2018-2019 Application Cycle

2 minutes ago, nishili said:

Thank you ? I think it went pretty okay, it was definitely more laidback than I expected it to be 

There is an essay portion in the beginning, and then after the program introductions they begin with interviews 

There is one group interview - they split the large group into two small groups and one group does the group interview with current students and the other group waits to do the one on one interviews 

The one on one interviews are with faculty members, about 15-20 mins each 

My advice would be to really know why you want to go to PA school specifically, as opposed to any other profession, and why you think you would be a good fit for Cornell’s program 

It seems like a getting to know you type of interview, so it wasn’t really stressful ? 

Sounds like an average interview, thanks for the info!! 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nishili said:

Thank you ? I think it went pretty okay, it was definitely more laidback than I expected it to be 

There is an essay portion in the beginning, and then after the program introductions they begin with interviews 

There is one group interview - they split the large group into two small groups and one group does the group interview with current students and the other group waits to do the one on one interviews 

The one on one interviews are with faculty members, about 15-20 mins each 

My advice would be to really know why you want to go to PA school specifically, as opposed to any other profession, and why you think you would be a good fit for Cornell’s program 

It seems like a getting to know you type of interview, so it wasn’t really stressful ? 

What was the essay par about?? Thank you!

On 8/11/2018 at 6:44 AM, PAtobe615 said:

For anyone that interviewed on 8/9, can you post how many students were there for interview? It doesn't seem like they are interviewing that many students so far. Also if you know how long it takes to hear back. I have my interview on Sept. 13 and I am so excited!!! 

There were about 12 of us if I remember correctly! The committee will not be meeting in August so those of us who interviewed on the 9th will be hearing back mid- to late-September. Probably around when the September interviews hear back. Hope that helps. 

Best of luck at your interview!!

So I don’t have specific numbers for you all in regards to when secondaries are sent out or time frame on hearing about an interview. These are a few numbers I do know though:

interviews have occurred (1 in July & 1 in August)

20 people total were interviewed (8 in July, 12 in August which is smaller than normal)

130-ish people total will be interviewed by the end of this application cycle

As of now interview dates are September 13th, October 11th, November 8th & December 6th

Last time I asked (maybe 2 weeks ago) they had 1,985 applications submitted

I’m unsure of the number but some people have been accepted from the first interview in July 

Total number of spots is 42. (Not including the students who have already been accepted) (They are increasing the program by 5 students each year until 52)

Once again, I love helping you guys with any info if I can so feel free to message me or ask in the forum. 

2 minutes ago, mdiemert said:

So I don’t have specific numbers for you all in regards to when secondaries are sent out or time frame on hearing about an interview. These are a few numbers I do know though:

20 people total were interviewed (8 in July, 12 in August which is smaller than normal)

As of now interview dates are September 13th, October 11th, November 8th & December 6th

I’m unsure of the number but some people have been accepted from the first interview in July 

Total number of spots is 42. (Not including the students who have already been accepted) (They are increasing the program by 5 students each year until 52)

Once again, I love helping you guys with any info if I can so feel free to message me or ask in the forum. 

This is amazing thank you!!

4 hours ago, pahopeful10 said:

For those that have interviewed, what time does the day get over? I'm looking at booking a flight and am unsure what time I should go with. Thank you!

Usually around 1-2pm but you do not have to go on the tour so it might be more like 11:30 or 12pm if I remember right. The interview groups that have gone this cycle have been about half the size that they will be going forward so their days may have ended a bit early ?

7 hours ago, mdiemert said:

Usually around 1-2pm but you do not have to go on the tour so it might be more like 11:30 or 12pm if I remember right. The interview groups that have gone this cycle have been about half the size that they will be going forward so their days may have ended a bit early ?

That sounds perfect. Thank you! Although it does sound kind of intimidating to do a group interview with 12 other candidates ?

2 hours ago, pahopeful10 said:

That sounds perfect. Thank you! Although it does sound kind of intimidating to do a group interview with 12 other candidates ?

The group interview tends to be with 2nd year students and is really low key. My interview they asked a very simple HIPAA question

16 hours ago, mdiemert said:

Mary, thanks so much for the detailed, helpful information!!

I would just like to know- What advice would you give applicants to help us stand out during the interview? Thanks again!

On 8/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, Janab said:

Mary, thanks so much for the detailed, helpful information!!

I would just like to know- What advice would you give applicants to help us stand out during the interview? Thanks again!

Sadly I don’t have any advice that you probably haven’t already heard. A few pieces of advice:

- Be yourself. I know everyone says that but your ability to be genuine is very important because if the interviewer can tell you are fake, your future patients may think you are fake. My interviews felt like I was being evaluated for my bedside manner more than anything else.

- Read through your application before your interview. Make sure you have a reason for a bad grade, any gaps in education, any repeat classes. They WILL ASK YOU ABOUT THEM.

- Know why you want to be a PA. You do NOT need to have the biggest passion for surgery, or even know your desired specialty but you need to be able to verbalize why you want to be a PA and not an NP, MD, or something else. 

- Project confidence but be warm toward your other interviewees. You got an interview! That means you are in the top ~10%. Keep in mind though even though you are competing with your other interviewees be warm. A lot of us ended up rooming with someone from our interview day. (Including me ? )

- Wear something you feel comfortable in. If you don’t normally wear heels, wear flats or small heels. If you don’t normally wear make-up don’t go overboard. You need to feel as close to yourself as you can. The less to worry about the better.

Once again this is all just my perspective but other people may have a different view!

-Mary

Also I asked my class how soon after submitting their secondary application did they hear back about an interview and 28 people responded. 24 students said ~2 weeks. 3 said ~ a month and 1 said ~2 months. Cornell was not in the middle of a building move like we are this year though, so timing may be different. 

-Mary

Cornell PA class of 2020

Message me if you have any questions!

On 8/28/2018 at 11:52 PM, DP1316 said:

Hi there! 

I was also offered an interview for 9/13!! I want to confirm w/ those that have interviewed that there is no MMI component? Also for the group interview, is it a panel or a group “activity”? 

Thanks for your help! 

There is no MMI component. The group interview is more like a group activity. Two current students and like 7 interviewees were sitting in a circle as the two students asked us maybe 3 questions. (Very simple typical questions)

Archived