How would I answer this interview question?

Hi everyone! I have an interview coming up in a few weeks and I'm super excited but nervous at the same time! I've answered a lot of practice questions and I even got Andrew Rodican's book, "How to ace the physician assistant school interview" and I feel as if I have good answers to most of the questions. I found one question online that kind of had me thinking and it was "if you could be anything besides a PA, what would you choose and why?" I'm not really sure how to answer this question. Any tips on how to would be great! Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Caligal said:

Hi everyone! I have an interview coming up in a few weeks and I'm super excited but nervous at the same time! I've answered a lot of practice questions and I even got Andrew Rodican's book, "How to ace the physician assistant school interview" and I feel as if I have good answers to most of the questions. I found one question online that kind of had me thinking and it was "if you could be anything besides a PA, what would you choose and why?" I'm not really sure how to answer this question. Any tips on how to would be great! Thanks!

Think about it as what is your second passion. What were the things you wanted to do growing up. For me personally besides PA I would choose, mentoring HS students to guide them on their journey to achieve their goals and dreams and to beat the odds to go to college . 

Hooe this helps. Good luck

• Administrator

Good advice above.  The traps I see with this question:
1) Disclosing that you really don't want to be a PA, but this is a second choice.
2) Being boring or flustered when put on the spot.
3) Displaying inappropriate personal choices.  Use your imagination here.

Avoid those, be yourself, be witty, and be charming.

I was asked this question during interview. But more like if PA and any healthcare profession was not a choice what would you do?

My response, combine my three other passions, cars, traveling, and food. Be a traveling food critic.

I told the truth since health profession was off the table and hey I got accepted. 

This question also depends on your delivery.

Good luck. 

When you interview for a job, you want to stress in the interview that you have all of the qualities the company is looking for in an ideal applicant. Usually, the qualities/skills are noted in the job description.

Same for the PA school interview. There are certain qualities that all programs look for in PA school applicants/PAs; empathy, community service, diversity, team work, compassion, ability to handle stress, communication skills, working with undeserved populations and much more. I would investigate the program and look at their mission statement and values. See what qualities they value most and think about a job that requires those same qualities.

I hope that helps!

Archived