is PA right for me?

I am currently a sophomore in my undergraduate studies majoring in biology. I chose this major on the basis that it would be best to help prepare me for PA school. That being said, as my courses have gotten more intensive into my major I am struggling to find any enjoyment (ESPECIALLY in chemistry) in my classes, which is really causing a conflict for me because I think I would enjoy a career as a PA and am well suited for it. But, is this lack of interest in the subject matter that I am being taught an indicator that maybe this is not the career path for me. I know that I am capable of taking the courses as I am a diligent student, but is it worth it/is this normal to not being looking forward to or excited about these classes (organic chem, upper divison bio courses, etc.)

You don't have to love it. You don't even have to like it. You just have to get through it.

I majored in business in undergrad because I found it a whole lot more interesting and easier than biology, chemistry, etc. I really struggled with undergrad science and barely got the grades I needed to gain acceptance to PA school. But now that I've "jumped through all of the hoops" I needed in order to get to where I wanted to be, my classes in PA school are far easier and more enjoyable than any science course I took in undergrad. 

Try not to get discouraged! 

I'm in Chem 1 and Bio and Stats right now, with respective labs, and I feel your pain lol. Being a former engineer (I'm 28) I feel that it is going to get worse before it gets better. It might help to remember why you are doing this. A lot of sacrifices will be made, A lot of sleep will be lost, relationships compromised, tears and frustration, but it will be worth it, as long as it is worth it you! Ask yourself (really, ask yourself) why you are wanting to be a PA. If the first thing that you think is "for the good pay" then I urge you to find other reasons to be in this career. Much more money can be made in various ways that don't require the sacrifice and stress that being a health care provider entails. If that's your prerogative, I won't judge you as long as your patient outcomes are good. Compensation and stability are certainly factors in a career, but I think that there should be heavier weighing reasons, such as how you care for people and/or really enjoy medicine, etc. I hope this helps somewhat! But unless someone is a scientist, where their job is spending time reading these books and being in the labs nonstop as their job, then I wouldn't expect you to really "enjoy" it. This kind of science (chemistry, bio)  it's nonintuitive... you have to work at it, over and over again. Just remember why you're doing it when you're in the grind and keep going ? Best of luck! 

You're not going to love all of your classes. Even in PA school so far I am not in love with all of my classes especially PHARMACOLOGY!!!!  

I hated regular chemistry but ended up loving organic chemistry once it all started to make sense from putting in all of those hours studying.

I am in my 2nd semester of PA school and it's just exam after exam here. Pure studying! Once you're done with one exam it's time to start studying for the next, over and over along with throwing in whatever classes have quizzes that week or practicals. I remind myself every time it gets tough and monotonous what the end goal is. Getting that 'C" at the end of my PA initials.

On 9/13/2018 at 3:41 PM, cassandraoeck said:

I am currently a sophomore in my undergraduate studies majoring in biology. I chose this major on the basis that it would be best to help prepare me for PA school. That being said, as my courses have gotten more intensive into my major I am struggling to find any enjoyment (ESPECIALLY in chemistry) in my classes, which is really causing a conflict for me because I think I would enjoy a career as a PA and am well suited for it. But, is this lack of interest in the subject matter that I am being taught an indicator that maybe this is not the career path for me. I know that I am capable of taking the courses as I am a diligent student, but is it worth it/is this normal to not being looking forward to or excited about these classes (organic chem, upper divison bio courses, etc.)

I'm currently wrapping up my senior year in undergrad, also majoring in biology, and I've disliked almost every course I've taken. Just know that anything worth achieving is going to be hard as hell. Undergrad is just a small obstacle in your path to becoming a PA and I know that it may feel like the only obstacle at times. I truly wish you the best.

Guest thePAway

I don't think enjoying classes is a good indicator of if you'll enjoy being a PA, a much better indicator would be to shadow PAs and see their daily routine and research job descriptions and see if that is a good fit

Archived