4 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Well I am now slaving away for the man so I am unplugged from new changes. Work...home...sleep....lather...rinse...repeat. I almost hate to say it but they pay me so well I'd have to think long and hard about being self employed again.

I'm doing the same thing soon.  Offered a W-2 position at a place that seems to greatly value MLPs, best pay I've ever had, great benefits, malpractice, etc. 

I'll lose out on all of those deductions, but with them paying the $8600 in SS/CMS taxes, >$10K of value in PTO, >$6500 value in malpractice, and 401K match, and $2K in CME allowance....that's well over $30K in benefits in comparison to 1099 employment.

In my experience with 1099, though somewhat limited compared to many of you, the pay rate is not usually worth it in many areas of the country. For instance, there is one place I work solo coverage at a critical access as a 1099. Rate is $75/hr (low for 1099, but on par for the area). I usually do 24 hr shifts and withhold 32ish% for the man. That sucks! Doing that same work at 1.5x that rate would make it worth it, but then they could just pay more FM providers and not have to worry about having someone on call when I'm there...

Got a new part time W2 gig starting early next year. Same solo, rural, critical access coverage. Same rate. Don't have to deal with the headache of quarterly fillings and that nonsense. I'm looking forward to that! 

My two cents: 

1. You are grossly underpaid. I am a PA-S, but worked as a registered dietitian for 6.5 years before starting school (3 years as a 1099). I got paid $80/visit. Very few RD services are reimbursable, so you should be making MUCH more than I was. 

2. I tracked EVERYTHING as an independent contractor, hired a good CPA, and gave them my organized files. I let them determine what could and couldn't be written off. It's definitely worth the couple of hundred bucks to save on the headache/comply with the IRS. 

Archived