CASPA Science GPA question

Oh Ok thanks for helping me understand, of course I can make things more difficult than they are...lalewis, what I meant was, geez, since when did the biology dept start purchasing athletic tape - as that is what my athletic training course in college taught me - how to tape for various injuries - i am sorry i did not better explain myself - thanks again for helping me understand, taking it that those courses i mentioned in my original question will all be counted towards my science GPA - woo hoo that helps bring it up even higher!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, this is the closest posting I can find to what my question is, so I'm going to post it here and hopefully you guys will know. I keep seeing under the posting that lists everyones stats, that there is an undergrad science GPA and then a Post Bac GPA. I'm confused since on the premed website people were saying that if you take courses after your bachelor's degree like A&P which are lower division courses, that these grades become part of your undergrad GPA (which I suppose would mean part of your undergrad science and cumulative GPA??) but then there's also a Post Bac GPA which will be any science courses or other pre-requisites that are taken after your degree as well. I need to know whether I can UP my undergrad science GPA at all with the science prerequisites I will be taking like A&P and the Micro I already took after my bachelors? Will these be part of that undergrad science GPA since they're lower division? Will it depend on the school??

Maybe I'm writing too much and it's confusing sorry lol, but hopefully someone gets what I'm saying. Basically I pondered being a bio major (love science) but wasn't serious enough and eventually majored in Psychology. In undergrad I have from long ago: a C in a general intro. to Chem, a C in a genetics course I took "for fun", a C in an intro to Bio course, oh and one more I took for fun and got a C environmental science..whew what a bummer. These four courses along with a better grade in physical anthro and possibly a few others that I could use like Health Psych. and Biological Psych. (they have health science and public health so these two which were VERY science heavy like neurons and diseases could hopefully work) basically make up my undergrad science GPA. So based on how cruddy that would be even with a few of those better courses, would my later A in micro and hopefully further good grades as they come from A&P etc. be included or only as post bac.?

Thanks so much if you read this!

People include their post-bac GPA mostly to show a positive trend in the last few credit hours. As long as the courses are not for a masters program, and it sounds like the ones you'd be taking are not, they will be included in your undergrad GPA and will improve it...assuming you do well in the classes. Keep in mind though that CASPA includes all courses in your GPA, even if they are retakes. There won't be any kind of grade replacement even if your school allows for that.

The best way to do this is if you think that 50% or more was based in science, then count it. There is a lot of flexibility in these. I pick and chose a little bit even with my nursing classes. They are listed as science, but some classes were all theory and I left them out.

To add to this, CASPA will change it if they disagree so it's not a huge deal to list it as science if you're sort of on the fence.

People include their post-bac GPA mostly to show a positive trend in the last few credit hours. As long as the courses are not for a masters program, and it sounds like the ones you'd be taking are not, they will be included in your undergrad GPA and will improve it...assuming you do well in the classes. Keep in mind though that CASPA includes all courses in your GPA, even if they are retakes. There won't be any kind of grade replacement even if your school allows for that.

Thanks so much crystaltide, if I get what you're saying correctly, my post-bac science courses which will be a few prerequisites that I haven't taken yet for PA school, will be part of my undergrad science GPA. If that's true then that's great. I'd only *retake* general chem and maybe general bio for my own good, and yes I understand then that they'd average it out so hopefully I'd get an A and they'd each average to a B in my GPA. Either way, I'm just happy I can "UP" that Science GPA. Actually though, now that I think of your point above: I did originally get a D in that general bio course, then a W then I FINALLY went back and got a C because I didn't want to graduate with any Ds on my record...even though my university zeroed out any GPA associated with that D and it only counted my C, are you saying they would actually override that and count both the D and the C?? holy crap...maybe I'm a little worse off w/ that one than I thought? I'll have to take more sciences to up that maybe?

Yes, CASPA wants all of your grades from every class you've taken. Get a paper copy of your transcript from your undergrad school. They may not have counted the D, but if it's on your transcript you have to enter it into CASPA. The D will count and be averaged into your GPA just like the C.

Archived