Should I reapply this year?

I am an IMG physician applying to the PA masters program. Last year I had sent in my application at the very end of the application cycle expecting that it might be too late but I wanted to get the process started and I did get rejected. Since then I was able to shadow a physician and a nurse practitioner and will be getting 2 LORs (letters of recommendation) from them. I have been working on getting trained so I can get some work experience in US to strengthen my application but I will probably be done with my certifications (patient care tech) and be able to work in a hospital setting only next year. My question is , is it worth applying again this year or should I wait till next year with some work experience to add on my application. If I do decide to reapply now and get rejected again, will that look bad or negatively impact my application when I reapply next year?

Thanks

Ann

If I had to pick one main reason for rejection it would be because you have already proven that you wanted to be a physician and schools will probably not expect you to be happy being a PA. Thinking your heart might not really be in it.

How may years patient-care experience do you have outside the US? It's hard to say besides that why you might have been rejected last year, or if one year of working is going to improve your chances, without knowing anything else about the quality of your application. 

Also, why did you shadow a physician and NP, but not a PA? 

Thanks for your prompt response DarcyJ!

I have around 4000+ hours of work experience outside the US. I did shadow a PA. The only reason I shadowed a physician and NP after that was because I had difficulty finding another PA to shadow and the program I am interested in  had mentioned these as acceptable professionals to shadow after a PA. I do know that this program has accepted IMGs before. I think my lack of US paid experience was a factor as the program required 2000 hours minimum of paid experience preferably within US with direct patient contact.

My worry is that my application hasn't changed too significantly in terms of US work experience since last year. The only thing I can add this year is the 2 new LORs and shadow hours.

Would you have any input on  if it is worth applying again this year or should I wait till next year with some work experience to add on my application. If I do decide to reapply now and get rejected again, will that look bad or negatively impact my application when I reapply next year?

Thanks

Ann

I can't speak for admissions committee members, but my opinion would be that if the only think that has changed is new LORs and shadow hours then I doubt you would have any better chance of acceptance at those same schools.

I guess there's the possibility that applying earlier in the the cycle could make a difference. But, I'd venture a guess that the adcom would be underwhelmed by the fact that you haven't improved your application in the last year in any other way but shadowing hours (which are often of very little worth in the whole scheme of things, assuming the minimums are met if the school has a requirement).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Archived