2018-2019- Yale Online PA Application

Guest thatgirlonabike

@1dahardway, I have not interviewed yet because my last transcript just got there. I have not been invited yet, but I hope to. As a re-applicant, did you have to submit a new set of letters of recommendation or did they allow you to use last year's? Did they ever let you know why you did not get accepted last year? My stats are mediocre, but I do have a Master's in Public Health from Mercer. I am hoping that the well rounded applicant is something they are looking for. I hope to hear about an interview soon as well

@JGBebbs As a re-applicant, I had to resubmit all my recommendations. The GRE, Transcripts carried over the recommendations did not. They did share with me why I didn't get accepted. My issue was my undergraduate GPA was too low. In undergrad, I retook some classes and those classes replaced the previous grade in those classes on my college transcript but Yale, like CASPA, uses all grades and does not do grade forgiveness. I didn't realize that my school did that at the time and when they calculated my GPA is was below 2.8. ?

I took a ton of undergraduate classes this past year to raise my GPA to qualify. My undergraduate cumulative is not great (cGPA 3.0) (sGPA 3.89), but I have some graduate degrees where I performed much better so I am hoping that helps and my science GPA is strong. 

They will provide feedback on your application but it takes several months for them to get back to you. I think it was February or March when I heard something, which was 4-5 months after the final deadline. 

Good luck!! I hope we both hear good news this week. ?

3 hours ago, 1dahardway said:

@JGBebbs As a re-applicant, I had to resubmit all my recommendations. The GRE, Transcripts carried over the recommendations did not. They did share with me why I didn't get accepted. My issue was my undergraduate GPA was too low. In undergrad, I retook some classes and those classes replaced the previous grade in those classes on my college transcript but Yale, like CASPA, uses all grades and does not do grade forgiveness. I didn't realize that my school did that at the time and when they calculated my GPA is was below 2.8. ?

I took a ton of undergraduate classes this past year to raise my GPA to qualify. My undergraduate cumulative is not great (cGPA 3.0) (sGPA 3.89), but I have some graduate degrees where I performed much better so I am hoping that helps and my science GPA is strong. 

They will provide feedback on your application but it takes several months for them to get back to you. I think it was February or March when I heard something, which was 4-5 months after the final deadline. 

Good luck!! I hope we both hear good news this week. ?

Man oh man this is terrible news for me. 15 years ago I bombed a year of college and didn’t go back until my head was on straight and I got As and Bs ..... I can’t believe that’s going to be a determining factor. I’m heart broken. 

2 hours ago, PlumPain said:

I interviewed last week (Tuesday) and I felt pretty good about it. I just got an email at 2:30 pm inviting me to do an informational session tonight. Hoping this is a good thing.  Does anyone know what I should expect for this? 

Thanks!

Congrats! The info session is a little more detailed than the public info sessions they held throughout the year. It was just Jim speaking and answering any more questions you may have about the program. I heard back from them the day after the session :D. Congrats on getting this far and good luck!!

4 hours ago, 1dahardway said:

@ashleyjade Did you apply to any schools using CASPA? If you did, then that CASPA will show you your GPA. You might be fine. Hang tough. ?

I didn’t, another problem I’ve ran into is that my pre refs are “old” so Yale was the only school I found that accepts any age pre reqs,  and the ability to go to school in any state, not having to leave my husband or kids - and my husband is active duty- so I never know when or where we will live..... oh well just sucks that something 15 years ago, that isn’t who I am anymore will still haunt me and my ability to go further. Thanks for your input! ? 

My application, submitted months ago, was only 'complete' yesterday when I submitted the transcript for my 5th pre-req. Apparently, it goes to final audit to double check everything is turned in and then it goes to review. I'm trying not to feel discouraged finishing so late. Hopefully the wait won't be too long this late in the game.

15 minutes ago, KhaliaB said:

My application, submitted months ago, was only 'complete' yesterday when I submitted the transcript for my 5th pre-req. Apparently, it goes to final audit to double check everything is turned in and then it goes to review. I'm trying not to feel discouraged finishing so late. Hopefully the wait won't be too long this late in the game.

I was told that after they are complete and goes to the committee you should hear within 4 weeks, one way or the other 

On 9/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, 1dahardway said:

@ashleyjade Did you apply to any schools using CASPA? If you did, then that CASPA will show you your GPA. You might be fine. Hang tough. ?

I added my transcripts to CASPA ... to see what they calculate my GPA as... to see if perhaps I did it wrong..... but I can't find where they calculate it... help! ? please and thank you!

3 minutes ago, ashleyjade said:

I added my transcripts to CASPA ... to see what they calculate my GPA as... to see if perhaps I did it wrong..... but I can't find where they calculate it... help! ? please and thank you!

Unfortunately, CASPA doesn't calculate your GPA unless you submit your application (it's like $179!!!). There are other websites that you can enter your data into but I did mine in an excel spreadsheet and calculated it that way

5 minutes ago, SJ0218 said:

Unfortunately, CASPA doesn't calculate your GPA unless you submit your application (it's like $179!!!). There are other websites that you can enter your data into but I did mine in an excel spreadsheet and calculated it that way

GAH! oh okay i won't be applying thru CASPA bc there are no schools where I actually live with my active duty husband and kiddos. 
OH well thanks just the same ?