2017-2018 application cycle

Guest hcruz496

submitted to CASPA 8/6, got an interview invite today! Wow that happened fast.  I'm so excited.  I interview 11/3, wish it could be sooner!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, jfroogle said:

Orlando campus interview offer received today. September 12th 8:30 am session!

CASPA Submitted: 5-06-17

CASPA Verified: 5-11-17

Supplemental Completed: 06-20-17

I'm interviewing on September 12th, too! Will you be traveling from out of state or just driving over the morning of? This will be my first out-of-state interview so I'm a little nervous with making the living arrangements and traveling car vs plane down there. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, preparona said:

I'm interviewing on September 12th, too! Will you be traveling from out of state or just driving over the morning of? This will be my first out-of-state interview so I'm a little nervous with making the living arrangements and traveling car vs plane down there. 

Sorry, I am just now seeing this. I live in Orlando. If you have any questions and/or need help getting around, I'd be happy to help! PM me.

On 8/3/2017 at 3:28 PM, katmetzger said:

Hi everyone,

I just got invited to an interview for NOVA Orlando on September 26th! Super excited to interview and meet other candidates. I have some questions about the program from current students and past interviewees. I'm seeing that the interviews are 3 sessions, roughly 10 min each, and a writing sample included. I'm wondering if this is an MMI format or simply multiple solo interviews where you meet 3 faculty members and they assess you separately? Also, what are the benefits of the Orlando program compared to others? What inspired you to attend or apply to this program? 

Information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your input and best of luck to everyone! See you all there next month!

Hey!

I'm a current student and totally forgot about this forum till like right now.  Congrats to those who interviewed today, ya'll looked terrified but that's normal ;P and congrats to those who are interviewing soon!

When I interviewed last year, I had three 2 on 1's with professors, so that would be 6 in total, some activity session and I honestly can't remember a writing portion.  Also, be advised, they change things up.  Some of my classmates had different scenarios.  One had a 1 on 1 and then a 2 on 1 and a 2 on 1 if I'm not mistaken.  It was something weird.  Remember, we are also actively learning so the professors might be teaching us during that block which means they aren't interviewing that day.  

As to why Orlando?  This campus is amazing.  The professors really want you to succeed and they continuously improve the program. For example, they started last year's class writing prescriptions in their second summer of didactic and soon realized that maybe we should start them earlier so my cycle, they are going to have us start being introduced to writing this semester and build on that.  Hello PANCE scores.  Did you see them?  Obviously the professors are doing amazing things and building us up to succeed.  The class that just graduated should start taking those soon so we will see how they do but the tests we are going to start taking this semester will start gearing us up for the PANCE. We will be thinking 10 steps ahead of what a certain disease is doing instead of them babying us, so that we walk into it and go, I got this.  Right now I don't feel like that... aka it's pharm season for us but we all have to go through it.

Why did I apply to this program?  I'm from Florida and wanted to live specifically in Orlando but honestly where ever I got in I would have gone.  I applied to a crap ton of programs last round.  As soon as I left the interview for the day, I felt like I was home.  It's a weird feeling to describe.  I felt like I fit in and like I was wanted.  I never felt that way when I interviewed at other programs.  I literally had 5 other interviews lined up that month and canceled them and pulled my application from other schools cause I loved it so much.

Sorry I'm a little wordy.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I'll try to hop onto here when I take a 5 minute break every now and then.  Please do not ask me what the questions they asked were or any of those types of questions because I will not respond to those types of questions.  It's unfair to those who have already interviewed and to the program itself.

Good luck and I'm sure I'll see some of you!

pacharm

On September 1, 2017 at 0:37 PM, pacharm said:

Hey!

I'm a current student and totally forgot about this forum till like right now.  Congrats to those who interviewed today, ya'll looked terrified but that's normal ;P and congrats to those who are interviewing soon!

When I interviewed last year, I had three 2 on 1's with professors, so that would be 6 in total, some activity session and I honestly can't remember a writing portion.  Also, be advised, they change things up.  Some of my classmates had different scenarios.  One had a 1 on 1 and then a 2 on 1 and a 2 on 1 if I'm not mistaken.  It was something weird.  Remember, we are also actively learning so the professors might be teaching us during that block which means they aren't interviewing that day.  

As to why Orlando?  This campus is amazing.  The professors really want you to succeed and they continuously improve the program. For example, they started last year's class writing prescriptions in their second summer of didactic and soon realized that maybe we should start them earlier so my cycle, they are going to have us start being introduced to writing this semester and build on that.  Hello PANCE scores.  Did you see them?  Obviously the professors are doing amazing things and building us up to succeed.  The class that just graduated should start taking those soon so we will see how they do but the tests we are going to start taking this semester will start gearing us up for the PANCE. We will be thinking 10 steps ahead of what a certain disease is doing instead of them babying us, so that we walk into it and go, I got this.  Right now I don't feel like that... aka it's pharm season for us but we all have to go through it.

Why did I apply to this program?  I'm from Florida and wanted to live specifically in Orlando but honestly where ever I got in I would have gone.  I applied to a crap ton of programs last round.  As soon as I left the interview for the day, I felt like I was home.  It's a weird feeling to describe.  I felt like I fit in and like I was wanted.  I never felt that way when I interviewed at other programs.  I literally had 5 other interviews lined up that month and canceled them and pulled my application from other schools cause I loved it so much.

Sorry I'm a little wordy.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I'll try to hop onto here when I take a 5 minute break every now and then.  Please do not ask me what the questions they asked were or any of those types of questions because I will not respond to those types of questions.  It's unfair to those who have already interviewed and to the program itself.

Good luck and I'm sure I'll see some of you!

pacharm

Hey pacharm! 

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry about the late response, I've been traveling to other interviews recently, your feedback really helped me. I'm glad to see that you love the program, I can't wait to see it for myself. Don't worry, I won't ask about specific questions, besides the chances of them repeating the questions are slim to nothing. So these are solo interviews, not MMI? Just would like to know the difference so to prepare properly! What would you say are the pros/cons of this program? What makes this campus stand out from the other NOVA campuses?

What areas do they pride themselves in study?

Thank you! 

On 9/16/2017 at 0:36 AM, katmetzger said:

Hey pacharm! 

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry about the late response, I've been traveling to other interviews recently, your feedback really helped me. I'm glad to see that you love the program, I can't wait to see it for myself. Don't worry, I won't ask about specific questions, besides the chances of them repeating the questions are slim to nothing. So these are solo interviews, not MMI? Just would like to know the difference so to prepare properly! What would you say are the pros/cons of this program? What makes this campus stand out from the other NOVA campuses?

What areas do they pride themselves in study?

Thank you! 

From what I remember, the questions are about you and every aspect of you.  Everything gets looked at, from your applications, grades, personality, and especially how you fit into the program and you are asked about everything.  I have no idea what they are looking for or how I managed to be accepted but as one of our professors always says to us: BE CONFIDENT! If you are confident, you've won half the battle. 

Pros: the professors (they are very accomplished and are always willing to work with you), location (hello disney and universal!!), I'm only in my second semester so I can't comment on rotations but they added two new ones for our elective that are pretty cool neurosurgery and some type of cardiac surgery I think.  PANCE scores are amazing. They managed to pick a wide range of classmates so we all come from different backgrounds and can contribute different perspectives. I personally like that we don't have a cadaver portion but that might change how you feel about the program. We have the whole third floor to just our program and the "study rooms" are big classes that are reserved solely for us so we aren't fighting over places to study.  Places to live are very close by so my commute is 1 minute.  There is sooooo much to do/see and enjoy in Orlando.  NO SNOW!  I'm from Florida and I don't like freezing cold.  ;P  They really want you to succeed and aren't trying to fail you by making it so incredibly hard that you want to quit.  They challenge us and PA school is not meant to be a breeze.  At the end of didactic we do a mission trip (not required).

Cons: Hurricanes that disrupt the semester so we have instead of a 15 week semester, a 13 week semester but they couldn't help that.  Mandatory lecture. 8:00-4:20 Mon-Fri baby!  (they do try to give us some time off during the week, usually a Friday afternoon, unless you have a hurricane...) So far I'm pretty pleased with this program sooooo, I'll have to get back to you with cons.

What makes us stand out: The program tries to meld everything together.  So, right now we are learning HEENT in CMS, pharmacology, physical diagnosis, pathophysiology (starts next week on ENT, Optho), and micro also follows along with pharm, so we are constantly getting this same concept beat into our heads.  Then we will move onto either pulmonary or cardiology, I'm to tired to look, and everything will follow along with that section.  Then like GI, then GU, then so forth and so on.  I think it's a very helpful way to get the information into your brain when you are constantly being tested on the same material for a month/month and a half, then going onto something new.  Everything is integrated so that everyone is on the same page.

As far as the other campuses, I interviewed at Fort Myers.  I'm not going to bash them. I don't think I would have succeeded there.  It was just a feeling.  Not sure how to describe it.  I didn't enjoy my interview.  I cried driving home for like an hour... so yeahhhh.  I had canceled my Jacksonville one (cause I was accepted here) but I have a friend that goes there and he loves it.  They do high school clinicals I think during the semester.  We (Nova Orlando) do one towards the end of the third semester so we sort of know what we are doing.  It's free physicals for school aged kids! As for Ft. Lauderdale, they have the cadaver lab (which I heard is super hard), but if anything you do have the opportunity if you want to go down there and look at one.  Not sure of the process but you can make it happen if you want.  I just heard Ft. Lauderdale was very picky about their GPA's so that might factor into whether you even get an interview or not.  I did not get an interview there probably for that reason.

Any other questions, let me know!

pacharm

On 9/7/2017 at 3:16 PM, preparona said:

Not sure if this has already been addressed in an earlier post or not, but does anyone know how the interviews are conducted? Like multi mini or individual? Also, is anyone interviewing on 11/3? I was in the 9/12 interview, but they cancelled that date because of the hurricane. 

@preparona I will be there 11/3!

1 minute ago, gala9944 said:

For anyone that has applied to more than 1 Nova location, can you let me know if you received individual e-mails to complete the supplemental portion from each school. I received an e-mail from Orlando location a month ago and submitted but have yet to hear back from Ft. Laud. campus. Not sure if I should just submit it or if maybe I did not receive it from Ft. Laud campus for a reason. Thanks in advance! 

I got emails from each of the three I applied to not long after CASPA verification. One went to spam though, so double check there.

I'm in a bit of quandry. I have been accepted to a program that starts in January. Orlando NSU is my top choice but I haven't been contacted about an interview. Is it realistic to expect that I'll know whether or not NSU ORL will accept me by the other program's start date in January? You know they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. This is a tough one. 

1 hour ago, helpyousoon said:

I'm in a bit of quandry. I have been accepted to a program that starts in January. Orlando NSU is my top choice but I haven't been contacted about an interview. Is it realistic to expect that I'll know whether or not NSU ORL will accept me by the other program's start date in January? You know they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. This is a tough one. 

I'm in the same exact boat. It depends how far out interviews are right now. I've heard if you interview you hear back within two weeks or so if you've been accepted, so if you get an interview by early December you should know, but I think interviews are already going out to November so we would have to hear back soon or hope for a cancellation if we don't get a date until next year

1 hour ago, Acap said:

I'm in the same exact boat. It depends how far out interviews are right now. I've heard if you interview you hear back within two weeks or so if you've been accepted, so if you get an interview by early December you should know, but I think interviews are already going out to November so we would have to hear back soon or hope for a cancellation if we don't get a date until next year

That is comforting to know how quick the response is after the interview. Hopefully we'll get scheduled soon. I have an interview for Jacksonville NSU on October 10th but still more interested in Orlando.

Archived