How much is too much to spend on CME? How does your CME allowance (if you have one) influence the programs you attend, if at all?

I've been wondering lately how (if) this affects the medical knowledge of some individual clinicians. For example, does anyone feel that they aren't able to learn what they need to because they don't have room in their budget for a particular CME program/course/etc?

I know this will also depend heavily on the program in question (I have no particular one in mind right now). I'll easily spend close to $2k for a good conference because I know it'll be reimbursed either by my employer or come tax time if I itemize. Not to mention I'll return a more intelligent clinician than I left. However, I also try to collect as much "non-CME" (or category 2) free open-access medical education as I can throughout the year because who doesn't love a good bargain!

Archived