• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
56 minutes ago, jtpas said:

Do we need to currently have a doctorate to join the FB group? I'm interested in the DMS program and would like to learn more about it

I will defer to DizzyJ as it is his group, but I believe students are eligible to join as well.

• 6 months later...

I gotta question... The Lynchburg website states that a PA has to be "full time." since I work (on paper) salaried 32 hours a week (though I often work 40+ given staying late or coming in early most days) I would not qualify then?

UPDATE: they wrote me back and said that if I "work 160 hours (about 13 hours a week they said) for each 12 week term" then I qualify.

Now, big question... Is this worth going back to school mode for? [emoji848]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I will finish this program this month.   I worked full time while doing and have been a PA for 15 years.   I highly recommend it.     The classes were very helpful and help push doctoral thought processes and encouraged/strengthened research, developed leadership skills, and also brought excellent instruction on topics we are generally not taught such as business of medicine and Health care law.    The Global Health and Disaster medicine courses were also very interesting.     I felt the price was fair and feel more well rounded for having entered this program.      Fingers crossed, but I may have my first paper published in near future.   I applaud the leadership at U of Lynch DMSc for the innovation and vision in moving our profession forward.  

Daniel

I will finish this program this month.   I worked full time while doing and have been a PA for 15 years.   I highly recommend it.     The classes were very helpful and help push doctoral thought processes and encouraged/strengthened research, developed leadership skills, and also brought excellent instruction on topics we are generally not taught such as business of medicine and Health care law.

Not to take anything away from you. Congrats Djones! But... The bolded above is EXACTLY why I am on the fence with this program.  I want more CLINICAL instruction. (isn't this supposed to be a clinical doctorate?) More of a bridge type program...its probably the path to least resistance for "a doctorate" but I don't need another piece of paper. I would like closer parity with our colleagues (from a medical knowledge base standpoint).

I wish Lynchburg had more in depth medical/clinical courses in their curriculum like advanced cardiology, nephrology, etc.

I believe my Masters (ATSU) really built upon my PA (Stanford PCAP) education by expanding on our base curriculum and I think a PA doctorate should continue to build in that direction or we might as well do "PA theory" classes just to fill in the credits for a "doctorate."

46 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

I wish Lynchburg had more in depth medical/clinical courses in their curriculum like advanced cardiology, nephrology, etc.

the clinical component of the Lynchburg DMSc happens during the practicum:

"Clinical Component: Integrated into the curriculum through the practicum experience with assessment of competency in the PAs area of practice. "

Perhaps Daniel could comment on the clinical practicum component of the program.

the clinical component of the Lynchburg DMSc happens during the practicum: "Clinical Component: Integrated into the curriculum through the practicum experience with assessment of competency in the PAs area of practice. " Perhaps Daniel could comment on the clinical practicum component of the program.

Ok. That was what my Masters did. Clinical classes had IIRC, review of major systems covered in PA school with some added depth to practice and clinical updates/standards with discussion on current issues in a given specialty.  If Daniel can answer if this is in fact what goes on during the clinical course then this may be a worthwhile program.

But still... this isn't the unicorn "True Bridge" Doctorate many of us hope for though.

1 hour ago, Navy PA-C said:

I am just becoming aware of this program and would appreciate insight in to the clinical aspect as well. I thought I was done after ortho fellowship but now there is this...

If you have done a residency you don’t do anything during the clinica practicum except a couple pages of busy work. Still have to pay for the class however.

Archived