U.S. News and World Report 2011 Rankings

Why is it most schools that ranked in the top thirty (?) are back East? Where's the West representing?

I'm sure it's largely because of the high concentration of programs in that area and the fact that the data is based on peer surveys. With so many programs in a relatively small region, the faculty are likely far more familiar with each others' programs than they are with the more sparse environment out west. That may lead them to vote "don't know" for those schools and/or show favoritism to the more local programs. One has to wonder how useful this data really is. My instincts tell me not very.

there are more schools in the east.... the west is represented by Utah (the only PA school in Utah), UW (the only program in Washington/Alaska), OHSU (one of two schools in Oregon), University of Colorado-Denver (one of two schools in Colorado). Not a bad spread considering that there are a handful of schools in the Northwest.

Also, ISU in Idaho. :)

there are more schools in the east.... the west is represented by Utah (the only PA school in Utah), UW (the only program in Washington/Alaska), OHSU (one of two schools in Oregon), University of Colorado-Denver (one of two schools in Colorado). Not a bad spread considering that there are a handful of schools in the Northwest.

Also, ISU in Idaho. :)

Frankly, there probably is not much difference between schools rated 5, 15 or 50. Find an accredited school in an area you like and that suits your personality well. Talk to current students and ask about strengths and weaknesses and have at it.

US News is completely unscientific. It's an opinion poll/popularity contest. Participants are basically sent a questionnaire asking "what are the best PA programs?" What is the basis for selection? Program run by their friends? Programs nearby? Programs that are part of the same state healthcare system? Whatever comes to mind?

In many cases, people may be depending on opinions that are decades old. When I was in PA school years ago, "program X" was always spoken of as a good program. If someone asked me for a good program, I would probably still tell them "program x" even though I know nothing about how the curriculum and faculty may have changed.

Frankly, there probably is not much difference between schools rated 5, 15 or 50. Find an accredited school in an area you like and that suits your personality well. Talk to current students and ask about strengths and weaknesses and have at it.

US News is completely unscientific. It's an opinion poll/popularity contest. Participants are basically sent a questionnaire asking "what are the best PA programs?" What is the basis for selection? Program run by their friends? Programs nearby? Programs that are part of the same state healthcare system? Whatever comes to mind?

In many cases, people may be depending on opinions that are decades old. When I was in PA school years ago, "program X" was always spoken of as a good program. If someone asked me for a good program, I would probably still tell them "program x" even though I know nothing about how the curriculum and faculty may have changed.

^This 100%. US news rankings has no bearing on how well they actually train you. Didatics can be gauged by pance pass rates, attrition rate, and it is largely what you put into it what you get out. What is very important is the clinical portion. That takes some real research to figure out if it's any good.

^This 100%. US news rankings has no bearing on how well they actually train you. Didatics can be gauged by pance pass rates, attrition rate, and it is largely what you put into it what you get out. What is very important is the clinical portion. That takes some real research to figure out if it's any good.

^Hahahaha!

I interviewed at two schools that were in the "top ten." I chose to accept a spot in one. The school that was higher ranked according to the 2011 poll didn't even seem in the same league to me. I agree that it should be about fit for you and the school.

^Hahahaha!

I interviewed at two schools that were in the "top ten." I chose to accept a spot in one. The school that was higher ranked according to the 2011 poll didn't even seem in the same league to me. I agree that it should be about fit for you and the school.

Archived