First PA-C to DO bridge program announced

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sorry. I dont know if this was said. Maybe it was. But what is the incentive to do this expect for one year shaved off the top? Maybe that is a bigger deal to others than it is to me. Is it a little easier as far as requirement scores/grades go to get into the bridge program vs. applying directly to the DO program. And if not, why did those who applied to this program not apply for this sort of thing earlier when there was only one more year they would of had to do?

On the flip side: Congrats on getting in Prima... From what I remember you posting before it sounds like you are doing what you have wanted to do. Good luck!

For me, I think I did get a little "special consideration" because of my ten years of service as a PA. I also think they liked that I had taught. It's a funny thing--through teaching I've found SO MUCH MORE I wish to learn, so instead of curing this age-old longing to go to medical school, for me, teaching only fueled the fire.

Also I have developed a new interest in end-of-life care/palliative medicine through my work in PA education...I may never have known I had a desire to do this, and of course I could have been a HPM practitioner as a PA, but I wish to shake things up on the policy level and I needed a doctoral degree to do that. Since I am a clinician at heart, DO suits me better than a DHS (which I did very strongly consider).

As it was, I was planning to brush up a couple of prereqs, maybe retake the MCAT and reapply next year anyway. It was never in my plans to apply this year but it just sort of landed in my lap, and I said sure, I'll try. Gulp. Now I guess I really have my work cut out for me....

Now, I must say, for those of you who think we as PAs learn everything the docs learn--you have no idea. I have no idea. One of the students I met with during my interview showed me his courseload for spring of M1. It was, I kid you not, about 37 credit hours...for one semester. There is just THAT MUCH to learn.

Would it be nice if we could test out of some of these courses? Sure. I've taught physical diagnosis; it would be swell if I didn't have to take it again. OTOH, it would be an easy A and I could really help out my classmates so I am not opposed to it. There are plenty of things I could stand to learn again and learn better: I hate kidneys. I'm absolutely terrible at acid-base chemistry. And yet I want to be an internist...go figure. Better re-learn kidneys.

I'll keep you posted.

Im sorry. I dont know if this was said. Maybe it was. But what is the incentive to do this expect for one year shaved off the top? Maybe that is a bigger deal to others than it is to me. Is it a little easier as far as requirement scores/grades go to get into the bridge program vs. applying directly to the DO program. And if not, why did those who applied to this program not apply for this sort of thing earlier when there was only one more year they would of had to do?

On the flip side: Congrats on getting in Prima... From what I remember you posting before it sounds like you are doing what you have wanted to do. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

I am curious, say someone is a PA then completed this program and specializes in lets say internal medicine. Let's say hypothetically, as a PA they did neurosurgery, or let's say OBGYN. Then, once a DO, can they still go to do first assist for neurosurgery, or do their PA duties in OBGYN? How does that work? Seems like this might narrow the scope of practice for PAs becoming DOs? Or do you keep any of the benefits of being a PA?

So you would be unable to go back and work as a PA?

Let's say you become a DO in internal medicine, get bored of it, and want to go back to being first assist in a surgical specialty as a PA. Can you still be hired as a PA?

why wouldn't you just do a surgical do residency if you like surgery? and who would give up 250k/yr to work 30 hrs/week as an internist to go back to 125k to work 60 hrs/week and take call?

(although if you do fp as a do you could still first assist-they have a very broad scope of practice....)

Archived