CDC CUTS GLOBAL HEALTH FUNDING BY 80%

This is the reality of our national financial situation. We have to make hard choices about what to fund, and it will get harder every year. People seem to think the US can just print money and pay for everything. 

China is also listed among the top disease outbreak hotspots. I wonder how much money they are going to pony up each year?

19 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

That may be. So what funding do we cut to pay for this?

Domestic healthcare? Education? Defense? Infrastructure?

The military spends far more money on its various bands ($400+ million) than is normally allotted to the CDC for international epidemic research and support.

Cut that.

I would argue that minimizing massive epidemics and the disruptions they can cause is a far better use of our tax dollars in terms of protecting our national interests and international stability.

1 hour ago, PAMEDIC said:

The military spends far more money on its various bands ($400+ million) than is normally allotted to the CDC for international epidemic research and support.

Cut that.

I would argue that minimizing massive epidemics and the disruptions they can cause is a far better use of our tax dollars in terms of protecting our national interests and international stability.

This is a dumb idea.

I would say there are a fair amount of other areas of government we could cut before we should cut defense spending.  

Agree with the poster above that mentioned the US always seems to be taken for the do-gooder who always covers the bill.  

Stop sending money to countries that hate us.  Let's start there.

Can't have any kind of healthcare program if you don't have a protection from violence.  EMED can probably attest that there were good guys with guns protecting his team as they cared for the wounded.

Same thing with the distribution of food during famines, ergo our terribly planned military operations in Somalia (Blackhawk Down).

Archived