UTSW 2018-2019 Application Cycle

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jennifer01 said:

Yeah, my stats are very similar to yours and I got an interview... If you haven't heard anything I would maybe contact them and ask what is holding your application back so that way you at least know something 

Is that professional to ask? I have no idea what i would call and even say. Just "hey, i know interviews are happening and i was just curious what the status is of my application? Am i rejected this round because i was verified back in May and have neared nothing?" Seriously, i am asking.

3 hours ago, MikeT said:

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum and wanted to join the conversation.

I recently graduated from UT in Texas (May 2018). My CASPA was verified on May 23rd and I had a CASPA GPA of 3.8 cumulative and 3.9 science. My degree was exercise science with a minor in chemistry. I even took Ochem 2, physics and Biochems as I was originally pre medical. My GRE was a 145 verbal and a 152 quant, I have over 2'000 ours HCE and also 200 hours of internships at major hospitals in Texas. Only around 100 hours in volunteer work and a year of leadership while at school. I also had Chiefs of hospitals write me letters of recommendation, stating in those letters they would love to hire me one day even! I was shocked when reading them myself. I have gotten no interview invitations from UTSW and am slightly devastated. I worked my butt off for that GPA while pulling night shifts as a scribe for 3 years. I know everyone here worked so hard and I am proud of everyone who is interviewing and one step closer to their dreams, Congratulations. I just have no idea why I am not getting any interview. If I have to apply again next cycle, the only thing I could strengthen is maybe my GRE score and volunteer work. I am not sure what is going on. Do I still have a shot and will I get a rejection letter eventually or is it the silent rejection?

Thank you all - Mike

300 is a common minimum for GRE. what about PA shadowing? and long-term volunteering/involvement in the community? What makes you unique in your desire to become a PA? What did you learn from you experiences that will make you a good PA and did you address that in your personal statement and individual experience descriptions? Those are things that UTSW really looks for as well as many PA schools. 

You still have a shot as there are still 2 more rounds of interview invites to go out. I would not call and ask about your application though.... that would put you more on their bad side rather than their good side. Imagine all the emails and phone calls they are probably getting right now already.

1 minute ago, MikeT said:

Is that professional to ask? I have no idea what i would call and even say. Just "hey, i know interviews are happening and i was just curious what the status is of my application? Am i rejected this round because i was verified back in May and have neared nothing?" Seriously, i am asking.

I think it shows that you are interested and that you want to be able to improve your application in whatever way possible. Just call and ask for a status of your application since you haven't heard anything recently and you want to be sure you haven't missed any form of communication from them. 

5 minutes ago, scarr2015 said:

300 is a common minimum for GRE. what about PA shadowing? and long-term volunteering/involvement in the community? What makes you unique in your desire to become a PA? What did you learn from you experiences that will make you a good PA and did you address that in your personal statement and individual experience descriptions? Those are things that UTSW really looks for as well as many PA schools. 

My GPA is so good, and GRE so bad because of my GPA, if that makes sense. I was working so hard at undergrad that i never had enough time to study the GRE. I %100 truthfully only studied for 10 days before taking it over my Christmas break. My volunteering was only 100 hours total and it was hands on.  I worked with Autistic Children as well as others with neurological developmental issues like CP who could barely walk in talk. Us volunteers in the lab would run them threw hours of daily activities to strengthen their abilities to walk, talk and write. As far as shadowing, my 2'500 hours as a scribe was done with physicians AND PA's. I shadowed them plenty and did their physical exams and HPI's (close to 1000 hrs). In my statement i actually talked a lot about my past. I am 25 years old and took 2 years off of college before starting. I worked full time and even became a professional IFBB physique model during that time. I know, very unique and you don't hear that a lot. Maybe i went the wrong direction. I elaborated on how i am not just a jock like i used to believe when i was younger. How i wanted to be the first in my family to do anything in medicine and how PA fit my values etc etc, so i left the IFBB behind and pursued medicine with everything i had. I definitely could have done better on my GRE and volunteering no doubt, but come on. I think at least an interview wouldn't hurt lol

There are some reasons why you may have not gotten an interview that have nothing to do with your stats. Possibly the PS, GRE, or possibly because you just don’t fit what a school is looking for? I applied to 7 schools and have received 2 interviews so far and both were at schools I really didn’t think I would get an opportunity to interview at..so it can be kinda surprising how things play out and how schools view your app. I would think you’d certainly get multiple interviews before the cycle is over and honestly, I’ve heard time and time again how luck plays a role in getting accepted. Don’t panic just yet..there are still lots of interviews to be given out. 

10 minutes ago, MikeT said:

My GPA is so good, and GRE so bad because of my GPA, if that makes sense. I was working so hard at undergrad that i never had enough time to study the GRE. I %100 truthfully only studied for 10 days before taking it over my Christmas break. My volunteering was only 100 hours total and it was hands on.  I worked with Autistic Children as well as others with neurological developmental issues like CP who could barely walk in talk. Us volunteers in the lab would run them threw hours of daily activities to strengthen their abilities to walk, talk and write. As far as shadowing, my 2'500 hours as a scribe was done with physicians AND PA's. I shadowed them plenty and did their physical exams and HPI's (close to 1000 hrs). In my statement i actually talked a lot about my past. I am 25 years old and took 2 years off of college before starting. I worked full time and even became a professional IFBB physique model during that time. I know, very unique and you don't hear that a lot. Maybe i went the wrong direction. I elaborated on how i am not just a jock like i used to believe when i was younger. How i wanted to be the first in my family to do anything in medicine and how PA fit my values etc etc, so i left the IFBB behind and pursued medicine with everything i had. I definitely could have done better on my GRE and volunteering no doubt, but come on. I think at least an interview wouldn't hurt lol

I am shocked you didn't get an interview with your stats honestly but that is why I would contact them just to make sure there isn't a hold up on your application. It wouldn't hurt your application to contact them. 

UTSW only invites 180 people to interview out of 2,000 applicants. I understand your frustration, but i think it’s too early in the game to freak out. Try applying to schools that don’t have rolling admissions, so that you have further chances of scoring interviews. I am applying to 12 schools and have been invited to only 3 interviews so far..and i have 3.6 science + 3.6 cumulative, 4,000 hours as an MA and shadowing and volunteer hours and a 308 GRE. And I probably won’t get an interview at UTSW. Stay optimistic, look at other schools, and always have a plan in case this year doesn’t work out.

9 minutes ago, MikeT said:

First of all, interview season is just starting.  There are still many interview invites left to be sent out.  As far as your GPA goes, a good GPA doesn't really mean anything.  It looks nice but there is massive grade inflation everywhere so good GPAs come a dime a dozen.  What they really want is to understand what specifically about you will make you a compassionate and qualified PA.  Specifically a PA, not just healthcare in general.  If you don't end up getting any interviews you probably need to take a long look at your personal statement and how you're coming across.  You mentioned that you talked about how you used to be a jock... I'm not sure that could ever come off in a positive way. I'm not trying to be critical but the way you're talking about your experiences seems a little prideful.  I would just wait and hope for the best and if you don't get an interview then look at how you portray yourself and try to understand what you can write that will show your potential to be a compassionate PA who cares about other people.

10 minutes ago, lctexas4 said:

There are some reasons why you may have not gotten an interview that have nothing to do with your stats. Possibly the PS, GRE, or possibly because you just don’t fit what a school is looking for? I applied to 7 schools and have received 2 interviews so far and both were at schools I really didn’t think I would get an opportunity to interview at..so it can be kinda surprising how things play out and how schools view your app. I would think you’d certainly get multiple interviews before the cycle is over and honestly, I’ve heard time and time again how luck plays a role in getting accepted. Don’t panic just yet..there are still lots of interviews to be given out. 

Appreciate the kind words my friend. I am attempting to keep my cool during it all, isn’t always easy. Many blessings to you and your PA future! 

13 minutes ago, Jennifer01 said:

I am shocked you didn't get an interview with your stats honestly but that is why I would contact them just to make sure there isn't a hold up on your application. It wouldn't hurt your application to contact them. 

Yea, why not. I could just simply say. “Hey, i am etc etc and just wanted to make sure you all don’t neee anything else from me.” 

6 minutes ago, aspiring__PA said:

UTSW only invites 180 people to interview out of 2,000 applicants. I understand your frustration, but i think it’s too early in the game to freak out. Try applying to schools that don’t have rolling admissions, so that you have further chances of scoring interviews. I am applying to 12 schools and have been invited to only 3 interviews so far..and i have 3.6 science + 3.6 cumulative, 4,000 hours as an MA and shadowing and volunteer hours and a 308 GRE. And I probably won’t get an interview at UTSW. Stay optimistic, look at other schools, and always have a plan in case this year doesn’t work out.

Amen! I agree and thank you for your kind words. I love your stats and hope it all goes well for you. My next step is to apply again, if it comes to that and send it to more schools with an improved GRE. If round 2 doesn’t work i will be 27 almost and will probably look into a nursing program. I really don’t desire to take over a real estate company that my father runs, but life changes right? Lol 

9 minutes ago, parulez said:

First of all, interview season is just starting.  There are still many interview invites left to be sent out.  As far as your GPA goes, a good GPA doesn't really mean anything.  It looks nice but there is massive grade inflation everywhere so good GPAs come a dime a dozen.  What they really want is to understand what specifically about you will make you a compassionate and qualified PA.  Specifically a PA, not just healthcare in general.  If you don't end up getting any interviews you probably need to take a long look at your personal statement and how you're coming across.  You mentioned that you talked about how you used to be a jock... I'm not sure that could ever come off in a positive way. I'm not trying to be critical but the way you're talking about your experiences seems a little prideful.  I would just wait and hope for the best and if you don't get an interview then look at how you portray yourself and try to understand what you can write that will show your potential to be a compassionate PA who cares about other people.

I appreciate the  constructive criticism. I will never take it the wrong way so thank you for being honest with me! I did not say that I used to be a jock, I simply said that I was viewed as one because I was athletic and a professional IFBB model, that no one thought i could become a PA because i didn’t “care” about school and only sports/bodybuilding. Next time, i will focus in on the PA side of it all specifically. Again, thank you for your helpful and honest insight! 

9 hours ago, MikeT said:

9 hours ago, MikeT said:

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum and wanted to join the conversation.

I recently graduated from UT in Texas (May 2018). My CASPA was verified on May 23rd and I had a CASPA GPA of 3.8 cumulative and 3.9 science. My degree was exercise science with a minor in chemistry. I even took Ochem 2, physics and Biochems as I was originally pre medical. My GRE was a 145 verbal and a 152 quant, I have over 2'000 ours HCE and also 200 hours of internships at major hospitals in Texas. Only around 100 hours in volunteer work and a year of leadership while at school. I also had Chiefs of hospitals write me letters of recommendation, stating in those letters they would love to hire me one day even! I was shocked when reading them myself. I have gotten no interview invitations from UTSW and am slightly devastated. I worked my butt off for that GPA while pulling night shifts as a scribe for 3 years. I know everyone here worked so hard and I am proud of everyone who is interviewing and one step closer to their dreams, Congratulations. I just have no idea why I am not getting any interview. If I have to apply again next cycle, the only thing I could strengthen is maybe my GRE score and volunteer work. I am not sure what is going on. Do I still have a shot and will I get a rejection letter eventually or is it the silent rejection?

Thank you all - Mike

Hi Mike, 

It looks like you are a competitive candidate. It is my understanding that we will be notified by email if they are not interested. There is still plenty of time to receive an invitation. I am having a hard time waiting as well.... It is nerve-wracking for sure! Have you checked the UTSW student portal to make sure there is nothing on your "to do" list?

There is always something to improve on each of our applications. You are right about the GRE, more volunteer work, and possibly looking into your personal statement as areas to improve but you are still in the running at this point. I am looking at things I can do to improve in case I need to apply again as well. For now... take a deep breath and keep your spirits up : ) Very best of luck to you, Mike! 

Just now, CanIBeAPaPlz said:

Hey guys what are you bringing to the interview tomorrow? Do you think a water bottle is necessary? Since we will be touring campus and all. Plus I get super thirsty when I’m nervous lol 

On an interview I did in July I brought water and a portfolio and that was it, it was able to fit into my purse so

6 hours ago, Hannahzo said:

Is anyone going to the meet and greet tonight?I have a question about parking. The map I received in an email tells us to park valet but it looks like valet closes at 7pm tonight before the meet and greet ends. Has anyone gained clarification about this? 

I’m parking in the visitor lot by seldin plaza and just walking over! 

Hi everyone! I am a current student at UTSW. We are very excited to meet everyone! For tonight's meet and greet, there will be current students directing y'all to the correct places. They will be holding signs (for parking and to direct you to the general direction of the building) and to guide you inside as well. Don't worry! Just be yourself and have fun :)

Archived