I don't want to settle

I'm 26 and currently have the prerequisites needed for an associates in nursing. I got into a program and realized I wanted a higher level of education with more involvement in medicine. So now I have no associates but rather large amounts of college credits with a four year gap since taking my prerequisites. Aside from leaving the program in 2014 I had not taken anymore prereqs since 2013. During my freshman year of college I was back and forth about career paths and did not apply myself the best I could of at that time. When sophomore year came around I was ready with a new mindset but life had other plans. I was born birth defect called gastroschisis where the intestines are on the outer abdominal wall, it was all repaired at birth and luckily I had no deficits or gastrointestinal issues until my sophomore year in college where I ended up having four major abdominal surgeries. I had already enrolled in my courses and was mid-way through. It was hard and I continued to push through as quitting wasn't an option in my book. Needless to say my grades weren't stellar, I got a C in English, and mirco. I was already on a wait list for nursing school but was taking the prereqs I needed for the BSN to get ahead start.

I then got into the program and decided not to continue after a semester in. Like I said I wanted something more. I was in a funk after that and felt lost as I thought nursing would be my path. I picked up my life and moved to SATX with a new mindset and more stable life in general. Fast forward to the middle of last year where I started to retake the core science glasses that I got B's in. I have retaken A&P 2401 and 2402 with an A in both and I'm currently retaking that micro for a higher grade. Would anyone recommend retaking the English as well as a higher math? Or, should I continue on an uphill trend for my bachelors in psych (as well as add multiple higher level science classes; o chem, psychs etc.)

As far as patient care hours I have been a CNA since 2009. Before moving from AZ I worked in a level one trauma center in the pediatric and adult burn unit for three years. I currently work in an ER and have multiple doctors and one professor thus far that are willing to write letters of recommendation. Becoming a PA is what I was meant to do, the passion runs deep and I'm confident I can show an upward trend from my grades here on out. I also plan on shadowing multiple PA's (15+).

Any advice or critique would be great.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. From here on out it HAS to be an upward trend in your GPA especially those tough higher level science classes/ pre-reqs to really prove yourself. Because not only do you need the passion and commitment, but you also need the mental capacity and unfortunately the primary way you show that is through your grades. Don't waste time retaking any course unless it's a pre-req, instead take higher level science courses like histology, biochemistry, pathology, human physiology, Patho-phys etc..

You have solid PCE hours. I would focus on getting involved with some high quality community service. Furthermore, I think it's a bit extreme to shadow 15+ PA's, I would recommend shadowing maybe 2-3 in different disciplines and build a genuine relationship with each.

As far as your story goes, sounds like you got some good ideas for your personal statement.

Finish strong and good luck!

Thank you very much for the great advice and positive outlook! I'm definitely going to take it seriously and am now currently researching some high quality community service around my city. There are a lot of places and now would be a great time in wake of hurricane Harvey (Houston is 3 hours away). Also, I like your comment on keeping the PA shadowing to a minimal amount in order to develop a genuine relationship. That's a great alternative. Less is more right?

I'm confused in regards to your comment about not wasting time retaking a class unless its a pre-req. English is a basic pre-req to any undergraduate degree and having a C in ENG102 doesn't look appealing? You are correct on not wasting my time doing these though, I feel it would look better to show an upward trend in the heavy sciences on a consistent basis since starting over last August.

Although I'm nervous about jumping into a heavy science class load, as I haven't taken anything above microbiology (the prerequisites for the program that I was applying to stopped at that; they even accepted my high school chemistry), I feel that I am capable. My fear of a challenge is hopefully healthy. Do you have any advice towards jumping into those classes??

I agree with @OneDayPA-C

You'd just have to jump right into those upper level science courses and learn to become an efficient student as you go along. 

Most biology courses are 70% memorization 30% conceptualization (arbitrary number assigned). If you can recognize what is happening in the content you can *most* of the time explain what is happening. This is what I learned after taking A&P. 

12 hours ago, sararoberts201 said:

Thank you very much for the great advice and positive outlook! I'm definitely going to take it seriously and am now currently researching some high quality community service around my city. There are a lot of places and now would be a great time in wake of hurricane Harvey (Houston is 3 hours away). Also, I like your comment on keeping the PA shadowing to a minimal amount in order to develop a genuine relationship. That's a great alternative. Less is more right?

I'm confused in regards to your comment about not wasting time retaking a class unless its a pre-req. English is a basic pre-req to any undergraduate degree and having a C in ENG102 doesn't look appealing? You are correct on not wasting my time doing these though, I feel it would look better to show an upward trend in the heavy sciences on a consistent basis since starting over last August.

Although I'm nervous about jumping into a heavy science class load, as I haven't taken anything above microbiology (the prerequisites for the program that I was applying to stopped at that; they even accepted my high school chemistry), I feel that I am capable. My fear of a challenge is hopefully healthy. Do you have any advice towards jumping into those classes??

Although ENG102 is a pre-req for your degree you want to check if it's a pre-req for any of the PA schools you're thinking about applying too, and then and only then should you retake it.

I'm a Psych major as well, and I found a good balance with my courses by taking 1-2 psy classes, 1 gen ed, 1 bio based science (cell bio, A and P, human phys etc) and 1 chem based course or math based course (so basic chem, gen chem, orgo, stats and the likes). I found it comfortable to take a bio which is memorization heavy and a chem class which is concept heavy, vs 2 bios or 2 chem's. Just found it to be more balanced to the way I learn. 

So I would recommend starting with something like that and if you feel like its easy then add another science class to the mix, and if its too hard then slow down a bit! Main focus is getting stellar grades to prove yourself. 

Archived