Waiting for work

I was wondering how long it took PAs to find jobs after graduating including the time to sign up for PANCE, get results, apply for work, and actually get their first pay check. I am trying to figure how many months off I will have before I can make payments on my student loans. Do federal student loans continue to be in deferment prior to finding work or do repayments kick in right after graduation? I won't have a job to begin payments right away so I guess I ought to take out extra loans or consider trying to save up to make up for this small period out of school and looking for work. Thank you in advance to everyone for their input!  

From what I understand, your federal loans will stay in deferment for 6 months after graduation. So you won't be required to start making payments until 6 months after graduating. If you are still not employed after that, I believe you can apply for income based deferment or other options until you get going.

For me personally, I know I will be taking out some extra money near graduation time since I there will be more costs associated with taking the PANCE, moving, etc., so that is still something to think about.

Disclaimer: I'm still a student myself and haven't gone through that whole graduation process yet.

You know you can apply for jobs before you pass PANCE, right?  Right?!  Plenty of students have jobs lined up before they graduate.  You still won't start working right away, that varies greatly depending on the process at your new place of employment, but you don't have to wait to pass PANCE before you can start applying.  In fact, I recommend you don't wait.  Hiring in healthcare can take months....it could easily take you to the end of your 6 month deferral time before you not only have replies and interviews but definitely before you get hired and start working.

Even if you HAVE a job lined up before you graduate - you may not start working for 3-4 (or more!) months after graduation...you should plan accordingly for living expenses, moving expenses, PANCE fees, etc.

Remember:  you can always only take out up to the COA your school sets - so unless you've been far below the max amount each semester, you should be planning ahead for needed extra loans far before your final semester - you can't retroactively borrow that money.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:15 AM, greenmood said:

I started applying for jobs about 5 months prior to my graduation. You don't need your PANCE scores to apply - they will hire you contingent on licensure. I was hired in May, graduated in June, and started working in August.

That seems like a lengthy time between getting hired and working. Was there a training period before you started working?

Thank you for your reply. I haven't started yet, but I was curious how many months I should consider being without income after graduating and waiting for work in order to adjust my student loans accordingly.

No, that's pretty standard. It takes several months in most states to be credentialed. In my state the board only meets quarterly; I missed the cut off and worked on a temp license for a month before my regular one came through in September that year.

Don't accept a "training period" without pay. You should receive on the job training after you are hired.

Plan on 3-4 months between graduating and getting paid. Some people manage to do it sooner. IIRC I could have started earlier with that temp license but I needed time to find housing and relocate.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering how long it took PAs to find jobs after graduating including the time to sign up for PANCE, get results, apply for work, and actually get their first pay check. I am trying to figure how many months off I will have before I can make payments on my student loans. Do federal student loans continue to be in deferment prior to finding work or do repayments kick in right after graduation? I won't have a job to begin payments right away so I guess I ought to take out extra loans or consider trying to save up to make up for this small period out of school and looking for work. Thank you in advance to everyone for their input!  
I just graduated this past summer and from my class the average graduation to work time was around 8-10 weeks. The shortest I heard was about 4 weeks but that was one person and there first few weeks were shadowing/orientation on a reduced salary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Mostly likely 2-4 months.....

Graduation to PANCE date: 1 wk (unless you need more time to study)

PANCE test date to results: 1-2 wks (typically need your test results to submit your state licensing app., check with your specific state and have apps completed and ready to submit once you have your scores in hand)

Awaiting State Licensing: Varies. Colorado medical board and many others state 8-10 wks. (a friend in CO just recieved hers after 7wks) *Some states have temporary license that you can work under during this time so check your state licensing rules!*

Credentialing through clinic/hospital: Varies, often some of it can occur at same time as state licensing process is going on but may take 1-4wks after you receive your state license to start your first day of paid work.

So...11-17 wks (3-4 months). Classmates have spoken of 2-4 months. Shortest from our class was 2 months using temporary licensure in her state.

• 1 month later...

Archived