2018-2019- Yale Online PA Application

Guest thatgirlonabike

I won't be submitting my application until next year but was wondering if anyone on here had taken any of their science prerequisites at Doane University online? They seem to have great online options for Biochemistry and Genetics. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, such an exciting program and much needed!

7 hours ago, MedicMellie said:

Hey ya'll!  I got an invitation to interview on August 8 and interviewed on the 20th and 22nd.  Anyone else out there interview this round?  How do you feel it went?  I'm so nervous and excited.  Good luck to everyone!

Hi! I interviewed this round too. I was nervous but thought it went well! This program seems really awesome and I would love to be a part of it. Crossing my fingers for both of us! ? 

Edited by Lindsay727

My state of CO FINALLY opened up and I had 2 weeks to get everything in order!! Thankfully I had everything but my GRE. So I’m taking my GRE in one week! I submitted my application yesterday. I sure hope I get selected for an interview! I am also finishing up a pre-req (biochem) I thought my O-Chem was enough per the website but my advisor says differently. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 6:49 PM, ashleyjade said:

My state of CO FINALLY opened up and I had 2 weeks to get everything in order!! Thankfully I had everything but my GRE. So I’m taking my GRE in one week! I submitted my application yesterday. I sure hope I get selected for an interview! I am also finishing up a pre-req (biochem) I thought my O-Chem was enough per the website but my advisor says differently. 

Did they say why your O Chem wasn’t enough?

14 minutes ago, Txmedic said:

Did they say why your O Chem wasn’t enough?

Txmedic - I read the pre-reqs to say that you only needed either o-chem or biochem, because it doesn't read well on their pre-req page.... It reads "3- to 5-credit course of biochemistry or organic chemistry, or a 3- to 5-credit course of combined organic/biochemistry*:" 

Then it says " Applicants must have taken either one semester of Introductory Biochemistry, one semester of Introductory Organic Chemistry, or one collective year of both Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II." 

Even though I had read it time and time again I thought that my one semester of o-chem was enough. But o-chem is only okay if you take 2 semesters of it. The first and second statements contradict imo. It should read  one 3-5 credit course of biochemistry and one 3-5 credit  course of organic chemistry NOT OR. Similarly I think it should read applicants must have taken one semester of intro biochem AND one semester or intro o-chem OR one collective year of o-chem I and o-chem II. 

My husband tells me i should question it.... because it says biochem OR organic chem not AND and those are completely different meanings. 

• Upvote 1

Guest thatgirlonabike
4 minutes ago, ashleyjade said:

Txmedic - I read the pre-reqs to say that you only needed either o-chem or biochem, because it doesn't read well on their pre-req page.... It reads "3- to 5-credit course of biochemistry or organic chemistry, or a 3- to 5-credit course of combined organic/biochemistry*:" 

Then it says " Applicants must have taken either one semester of Introductory Biochemistry, one semester of Introductory Organic Chemistry, or one collective year of both Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II." 

Even though I had read it time and time again I thought that my one semester of o-chem was enough. But o-chem is only okay if you take 2 semesters of it. The first and second statements contradict imo. It should read  one 3-5 credit course of biochemistry and one 3-5 credit  course of organic chemistry NOT OR. Similarly I think it should read applicants must have taken one semester of intro biochem AND one semester or intro o-chem OR one collective year of o-chem I and o-chem II. 

My husband tells me i should question it.... because it says biochem OR organic chem not AND and those are completely different meanings. 

This same thing happened to me.  I was all in and ready to apply to this program.  I spent about 8-10 hours writing essays and filling out not only the CASPA information but the Yale application.  Then about a week before I was getting ready to submit my application I sat in on an online info session where they clarified this.  I did call and e-mail and they said too bad-- retake it. (I had a C in my organic chem II).  It is NOT very clear on the website and while I am glad I found out before PAYING for my application I did waste a lot of time on the application process.  

Hey all, I have an interview coming up. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but I know I will only have a week to decide if I get in, and I wanted your opinions: 

If I get in, I will have to choose between a solid program (Rosalind Franklin)  about an hour away from my home (so 2-3 hours of driving per day depending on Chicago traffic) or the online program. 

I was so excited about my interview at Yale until I told some older colleagues who advised me against it. They said online grads won't be able to get hired. This was something I hadn't considered - I come from the technology world where everything can be done online and innovation is key. Yale is obviously the more impressive school, but will the brick and mortar option be better, even if I feel like the online program itself will give me a better education? 

My husband says that those against online programs are "just old dudes scared of computers" and that the younger generation of PAs will accept online programs just like we accept Snapchat and online grocery delivery. Thoughts? 

Edit: Anyone in or near Chicago going to Yale? If I do end up going, it would be awesome to have some classmates to meet up with to study and practice with on a regular basis. 

Edited by PlumPain

48 minutes ago, PlumPain said:

Hey all, I have an interview coming up. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but I know I will only have a week to decide if I get in, and I wanted your opinions: 

If I get in, I will have to choose between a solid program (Rosalind Franklin)  about an hour away from my home (so 2-3 hours of driving per day depending on Chicago traffic) or the online program. 

I was so excited about my interview at Yale until I told some older colleagues who advised me against it. They said online grads won't be able to get hired. This was something I hadn't considered - I come from the technology world where everything can be done online and innovation is key. Yale is obviously the more impressive school, but will the brick and mortar option be better, even if I feel like the online program itself will give me a better education? 

My husband says that those against online programs are "just old dudes scared of computers" and that the younger generation of PAs will accept online programs just like we accept Snapchat and online grocery delivery. Thoughts? 

Edit: Anyone in or near Chicago going to Yale? If I do end up going, it would be awesome to have some classmates to meet up with to study and practice with on a regular basis. 

Hey so I know there are quite a few people from Chicago and the NW that have been accepted into the program.... I've been in the same exact dilemma as you. I made a post under the State specific thread - Connecticut. Read the most recent thread. It kind of helped steer me toward the online program.... 

Keep us updated on what you decide to do. I'd be interested to know. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, PlumPain said:

So I was in the same boat as you (deciding between RFUMS and Yale Online) and I chose Yale for a variety of reasons. I have been following updates from this online program for years and did a lot of research on it before applying. Ultimately, it came down to believing in the program and the faculty. I did my MPH online using the same software/platforms at Yale will use so that has been an additional level of comfort for me. Do I have concerns about not being in a traditional program? Yes, a few. You touched on my biggest concern, which is not having a study buddy/classmates close by to rely on for school. But I have an excellent support system here in West Michigan and have friends going through PA/med school here too. Another concern is learning the hands-on skills before clinical rotations. However, Yale has made every effort to address this by having mandatory on-campus immersions to teach us these skills/do cadaver lab dissections/patient assessments before the 2nd year. In addition, they pair you with a PA in the community during your first year so you can learn these skills from a practicing PA during the didactic year, which most schools do not do!

I have also gotten some negative feedback from older providers which has been disheartening when I am trying to share my good news. But I remind myself that this is what I want to do and this is an excellent, quality program. Remember that there are a plethora of Nurse Practitioner schools that are all online and that field is thriving (more NPs = more advocating for the profession)! As you mentioned, the technological world we live in is only going to get bigger. I truly believe we are moving towards online education for a lot of other professions (heck, countless med schools live-stream their lectures and students don't bother sitting in class either). For me, the Yale Online program is the real deal and is an excellent fit for my style of learning. I am excited to learn from a quality PA during didactic year and to do my clinical rotations at the hospital where I currently work. I hope you do what is best for you and not listen to people who do not know a thing about the program and are fearful of the unknown! (There is no distinction between online and on-campus students at Yale's graduation either). Feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to bounce off ideas/concerns with you!

• Upvote 2