this is why phone medicine doesn't work for urgent care probs....

so, just saw a guy with hearing loss who stated he had done an online md consult and been told he had allergies. several days of Flonase and Sudafed and no improvement so he comes to the ER....where I remove the piece of cotton in his ear.....I'm not too worried about my job being automated or shipped overseas....

I take it buddy on the white coat side of the FaceTime cam didn't ask patient concerned to actually put the camera to the affected ear to try and get a loo see inside?  Honestly, I'd have to call that borderline malpractice...good thing it wasn't something more sinister going on.

SK

There was an article on telemedicine in the local Business Times paper. It actually mentioned a practitioner asking a patient to put the phone up to the ear to see if red - what? the pinna? Certainly one cannot see the TM with an iphone. 

They also mentioned looking in the throat with the phone and doing close ups of rashes. The piece was obviously touting telemedicine as THE thing - not one mention of downfalls or potential issues. Pure fluff in my opinion. 

I find the whole thing unappealing and hope to never participate in it as a provider or patient. 

"So, M'am, please hit yourself in the back just below your ribs. No, not there, higher. Does that hurt? Can you hit a little harder?"..............................

Heaven help us..................

I'm all for telemedicine if the set up is right - had a preceptor in school that used to do anaesthesia consults via telemedicine set ups - but they had electronic stethoscopes and a trained nurse on the other side to help with stuff.  This is pretty much quackery catering to the lazy with good credit cards.

$0.02 Cdn

SK

I, as a patient, have had so many of my insurances offer and PUSH for online/phone 'visits' for 'minor' issues to avoid the cost of an urgent care visit.  Sore throat they say?  From the comfort of your home have it looked at online!  Like it was somehow to my benefit to save some money, time, and convenience to NOT go see a real person.  "You can get 3 visits each year for a flat $45 fee each visit!".  Gee, thanks but no thanks.

so, just saw a guy with hearing loss who stated he had done an online md consult and been told he had allergies. several days of Flonase and Sudafed and no improvement so he comes to the ER....where I remove the piece of cotton in his ear.....I'm not too worried about my job being automated or shipped overseas....

You should be worried, it's the next "big thing".  It saves money...tons of money for the corporate overlords and that is all that matters.  I never thought I would see non nurses giving shots...it happened.  I then thought I would never see non MA's giving shots in UC...Go to any corporate UC in DFW and there is a good chance the person giving you a shot is NOT an MA or nurse, but an NCT trained just barely enough to shoot crappy film who had a 1 hour training session on giving shots.   The fact is...if it saves them money, they will find a way to do it.  Good health practice be damned.  Oh and btw, a PA i know is now getting sued for a bad shot given by their "tech" (nct).  It's a nightmare.

Archived