Frustrating Situation with PA-C and Supervising MD. Please Advise.

Hi Everyone,

I have a situation concerning a PA-C that I saw for dermatology appointments.

Two weeks ago, I had an initial appointment with a dermatology PA-C for treatment of hyperhydrosis and acne (per primary care MD referral). The PA-C reviewed my current medications and prescribed medication for the acne, but she did not prescribe any treatment or medication for my hyperhydrosis because she couldn't reach her supervising MD by phone for consultation. The last Dermatologist I had seen prescribed Glycopyrolate for me, but my prescription expired and I no longer live in the same state as that Dermatologist- hence my visit to this PA-C. Before I left, I asked her if she would be able to consult with her supervising MD regarding the use of my previous medication or need for new medication for my hyperhidrosis before or at my follow-up appointment. She told me "I don't know; you can wait two weeks".

When I went to my follow-up appointment today, the PA-C checked my response to the medication for acne; everything was fine. I then asked her if she was able to consult with her supervising MD regarding the use of my previously-prescribed hyperhidrosis medication, to which she responded "I'm unfamiliar with the medication you were prescribed by your previous Dermatologist; my supervising MD hasn't trained me to use that medication. You'll have to go back to your primary care physician for that medication because it affects the whole body".

Because of this, I am stuck without any treatment for my hyperhidrosis (my primary care physician referred me to dermatology for this because he's not too familiar with medications to treat hyperhidrosis). I explained what happened at my Dermatology appointment to my primary care physician shortly after my follow-up dermatology appointment. He gave me a written referral for any MD dermatologist of my choosing that can take me as a patient.

I am out a lot of money in wasted co-pay now because of this. For this situation, is it reasonable for me to ask for some sort of refund for the initial and/or follow-up appointments? I don't think the PA-C actually consulted with her supervising MD and I feel that the PA-C should have been able to tell me, at the initial appointment, that she isn't in a position to prescribe medications or treatments for my hyperhidrosis.

Thanks,

-ML

Hi Everyone,

I have a situation concerning a PA-C that I saw for dermatology appointments.

Two weeks ago, I had an initial appointment with a dermatology PA-C for treatment of hyperhydrosis and acne (per primary care MD referral). The PA-C reviewed my current medications and prescribed medication for the acne, but she did not prescribe any treatment or medication for my hyperhydrosis because she couldn't reach her supervising MD by phone for consultation. The last Dermatologist I had seen prescribed Glycopyrolate for me, but my prescription expired and I no longer live in the same state as that Dermatologist- hence my visit to this PA-C. Before I left, I asked her if she would be able to consult with her supervising MD regarding the use of my previous medication or need for new medication for my hyperhidrosis before or at my follow-up appointment. She told me "I don't know; you can wait two weeks".

When I went to my follow-up appointment today, the PA-C checked my response to the medication for acne; everything was fine. I then asked her if she was able to consult with her supervising MD regarding the use of my previously-prescribed hyperhidrosis medication, to which she responded "I'm unfamiliar with the medication you were prescribed by your previous Dermatologist; my supervising MD hasn't trained me to use that medication. You'll have to go back to your primary care physician for that medication because it affects the whole body".

Because of this, I am stuck without any treatment for my hyperhidrosis (my primary care physician referred me to dermatology for this because he's not too familiar with medications to treat hyperhidrosis). I explained what happened at my Dermatology appointment to my primary care physician shortly after my follow-up dermatology appointment. He gave me a written referral for any MD dermatologist of my choosing that can take me as a patient.

I am out a lot of money in wasted co-pay now because of this. For this situation, is it reasonable for me to ask for some sort of refund for the initial and/or follow-up appointments? I don't think the PA-C actually consulted with her supervising MD and I feel that the PA-C should have been able to tell me, at the initial appointment, that she isn't in a position to prescribe medications or treatments for my hyperhidrosis.

Thanks,

-ML

schedule an appointment with the derm doc - too bad this PA does not want to further her own education by learning about something she does not know about..... I personally get excited with learning some thing new and believe we all should take on those challenges....

schedule an appointment with the derm doc - too bad this PA does not want to further her own education by learning about something she does not know about..... I personally get excited with learning some thing new and believe we all should take on those challenges....

I agree. There have been 1 or 2 times my SP was unaware of current txs/protocols that i fill him in on. I dunno why the pa just didnt look up the med and advise you accordingly and have you come in for a followup to monitor.... given that youve tolerated it inthe past....but i dont know the pa...

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

I agree. There have been 1 or 2 times my SP was unaware of current txs/protocols that i fill him in on. I dunno why the pa just didnt look up the med and advise you accordingly and have you come in for a followup to monitor.... given that youve tolerated it inthe past....but i dont know the pa...

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

As "professionals" and FELLLOW PAs...

I'd encourage you to have this discussion with the office/PA/Doc you have the problem with

AND...

I'd remind the PAs on here that we don't know the OP or the PA in this "ALLEGED" situation/interaction... and that there are about "14 sides to a box... if we include the inside and outside in the count"... so PLEASE consider that it would be prudent to reserve judgement and/or any negative comments to this person about a PA.

Just a few thoughts...

Contrarian

As "professionals" and FELLLOW PAs...

I'd encourage you to have this discussion with the office/PA/Doc you have the problem with

AND...

I'd remind the PAs on here that we don't know the OP or the PA in this "ALLEGED" situation/interaction... and that there are about "14 sides to a box... if we include the inside and outside in the count"... so PLEASE consider that it would be prudent to reserve judgement and/or any negative comments to this person about a PA.

Just a few thoughts...

Contrarian

Too lengthy to read. Though, I read first too paragraphs. I would agree with last poster.

I see this all the time. Pt wanting prescription for Xanax because so and so had them on it and they responded well.

Maybe it time you switch provider![/quote

My thoughts also.........if the OP isn't satisfied with his provider's care he should seek another practice. Since I've heard this song too many times in my jobs, I stand by the provider unless I have FIRST HAND knowledge of the event, even then, my opinion is kept AWAY from the patient. I focus on providing the approiate care not trashing my peer.

Too lengthy to read. Though, I read first too paragraphs. I would agree with last poster.

I see this all the time. Pt wanting prescription for Xanax because so and so had them on it and they responded well.

Maybe it time you switch provider![/quote

My thoughts also.........if the OP isn't satisfied with his provider's care he should seek another practice. Since I've heard this song too many times in my jobs, I stand by the provider unless I have FIRST HAND knowledge of the event, even then, my opinion is kept AWAY from the patient. I focus on providing the approiate care not trashing my peer.

sounds like a bizarre situation if this is a true story. this is not a normal occurrence among PAs who practice medicine. If he/she is going to be in office by his/herself the PA needs to be able to act as competent as any attending dermatologist. If she is unable to act in such capacity the PA should find a position where a physician or someone senior is in house at all times for consult. My first year as a PA one of the senior PAs and MDs could not be present and I would have been the only provider on that afternoon. Rather than have someone without experience we closed early. Thats the way it should be.

sounds like a bizarre situation if this is a true story. this is not a normal occurrence among PAs who practice medicine. If he/she is going to be in office by his/herself the PA needs to be able to act as competent as any attending dermatologist. If she is unable to act in such capacity the PA should find a position where a physician or someone senior is in house at all times for consult. My first year as a PA one of the senior PAs and MDs could not be present and I would have been the only provider on that afternoon. Rather than have someone without experience we closed early. Thats the way it should be.

Archived