2017-2018 application cycle

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone interviewing. I interviewed this cycle and was not accepted. I just wanted to share my experience for anyone still waiting to interview. Before I begin, thank you to Nova Orlando for the opportunity to interview, and anyone reading this should know, this was my first PA interview ever. I was also impressed by their program and would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to interview/attend to do so.

All in all, I was caught off guard by the interview, and I left not feeling great about how it went; I was not surprised when I received the letter that I was not accepted. I have friends who have gone to other programs and did not expect the interview style that Nova Orlando has based on their respective advice/experience. I was expecting a discussion oriented and somewhat lengthy interview. That is not what happened.

The interview is 3 separate interviews with 1 or 2 faculty at the same time each, they literally time it on their phones (exactly 10 min). You rotate through 3 different rooms (1 10min interview in each) in quick succession (1-5 min in between). Each room has its own "topic." 

The interview felt a bit like an interrogation, and the tone was "why do you deserve to be here" rather than "why do you want to be here." 

I went in prepared to have a philosophical discussion about medicine or patient care and talk about life and patient care experiences. What I actually got were rapid fire questions including "if there was 1 seat left, why should we give it to you?" that could only really be replied to well with rehearsed answers. 

I also expected some give and take in a conversational way, what occurred was they asked a question, I answered it, then they moved on to the next question. There was very little to no elaboration and no follow up questions based on my answers. The faculty were also very stoic and tried not to visibly respond to your answers. 

I don't have the experience to know if this is a common interview style and I was no doubt a bit naive going in. I just wanted to forewarn anyone who may be interviewing to be prepared for this type of interview style as well as provide some first hand experience since it is so hard to come by. If you are going to interview at Nova Orlando, go in feeling highly competitive and have a slew of prepared answers to all the default "common interview questions." You don't have the time to elaborate or think long about how to answer the questions. 

They also have a bit of a short "mixer" with faculty before the interviews, they are all the people who are going to be interviewing you. I sort of sat back and made small talk, my advise would be to have some questions prepared to ask and try to build some sort of rapport, because the actual interview is not the place to do it. 

Good luck out there. 

Guest hcruz496
14 hours ago, Anachronist said:

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone interviewing. I interviewed this cycle and was not accepted. I just wanted to share my experience for anyone still waiting to interview. Before I begin, thank you to Nova Orlando for the opportunity to interview, and anyone reading this should know, this was my first PA interview ever. I was also impressed by their program and would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to interview/attend to do so.

All in all, I was caught off guard by the interview, and I left not feeling great about how it went; I was not surprised when I received the letter that I was not accepted. I have friends who have gone to other programs and did not expect the interview style that Nova Orlando has based on their respective advice/experience. I was expecting a discussion oriented and somewhat lengthy interview. That is not what happened.

The interview is 3 separate interviews with 1 or 2 faculty at the same time each, they literally time it on their phones (exactly 10 min). You rotate through 3 different rooms (1 10min interview in each) in quick succession (1-5 min in between). Each room has its own "topic." 

The interview felt a bit like an interrogation, and the tone was "why do you deserve to be here" rather than "why do you want to be here." 

I went in prepared to have a philosophical discussion about medicine or patient care and talk about life and patient care experiences. What I actually got were rapid fire questions including "if there was 1 seat left, why should we give it to you?" that could only really be replied to well with rehearsed answers. 

I also expected some give and take in a conversational way, what occurred was they asked a question, I answered it, then they moved on to the next question. There was very little to no elaboration and no follow up questions based on my answers. The faculty were also very stoic and tried not to visibly respond to your answers. 

I don't have the experience to know if this is a common interview style and I was no doubt a bit naive going in. I just wanted to forewarn anyone who may be interviewing to be prepared for this type of interview style as well as provide some first hand experience since it is so hard to come by. If you are going to interview at Nova Orlando, go in feeling highly competitive and have a slew of prepared answers to all the default "common interview questions." You don't have the time to elaborate or think long about how to answer the questions. 

They also have a bit of a short "mixer" with faculty before the interviews, they are all the people who are going to be interviewing you. I sort of sat back and made small talk, my advise would be to have some questions prepared to ask and try to build some sort of rapport, because the actual interview is not the place to do it. 

Good luck out there. 

Wow, that was not my experience at all. I felt their interview was pretty laid back. All faculty seemed very personable to me. 

I felt their questions were all relevant and were asked to bring out why I was a good fit as an applicant. Many of the questions asked were ones I found beforehand when preparing. 

I highly suggest Andrew Rodican’s book for interview prep and do some research of common PA interview questions. I practiced my answers to these with a webcam. Also, when given seemingly pointless questions think what is the motive behind the question, what are they looking for? Hope that helps and best of luck!

3 hours ago, hcruz496 said:

Wow, that was not my experience at all. I felt their interview was pretty laid back. All faculty seemed very personable to me. 

I felt their questions were all relevant and were asked to bring out why I was a good fit as an applicant. Many of the questions asked were ones I found beforehand when preparing. 

I highly suggest Andrew Rodican’s book for interview prep and do some research of common PA interview questions. I practiced my answers to these with a webcam. Also, when given seemingly pointless questions think what is the motive behind the question, what are they looking for? Hope that helps and best of luck!

Thanks for the info, yes it is just not a style I'm familiar with. In past experiences and based on (though limited) friends experiences interviewing, I am both more accustomed to and was expecting a discussion oriented interview, with back and forth communication. I personally prefer a discussion rather than hypothetical questions with rehearsed answers as the former tends to be a more genuine exchange of information. But if this application cycle is not successful for me, I'll certainly put more effort into "playing the game," as distasteful and sophomoric as I find it. 

6 hours ago, Anachronist said:

Thanks for the info, yes it is just not a style I'm familiar with. In past experiences and based on (though limited) friends experiences interviewing, I am both more accustomed to and was expecting a discussion oriented interview, with back and forth communication. I personally prefer a discussion rather than hypothetical questions with rehearsed answers as the former tends to be a more genuine exchange of information. But if this application cycle is not successful for me, I'll certainly put more effort into "playing the game," as distasteful and sophomoric as I find it. 

I agree. I interviewed with the program this cycle and the faculty seemed more distant rather than engaging. I am certain that is just their interviewing format, I just didn't feel like I really got chance to find out about the program due to the rapid fire format of the interview. Students kept talking about their PANCE rates and "taking equivalent of 300 practice exams" throughout the program. Personally, I would have liked to know how the program is preparing students for clinical practice rather than the exam, which I understand is very important. The lady who gave us info at the clinical session spent the hour complaining about students in the program..

49 minutes ago, rachelrom101 said:

due to GRE date and other unforeseen circumstances I will not be able to apply until late November- being realistic, is it too late in the cycle to apply at that time? should i wait for the 2018 cycle?

Disclaimer: I'm pre-PA, so caveat emptor. I think it depends on how late in November you're talking about. Nova -Orlando's info on the PAEA site shows a "blue" deadline of December 1, meaning your CASPA application could be incomplete and still be put in the queue for verification before the deadline. Have you taken the GRE yet? If not, the writing score does take time to come back, and an additional 2-3 days for scores to be sent.

I was previously advised on another thread that applying later in the cycle in and of itself doesn't preclude chances of an interview, but doing that at any school with rolling admissions does reduce that chance. The Nova Ft Myers FAQ page notes that they typically interview from September through April (not sure if it's identical for Orlando though.)

My personal opinion (and it's an unqualified one) is go for it if you feel that you have dynamite stats and can have everything in quickly. If you're worried about going off half-cocked, then you might be doing yourself a service by waiting for next cycle and applying early. I hope that helps. Definitely invite other input on the topic though.

I'm a little concerned because I spoke with a NSU Orlando applicant who informed me there was a mix up with her application. She said they sent her an invitation email to the wrong address and when she didn't respond they marked her application as declined interview. Should we reach out to confirm they are still processing our application?

9 hours ago, helpyousoon said:

I'm a little concerned because I spoke with a NSU Orlando applicant who informed me there was a mix up with her application. She said they sent her an invitation email to the wrong address and when she didn't respond they marked her application as declined interview. Should we reach out to confirm they are still processing our application?

This happened to me too! I had my emailed changed in their system and called twice to confirm and they let me know that my application was still in review, this was about a month ago probably. I applied back in May so I'm starting to get anxious as to why I haven't heard back from them at all. I had issues with all of the other NSU locations getting emails to me as well. I don't want to bother them too much but I'm worried that I still won't receive any emails. 

Good luck out there. 

I had the same experience with them and it made me realize that I couldn't see myself at that school so I declined my acceptance. I can say that this is not like many other interviews at large universities but have heard it is a common theme for the NOVA locations.

13 hours ago, sunshinestar said:

I had the same experience with them and it made me realize that I couldn't see myself at that school so I declined my acceptance. I can say that this is not like many other interviews at large universities but have heard it is a common theme for the NOVA locations.

I interviewed on Tuesday with Nova Jacksonville and can say it was not like this description of the Orlando experience. They were all very warm and welcoming. In both the group and individual interviews they were smiling, responding, engaged and it really left a great impression with me about the school in general. 

Archived