UTSW 2018-2019 Application Cycle

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TaniViolin said:

I just got an interview invite for the 25th too!!!

Submitted June 7

Verified June 9

Congratulations!! That is awesome. When did you receive your log in information? Also, did you receive an email stating that your application was under review after you completed your residency questionnaire? 

I also just received an interview invite! I believe I was verified at the very end of May! Here are my stats:

GPA: 4.0

sGPA: 4.0

HCE: over 5,000 hours as a pharmacy technician

Shadowing: 60 hours upon initial submition but now I'm over 90 hours 

GRE: 299 combined and 4 on writing

received my interview offer on the 27th for the interview on 8/25

I may ask to reschedule though due to a wedding that I am attending that weekend (if it won't count against me)

Stats

GPA: 3.34  SGPA 3.30 last 60 credits 3.53

Volunteering: 890 hours

PCE: at inital verified date was 860, most recent update I was at 1078

HCE:  610 hours

Leadership: 330 hours

Shadoing: 257 hours

If anyone can help me out. I have nursing degree and took two courses gen chem and stats along with others while getting my bachelors in nursing. Would it still be counted as science courses? Since it states on the website it needs to be science major? 

4 hours ago, dthum said:

If anyone can help me out. I have nursing degree and took two courses gen chem and stats along with others while getting my bachelors in nursing. Would it still be counted as science courses? Since it states on the website it needs to be science major? 

They should be fine, especially if there were other pre-med or pre-health students in those classes. I assume GenChem and Stats classes were in their respective departments and not in the nursing dept. It's the department and class description that really matters. 

13 minutes ago, scarr2015 said:

They should be fine, especially if there were other pre-med or pre-health students in those classes. I assume GenChem and Stats classes were in their respective departments and not in the nursing dept. It's the department and class description that really matters. 

I have low stats and just meet the prerequisite requirement with two elective courses already taken. Do you know if I even stand a chance this cycle? 

On 7/29/2018 at 5:37 PM, dthum said:

I have low stats and just meet the prerequisite requirement with two elective courses already taken. Do you know if I even stand a chance this cycle? 

I think you do, with atleast a few schools. Schools like UTSW and UTMB and Hardin Simmons look at you as a whole applicant, not just grades. Your experience as a nurse should help you greatly. 

53 minutes ago, credmond said:

I think you do, with atleast a few schools. Schools like UTSW and UTMB and Hardin Simmons look at you as a whole applicant, not just grades. Your experience as a nurse should help you greatly. 

Thank you, keeping my fingers crossed. 

5 minutes ago, Hannahzo said:

Do you mind sharing if you learned anything that's not found on the website and forums already

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/school-of-health-professions/programs/physician-assistant-studies/assets/pa-info-session-2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjC-5Kj4s_cAhUk7IMKHSGlAyAQFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2YqNQwQUMknqt7uUml22_6

This isn't the presentation they used because I can't find the current one but this has most of what they talked about. They also mentioned how they teach in blocks like you learn cardiology in all of your classes at once, pulmonology in all the classes at once, etc. So that way it mimics how the PANCE is. They also mentioned that rehearsing/practicing for the MMI tends to affect you negatively in the interview, although I don't think it will hurt to get comfortable with what to expect throughout the interview process. 

9 minutes ago, Jennifer01 said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/school-of-health-professions/programs/physician-assistant-studies/assets/pa-info-session-2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjC-5Kj4s_cAhUk7IMKHSGlAyAQFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2YqNQwQUMknqt7uUml22_6

This isn't the presentation they used because I can't find the current one but this has most of what they talked about. They also mentioned how they teach in blocks like you learn cardiology in all of your classes at once, pulmonology in all the classes at once, etc. So that way it mimics how the PANCE is. They also mentioned that rehearsing/practicing for the MMI tends to affect you negatively in the interview, although I don't think it will hurt to get comfortable with what to expect throughout the interview process. 

Thank you very much! So you attended the information session after you received the invite? I was planning on attending the one this upcoming Tuesday but was afraid it would look bad since I've already applied. 

8 minutes ago, Hannahzo said:

Thank you very much! So you attended the information session after you received the invite? I was planning on attending the one this upcoming Tuesday but was afraid it would look bad since I've already applied. 

I had already told UTSW that I wanted to attend the session before I got my invite. I don't think it'll look bad, all these schools know that every candidate has applied to more than one school so I think it shows that you are seeking out as much information as possible so that way you can make an informed decision based on what program fits best for you. 

Archived