asking again: who's going to AAPA conference in Las Vegas?

It would be great, but our hospital rolled our CME money into our yearly salary. So now I get a little "extra" money each paycheck (taxed, of course), and have to pony up for any conferences. So it's all online CME for me from now on...

We still have our CME days though.

wow, it is interesting as to all the negative reasons (all valid) as to why people WON'T attend.  I do not have the numbers of previous attendance amounts but I am sure they are dropping off precipitously every year.  Case and point the Association of Family Practice PAs which was disbanded recently but on a positive note will be resurrected as the "Academy of Family Practice Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners" (proposed name).  This effort is being spearheaded by Blaine Carmichael, who originated the group 2 decades ago.

It would be great, but our hospital rolled our CME money into our yearly salary. So now I get a little "extra" money each paycheck (taxed, of course), and have to pony up for any conferences. So it's all online CME for me from now on...

We still have our CME days though.

Should not be ok to tax that. You only end up with 70-75% of the funds and it could push your tax bracket up.

GGGRRRRR

Should not be ok to tax that. You only end up with 70-75% of the funds and it could push your tax bracket up.

GGGRRRRR

My hospital does the same... super annoying. 

If I was going to a conference in Vegas in May, I would opt for SHM over AAPA. Last spring the CME felt like PA school all over again rather than enrichment for professionals. Overall- the final decision was made by money, I'll stick to a state conference or online CME this year. 

I also thought the CME last year was a bit generalized. I think they are heavily focusing on current students or recent graduates. I have been to 3 of the 4 last conferences and there have been the exact same presentations several times by some of the better known faces there. Almost no difference in the material. It is like they have their house set list or something. The stuff that wasn't generalized was kind of esoteric surgical topics.  

It is a touch frustrating to pay so much (AAPA membership + conference fees + lodging + travel + food/expenses while there) to have some of the more useful things cost extra money. I understand there is a sheer volume limitation, but I hope that it is a bit better this time. Will enjoy Las Vegas either way. 

I suspect I may shoot for some more specific training next year, especially if the conference is similar to last year. 

Archived