. 

all nights is better than a rotating schedule. I currently work 3 out of 4 saturdays, but only work 1 friday/month. If I want a saturday off I can request it off in advance for a concert or whatever. 

Having to work weekends and holidays is a pain in the ass... things got better when I had to “train” my family to not give me so much crap for it, and to try to work around my schedule.

As far as the irregularities in the schedule, like flopping between morning and afternoon shifts, I like that because it’s always something new to keep things fresh. No day ever feels the same!

I work thirteen 12 hour shifts a month. That means I have seventeen days of time off on the average month. THAT is amazing and makes all of the downsides completely worth it. Talk about quality of life! Last week I worked two days, then went to California for the rest of the week. I worked today and yesterday, but have the rest of the week (Wednesday through Sunday) completely off. 

Sure, I could work in family medicine and have weekends and holidays off, but I would also be chugging along going to work Monday through Friday 9-5.

did 3.5 years of overnights in the USAF - Sunday Thursday  11p-6:30am

worked fine

Then went to PA school and then tried ED repeatedly..... never could accept the schedule - course it was no where near consistent at all - was a few nights on, then off, then a day shift, then a swing shift, or even worse was just a blended 2/3 shift that the PA would have to stay till the ED quiet down - sometime 15 hour days... insane

I might have had a chance if they provided a very consistent block of nights to work, but all over the place shifts are inhumane...

1 hour ago, ventana said:

I might have had a chance if they provided a very consistent block of nights to work, but all over the place shifts are inhumane...

This.  I switched to nights simply because my employer offers a set night schedule.  Four on, four off.  Same hours each shift.  Had I continued with day work it would've been more of what Ventana described: different shifts each day with sometime late shifts and a quick turnaround A.M start.  That's more annoying than working straight nights.

A couple of points:

• There are MANY variations on ED schedules: some only have PA shifts during busy hours, typically mid-late morning to midnight-ish, some have 24 hour coverage with rotation schedules.  At my current main job we have 5 PA shifts/day.  But, 2 folks split the overnights and a colleague and I split the 15:30-01:30 shift.  There's no policy, just gratitude from the lead PA that 40% of the shifts are filled and the other folks only rotate between the other 3.
  • Other jobs have schedules that pretty much guarantee missing family time, e.g. 24/48 of many firefighters.

Archived