NHSC Scholarship 2018 Thread

Hello prospective NHSC scholars!

I noticed the scholarship application has officially opened. Looks like the deadline is May 10th. Just thought I'd get an official thread going so we can all chat about the application process and share any updates any of us may potentially get!

Fingers crossed, good luck everyone!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there, 

I am curious as to whether or not I can apply for the scholarship as I approach the end of my didactic year, and if I were to receive the scholarship, would I essentially have my current student loan debt paid off or would it just cover my second year?

3 hours ago, Lucy199 said:

Hey there, 

I am curious as to whether or not I can apply for the scholarship as I approach the end of my didactic year, and if I were to receive the scholarship, would I essentially have my current student loan debt paid off or would it just cover my second year?

Yes, you can apply for the scholarship to count towards whatever schooling you have left and then apply for the loan repayment after graduating.

I have a question about the application process, specifically the letters of recommendation.

I have been taking prerequisite classes here and there, but have not finished a undergraduate program within the past few years. I am also not beginning my program until the end of May (after the due date). Is there any alternatives for the academic letter of recommendation? I don't believe I have anyone to speak to my strengths or who knows me well enough to write a solid letter of recommendation due to being out of full time college for a few years. 

Thanks in advance for everyones help!

Hi! I'm in the process of applying but on the "Degree Information" tab I tried to put my program start day which was January 03 2018 but this comes up "Each school year must start between July 1st and September 30th. Please revise your program start dates." and I am not able to move to the next section. What do I put?

9 hours ago, AZDreamer89 said:

If anyone is applying a second time do you think it's worth it to for me to apply if my gpa is 3.5? I was wondeirng because I was looking at a thread in the dental forum and it seemed most people had a 3.8 or above. 

Dental students compete against other dental students. No?

14 hours ago, GatorGal said:

Hi! I'm in the process of applying but on the "Degree Information" tab I tried to put my program start day which was January 03 2018 but this comes up "Each school year must start between July 1st and September 30th. Please revise your program start dates." and I am not able to move to the next section. What do I put?

I've been having the same issue actually. For now I just but in BS dates in order to move past to the next page. I'm going to meet with my advisor in the near future and she is going to help me put dates that she feels comfortable with and that also fit within their parameters.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, EmmaPrePA said:

I have a question about the application process, specifically the letters of recommendation.

I have been taking prerequisite classes here and there, but have not finished a undergraduate program within the past few years. I am also not beginning my program until the end of May (after the due date). Is there any alternatives for the academic letter of recommendation? I don't believe I have anyone to speak to my strengths or who knows me well enough to write a solid letter of recommendation due to being out of full time college for a few years. 

My academic letter of recommendation is coming from a professor who taught one of my prereqs within the past year. I've already called and confirmed with NHSC that this is OK. I think this is actually a fairly common route for people who have been out of school for awhile...

On 4/5/2018 at 2:45 AM, Rudeboyirie said:

My academic letter of recommendation is coming from a professor who taught one of my prereqs within the past year. I've already called and confirmed with NHSC that this is OK. I think this is actually a fairly common route for people who have been out of school for awhile...

They also told me you can have two references from work as long as one person explains that you have been out of school for awhile. 

Yeah I'm quickly running into the same issues people have had in the past. On the actual scholarship application, it says 2,500 characters for the essays. In both the program guide and email that was sent out today it says 500 words. I called and asked, they told me 2,500 since that's whats on the actual application. However I feel like since 500 words showed up in two different places it makes me more inclined to think this is the actual correct count. It seems that people being given conflicting information is a common theme with this process.

Lol, someone else dare to call and see what they say? :) 

On 4/9/2018 at 11:47 PM, Rudeboyirie said:

Yeah I'm quickly running into the same issues people have had in the past. On the actual scholarship application, it says 2,500 characters for the essays. In both the program guide and email that was sent out today it says 500 words. I called and asked, they told me 2,500 since that's whats on the actual application. However I feel like since 500 words showed up in two different places it makes me more inclined to think this is the actual correct count. It seems that people being given conflicting information is a common theme with this process.

500 words. I asked!

5 hours ago, AZDreamer89 said:

500 words. I asked!

Haha the madness continues. I called earlier about an unrelated question, and the lady on the phone brought up the essay requirement discrepancy and specifically told me 2,500 characters not including spaces.

I'm done being nit picky, as 500 words and 2,500 characters are roughly the same anyways. Oh well, on to the next issue.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, EmmaPrePA said:

Hi Emma! I called NHSC, and they told me that a letter from any academic course is fine!

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, Rudeboyirie said:

I called about this as well, and they told me to just shoot for half a page to a page spaced. A page should not be over 500 words or 2,500 characters.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, scarfire said:

What specialty are you all selecting from the drop-down menu? It doesn't look like it's actually required to select a specialty, but it seems like it would be best to choose one, rather than to not choose any at all.

I didn't choose one because I didn't know if they meant we must serve in that specialty during our service commitment, so I choose not to pick one in order to keep my options open.

2 hours ago, medlabscientist said:

I didn't choose one because I didn't know if they meant we must serve in that specialty during our service commitment, so I choose not to pick one in order to keep my options open.

I'm fairly certain it doesn't lock you in anywhere, I feel as if it's just for statistical analysis. Similar to the specialty we "chose" in CASPA? They just want a feel for what areas their applicants are interested in...

On 4/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, GatorGal said:

Hey! I have been trying to figure this out too. My program is only a 24-month program starting in 8/18 and ending8/20. The way the question is set up would make me say I need three years of financial support as opposed to the two. Did you call? that's my next step

4 hours ago, sassadi said:

Hey! I have been trying to figure this out too. My program is only a 24-month program starting in 8/18 and ending8/20. The way the question is set up would make me say I need three years of financial support as opposed to the two. Did you call? that's my next step

You would put your start date as 8/18 and end date as 8/20. I think yours actually fits much cleaner than mine does. I start June 18th, but have to put 7/1 on the application since that's when their fiscal year starts. They won't reimburse further back than 7/1 so essentially 12 days is what's keeping me from not having to pay for my summer semester. Kinda sucks.

Hi everyone! Very excited to be applying for the scholarship this cycle, the NHSC mission so closely matches what I want to do as a PA. I have a question today as I am beginning to finish my application--does anyone know if there is an advantage to applying early? As soon as the application opened I called the NHSC customer care line and asked about this, and they told me that there was not any advantage to applying early except that it gives you more time to gather materials and look over your completed information. So, I have kind of been taking my time--I've been preparing for this literally since last year speaking to professors and former scholars, but haven't felt rushed in submitting the application. Today I heard someone say that applications are reviewed in the order they are received and often those who apply earlier have better outcomes. Anyone else have any information on this? Nothing I can do about it now, but I would like to know either way! 

Thanks so much, good luck to all! :)

1 hour ago, MG358 said:

Hi everyone! Very excited to be applying for the scholarship this cycle, the NHSC mission so closely matches what I want to do as a PA. I have a question today as I am beginning to finish my application--does anyone know if there is an advantage to applying early? As soon as the application opened I called the NHSC customer care line and asked about this, and they told me that there was not any advantage to applying early except that it gives you more time to gather materials and look over your completed information. So, I have kind of been taking my time--I've been preparing for this literally since last year speaking to professors and former scholars, but haven't felt rushed in submitting the application. Today I heard someone say that applications are reviewed in the order they are received and often those who apply earlier have better outcomes. Anyone else have any information on this? Nothing I can do about it now, but I would like to know either way! 

Thanks so much, good luck to all! :)

Hi MG, I remember attending the webinar recently and this question coming up. According to the response, allocations are reviewed once applications close, and there's no advantage in applying early. I do wonder where you got the other info from? I hope this helps.

Archived