This is why we need to credentialed at the Doctorate level

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

More like Nurse Rob Scheider, RN, BSN, MSN.

Note that he didn't just call himself Trevor Marcotte, PT, DPT, but Dr. Trevor Marcotte, PT, DPT

the double doctor thing is silly. I hate it when I see Dr John Doe, MD. Use it once: Dr John Doe or John doe, MD.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:23 PM, ventana said:

but doctor is not a Physician exclusive term.  It is a degree.  

"Doctorate" is the degree.  If the janitor has a doctorate in music, they should still never refer to themselves as a doctor while talking to a patient.  Another analogy:  I am a Chief, but probably shouldn't present myself as that to an intern as they may think I was the Chief resident.

The vast majority of our patients are under the understanding that a "doctor" they see in the hospital/clinic is a physician.

I correct patients all the time when they say they went to "Doctor Smith" the chiropractor, or the latest one..."Doctor Meghan" (who prescribed a 3 month old with gentian blue for her thrush instead of nystatin...yeah, that didn't work so parents brought her back to ED).

I firmly tell the patients that "they are NOT a doctor, they have a doctorate in chiropractology (or nursing), so they are NOT a physician."  This often opens the door for a little more education about the vast differences between physicians and others (generally chiropractors & DNPs)

I even went as far last week as suggesting to the parents they never let their baby be seen by "Nurse Meghan" ever again.

If you are not a physician and call yourself a "doctor" in the healthcare field, or worse yet you DEMAND that the staff refer to you as "doctor", then you're an idiot.  If you do that in front of me, then everyone will know that you are, indeed, an idiot.

Archived