Being "Exempt" Salaried Employee

Guest UVAPAC

Guest UVAPAC

I was just wondering if you guys are all salaried/exempt employees or get paid on an hourly basis.

The MD's I work with love telling me "You are exempt, there is no such thing as working overtime" even though my offer letter states 40 hours a week. 

We often get walk-in visits at the end of the day where I leave the office 20-30 minutes late, or occasions where I work straight through my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

Are you guys compensated for this time?  Are we just expected to work additional hours because we are "professional/exempt"

I also work a per-diem job in urgent care where if I stay overtime, I get paid overtime.  It almost seems like a far better way to go?

Doc's, practice managers, office folks all want you to work for free..

Some to make more money, some to not have to turn away a patient, some because they just expect you too.

But working for free is something we should never do - we are a revenue GENERATING employee and our compensation is tied to how much revenue we make (or it should be)

If you are not going to be paid any more then you should not see "extra" patients or stay late....

Take an hourly rate over salary almost every time...... prevents most this...

Additionally although most people want you to work more for free they don't really understand what salary means - it means that you can leave really early and they can not subtract from your pay.... ever.... but they never tell you that...

I work for a salary, which is great because my earnings are not tied to RVUs, and I get paid the same if I don't order unnecessary tests or do unnecessary procedures. I get paid the same if I spend 10 minutes reassuring someone their cough isn't pneumonia or if I spend 35 minutes sympathizing and coming up with a plan to handle a new cancer diagnosis. However, this works because my clinic doesn't believe in seeing 4 patients per hour either.

We are all salaried but our group builds in 1 hr overlap on each shift for signout and incidentals (i.e. we are paid to be on shift 13 hours but often leave after 12-12.5). 9x/10 we leave ~30 minutes early, but for the times we have to stay late, there's a time buffer.

Good point: my group defines full-time as 35 hours a week of scheduled patient visits. It's understood there can be about an hour a day of random charting, dealing with emails, paperwork, etc. Sometimes more, sometimes less, averaging out to 5 hours a week so a work week is really about 40 hours. We don't get scheduled for 40 hours in front of patients and then told to just deal with the rest.

We are all salaried but our group builds in 1 hr overlap on each shift for signout and incidentals (i.e. we are paid to be on shift 13 hours but often leave after 12-12.5). 9x/10 we leave ~30 minutes early, but for the times we have to stay late, there's a time buffer.

This is about how we do it, too. I rarely leave early, but I also rarely leave late.

Technically, OP, as an exempt employee you may be required to "work until the work is done." In practice that's not acceptable if it routinely requires you to stay late. If I was leaving a half hour late every single day I would be going to my supervisors to discuss how we might streamline the day a little better to get me out of there on time. The lunch break thing is a little different. I eat when I can, and that's sometimes at my desk doing paperwork. I would not kick up a fuss about that, but that's just me. If I never got a single second to eat lunch, ever, I'd be back with my supervisors again working on time management and prioritization.

I am going to be doing 7/7/84 nocturnist. Signed today, but won't be working until late fall. The contract states that you get paid hourly but if you read carefully you are expected to get your work done during that time and work x hours per year so it is really not hourly. I put this up mainly for other new grads as this is pretty common; don't misconstrue as hourly. I am told from two others in the position that you usually get out on time (Tough to make people stay later than 12 hours with the sun coming up but I'm sure it happens). Would not have taken the job without this info and more regarding workload etc.

We will have option to pick up extra shifts on the floor as well as ER and will get straight hourly rate for these. No time and half as far as I know (withholding my opinion on whether this is ideal for patient care, but it is one of the appeals of this job that I will be able to gain experience in both). I was able to get PTO doubled from 2 days to 4 (I know. I know..) which I saw as face saving more than anything. Annual is solid especially for COL here. Good first job overall IMO.

On related note I am going to the ER Boot Camp starting Monday. EMEDPA thanks for your input in other thread about this I agree it is pricey, but it seemed much better than the one from the other company which seemed more about CME credit than learning. Also was pretty much the only thing that was doable schedulewise for me on shortish notice. Unfortunately the procedures course was full, but I'm sort of getting tight now anyways and not sure I would have had time to review all the prestudy materials.

AAR to follow.

There is also a hospitalist one in the Fall in SD that I might consider especially if I can maybe use CME for it.

I fell into the trap of a salary 2x.  Never again.  I worked more hours for less money then I care to remember.  I ONLY do hourly now.  They always say that you will get your full salary if you work less then 40!  It never works out that way.  I always worked more then 40 with no lunch and no pay.

Archived