NHSC Scholarship 2018 Thread

46 minutes ago, hlpac said:

Hi MG, I remember attending the webinar recently and this question coming up. According to the response, allocations are reviewed once applications close, and there's no advantage in applying early. I do wonder where you got the other info from? I hope this helps.

This is very helpful thank you! If it was stated twice by those that know the process best, I am confident trusting that! The information I received was from a PA student, so maybe the process has changed or this wasn't correctly stated to begin with. Thanks again! :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MG358 said:

This is very helpful thank you! If it was stated twice by those that know the process best, I am confident trusting that! The information I received was from a PA student, so maybe the process has changed or this wasn't correctly stated to begin with. Thanks again! :)

My pleasure! (:

Hey everyone,

So I have a question regarding the "dual degree" option it says on the application. During my interview, our program director talked to me about the likelihood of our program adding a concurrent PA/MPH program starting with our cohort. I will definitely be doing this option if the program comes to fruition, but am technically only enrolled in the PA program at this time. Do you think it would be unethical on the application to state that I am in fact enrolled in a dual degree PA/MPH option? Again, if available, I will be doing the concurrent route.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks

On 4/18/2018 at 2:40 PM, medlabscientist said:

I didn't choose one because I didn't know if they meant we must serve in that specialty during our service commitment, so I choose not to pick one in order to keep my options open.

I have an answer to my question now! I sat in on the NHSC Q&A session last week (?) and they said it is highly recommended to select a specialty. Although, I think one of my classmates who was selected did not choose a specialty when he applied and obviously he was fine.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:33 PM, Tbauer10 said:

Hey all! Just wanted to introduce myself- I’m Taylor! Looking forward to going through this process with y’all. I applied last year and the wait was grueling. But hopefully the outcome will be well worth the wait this time!

Did you get the scholarship? Do you have any advice? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Has anyone been lucky enough to receive the NHSC and the FELS (forgivable educational loans for service) which is offered by states? If so, Since FELS has already reviewed and offered, they will likely be paying out in August. However, I believe I read NHSC will not be making decisions until September. Should you accept the NHSC scholarship, you will need to decline the FELS scholarship (due to contractual obligations). 

My question: are you able to repay the FELS loan back without penalty even after you have had it for a month or so?

On 4/22/2018 at 9:09 PM, Rudeboyirie said:

You would put your start date as 8/18 and end date as 8/20. I think yours actually fits much cleaner than mine does. I start June 18th, but have to put 7/1 on the application since that's when their fiscal year starts. They won't reimburse further back than 7/1 so essentially 12 days is what's keeping me from not having to pay for my summer semester. Kinda sucks.

Hi. I am currently a NHSC recipient and I was taking summer courses when I applied as well. You will get the tuition paid for the summer, but the stipend won't start until July. So basically you will have 12 days without a stipend, not tuition. If you get the scholarship, you will be asked during the final selection process if you took summer classes and you will choose yes. They will pay the school and the school will refund you the money. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MG358 said:

has anyone else had a credit check? I have been keeping up with the studentdoctor forum, but am hoping to have some PA representation and fellow PA students to wait with in this process!

I got pinged on Monday as well. Trying not to get too excited - we’ve got a lot more waiting to do before a yes or no.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like you people could use some ACTUAL information from someone who's gone through the program several times already. 

1) The program will respect if you do the following:

• Go to School. This should be obvious but, it isn't. 
  • Don't get pissy when you don't get your way. It doesn't lead to you getting your way. It leads to people thinking you're a whiney little baby rather than an adult in college. I wouldn't be surprised if they secretly laugh at you when you start to whine about your problems.
  • After graduation, just go to work. Don't do extra stuff, just go to work. 

2) Under no circumstances will you ever find out why you've not been approved. Accept it and try again. Besides, if you really want to be IN the field, you'll put in the work to stay in school. Otherwise, find a different career. Because if the free ride is all you care about, why would any patient want to be seen by you? 

3) No, I won't help you with the application or with what helps get you selected. Not that it has anything to do with the individual, it's down to luck. Want luck? Find Jesus, he'll bestow luck on you.  

4) Don't wanna work after graduation or want to move to a new place and switch schools? Be prepared to get a bill in the mail should you go into default. And no, they will not think twice about garnishing your wages, sending the bill to a collection agency, and even to the DOJ. Think about who the scholarship is through, that's right the US Government. Don't like the consequences? Don't apply. 

5) Sometimes your friends WILL get it while you don't. 

6) If you read the APG, it can and usually does take up to September 30th to find out if you have been awarded or not. There could be an early notification but, 9 times out of 10 you'll be waiting. 

7) Don't miss the Confirmation of Interest deadline. If you do, it's on you. And no, the program does not take any excuse into mind when making a decision on if you should get a second deadline.

8 ) This can't be stressed enough, don't miss deadlines. Just don't. Don't sleep on anything, don't wait until the very last minute, and for best results in NOT getting a headache KEEP UP WITH YOUR ANALYST. They can help you and they can helo with most things should you become a participant. 

Archived