Do you still recommend people going to PA school? If so, why?

I am very happy with my specialty choice of EM and specifically rural em. I would continue at my current job even if required to take a 50% salary cut. I have accepted my last 2 jobs without knowing the salary up front. I knew they would respect my experience and training given the large # of factors involved with getting hired and knew they would treat me well. they did. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do this because I love medicine. I love the science, the helping, the adrenaline. I definitely would have been a MD/DO if I could start over, but I’m happy. Certainly places I have worked have helped shape that, being respected and feeling like a colleague. Same life circumstances, would do PA every time. I did feel burned out in the military, but they just kept piling on the work and there is no quitting. I’m happier now, even though I work equally as much/more in residency because I have dedicated didactic time that helps me feel more fulfilled at work. 

I left a career in medical device sales to come to PA school. You know, those sales reps you see in the OR holding up the wallpaper, cheesing their fake smiles, "building rapport" (if I had a nickel for every time my manager spouted this off) with staff, manipulating personal relationships for financial gain? I was one of them. The money was great and was only going to get better. I applied to school because the job wasn't meaningful. If you have the itch to be a provider, I don't think it ever goes away.

I plan on doing a residency in either EM or trauma/CC following graduation. On my trauma surg rotation right now and loving it. Do what makes you happy is a cliché that misses the point: happiness is a choice you make for yourself. Sales was a career, being a provider was a calling (bless up to my mom for helping me see the difference). I'll leave it at that  

Some days yes and others no. I probably wouldn't have gone into medicine but other days I love it. After seeing what my surgeon has to deal with on a day to day basis with his schedule during and outside of work, sports coverage etc there is no way I have ever wanted to go to medical school. I highly value my time outside and away from any of my work. He has no life outside of the clinic and OR. I never wanted that no matter the pay. Am I going to do this forever? Likely not, at least not work in surgery. 

If you truly care for others, love medicine, don't care about status, are in your 30's or older, PA school is a good choice for you! You will do what you love and will be fairly compensated for it. 

If you are in your earlier 20's or care about status, go to med school. 

If you truly care for others, love medicine, don't care about status, are in your 30's or older, PA school is a good choice for you! You will do what you love and will be fairly compensated for it. 

I don't think going to med school is caring "about status." it's about not hitting a glass ceiling for some and you actually can do more for your pts as a MD/DO than a PA. That to me is more altruistic than simply "caring about status." I think some may do it for status but if that's the only reason then that probably won't satisfy such a person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Joelseff said:

I don't think going to med school is caring "about status." it's about not hitting a glass ceiling for some and you actually can do more for your pts as a MD/DO than a PA. That to me is more altruistic than simply "caring about status." I think some may do it for status but if that's the only reason then that probably won't satisfy such a person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

different cases, different situations... some PAs that I know care about status... never happy because they can't run the show! No, going to med school is not always caring about status, but for some it could be. 

first year PA-S here. Before school I had PA's tell me to go to med school for the money, and I had MDs tell me to go PA for the life flexibility. Honestly, if I could do it again and was in a totally different life situation (no kids/family, maybe 5 years younger) I'd have probably went for MD. But I didn't, and I can't change that. IMO looking back regretfully is pointless. I don't see myself practicing full time my whole career as I'd like to teach and invest my time other places. Time is so much more valuable than money. Jm2c

21 hours ago, BayPAC said:

There are other (nicer) reasons to pick med school :)!  Plus, these days, the whole status thing is very much overrated.

Archived