University of Oklahoma 2018-2019 Applicants

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@BeBe I’m an Anesthesia tech with 3+ years direct patient care experience so I was fortunate to have had a lot of access to PA friends letting me shadow. I did most of my official hours shadowing open heart surgeries and then orthopedic related on the floor and also in the ER. I think I did an official 40 hours? I might try to add more but between school and work it’s been hard to find the extra time. Congrats on wrapping up your app! It’s relieving being done until you get on this forum and hear how competitive a lot of the programs are for first time applicants. Hopefully we all rock our interviews and get into our top picks!

How many shadowing hours did everyone else have? Did the GRE kick your butt? 

The stats on getting in first time are pretty low, so I’m just letting go and preparing for another year. ? so far, this year I’ve shadowed about 20 hours but I have 40 hours from a few years ago. I have shadowed in psych, urology, ED, hospitalist, and I’m trying to get some family hours because that’s where I want to practice and where I’m working now. It’s so weird that there are no PAs in the clinic where I work... wish there were!

I’m so happy not to need the GRE! I think it might be the best thing about having a master degree. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! I'm Tras from Arkansas. I'm applying to both OU-Tulsa and OKC. I was verified by CASPA on 7/10, and I got everything submitted (except CASPer, which I took 7/25) and confirmed on 7/12...or so I thought. Looking at this thread, I decided to go look at the online portal and noticed that I FORGOT TO SUBMIT MY OKC ONLINE APP AND FEE. Gah. I'm an idiot. I guess when I saw that OU-Tulsa was taken care of it screwed me up or something. Oh well...live and learn, I guess. 

Just wondering if any of you guys have heard anything from OKC yet? I'm really hoping my bonehead move didn't cost me any points with the adcom. And what do you guys think? You think I'm good or have I screwed the pooch?

Thanks, guys! 

Hi, Tras! At the information session this year, they told us that they don’t do rolling admissions and don’t even start downloading completed applications to review until after the October 1 deadline. 

That being said, I wouldn’t think the delay would hurt you. They told us there is no advantage for the OKC program to submit early and encouraged us to submit when everything was as complete as possible, and we had included absolutely everything we can, even if that happened in August.

The additional app is really not too bad. It shouldn’t take too long. Did you attach your OU format resume in CASPA? That’s one thing I almost missed. 

Best of luck!! 

Edited by BeBe

On 8/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, BeBe said:

Hi, Tras! At the information session this year, they told us that they don’t do rolling admissions and don’t even start downloading completed applications to review until after the October 1 deadline. 

That being said, I wouldn’t think the delay would hurt you. They told us there is no advantage for the OKC program to submit early and encouraged us to submit when everything was as complete as possible, and we had included absolutely everything we can, even if that happened in August.

The additional app is really not too bad. It shouldn’t take too long. Did you attach your OU format resume in CASPA? That’s one thing I almost missed. 

Best of luck!! 

Ok! Thank God. Haha. I kinda figured I was ok, but still, you know how unnerving these things are! 

Yea, I think I got it all sent in. I've tried to call them but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone. I'll try them again just so I can make sure I have everything submitted this time!

Thanks for your help, and best of luck with your applications! ? 

-Tras

On 8/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, pfeifertrpa said:

Ok! Thank God. Haha. I kinda figured I was ok, but still, you know how unnerving these things are! 

Yea, I think I got it all sent in. I've tried to call them but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone. I'll try them again just so I can make sure I have everything submitted this time!

Thanks for your help, and best of luck with your applications! ? 

-Tras

Only thing to keep in mind is that information is JUST for OKC. Tulsa and OKC programs work independently and a little differently, from what they said at the info session in OKC.  Might want to check with Tulsa on how they review submissions.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:19 AM, BeBe said:

Only thing to keep in mind is that information is JUST for OKC. Tulsa and OKC programs work independently and a little differently, from what they said at the info session in OKC.  Might want to check with Tulsa on how they review submissions.

I appreciate it! I called OKC today to make sure they have everything, and they gave me the all clear! They use the same online portal, so I can be a bit confusing. 

@zoltman and @han2018

Since you guys still have time before the 10/1/18 deadline, I would definitely try to re-submit your resume in the correct format. It's possible that your application would be considered incomplete otherwise, and if that is the case, it won't even be reviewed. Try contact the Admissions office for further guidance!