ACLS/PALS for Application

Hi, 

I am a mid-level applicant (3.3 csGPA, 2000+ PCE hours, 160V/155Q/4.0 GRE) looking to stand out. I have my BLS and EMT certifications, but I was thinking about getting ACLS or PALS as a booster to my application.

Would this help my chances at all? Or would my time and money be better spent on online classes to boost my GPA. 

6 hours ago, EvanDSmith84 said:

Hi, 

I am a mid-level applicant (3.3 csGPA, 2000+ PCE hours, 160V/155Q/4.0 GRE) looking to stand out. I have my BLS and EMT certifications, but I was thinking about getting ACLS or PALS as a booster to my application.

Would this help my chances at all? Or would my time and money be better spent on online classes to boost my GPA. 

I took ACLS for my application and nobody ever referenced it in any of my interviews.

I agree with both the above statements, taking ACLS and PALS is useless you have a certification that allows you to use them. In actual fact you cannot hold ACLS or PALS as an EMT, you can take the class to use as CE credits but you will not obtain any certification from the class.

You are far better off taking a few classes between now and April to boost four GPA a little bit if you can.

In my opinion a really good Personal Statement is a huge way to distance yourself from other applicants. That is your opportunity to tell the adcom who you are and what you are about. Everything else in your CASPA application is a statistic, those numbers don't tell your story they just look like the hundred other people with the same stats.

Your GRE is pretty good and I would think makes up for the average GPA. Think about other aspects of your application. Do you have good volunteer hours? Have you won any awards at work or school? Were you a college athlete? Those are other aspects that will be weighted more highly depending on the schools you are applying to.

Archived