overtime pay

I'm "exempt" status at my position.  I've never been paid for overtime in any position (at least in cash).  This being said, I am "volunteering" next weekend to attend a health fair sponsored by my employer and I've been told that I'll get paid for however long I stay (two hours at present and I'll see how it goes).  Dr. Google says exempt are not entitled to OT pay.

After posting my question, I went on line to check in Texas for PAs and NPs and if we are paid hourly as opposed to salaried then we are NOT exempt and must be paid OT at 1 1/2 our hourly rate. Google and check yourself. There was a case in Tyler TX where a facility was sued by PAs and NPs for non payment of OT. The 5th circuit court ruled that they were entitled to OT and did not fall under the exemption for professionals.

Yeah, it all depends on how your compensation is set up when you are hired (or renegotiate).  If you are salaried, then you are compensated for completing your work no matter how long it takes.  If you are paid hourly, then you get paid a rate for every hour worked.  Salaried positions lend themselves to the worker becoming more and more efficient.  BUT!!!! I have had salaried positions (not PA jobs yet as I am still a student for three more months) that have included OT pay for things that were added to my job description.  It all depends on how the work-compensation agreement is set up.

• Administrator

I'm in Washington, and hourly, and my contract specifies time-and-a-half for >80 hours per two week pay period.  I've gotten overtime a couple of times after we had an unexpected provider departure a year ago, but that clause is mostly there to make sure I don't regularly have to work more than 40 hours per week, while allowing some flexibility for hours shifting from one week to the next should a situation arise where I needed to.

In Texas, exempt employees are by definition guaranteed full time pay (80 hrs) even if you work less than this, time over 80 hrs can be paid as straight hourly or not at all but no requirement to pay time and a half. Non-exempt employees do not have guaranteed minimum pay, but will be paid time and a half for any time over 80 in a pay period. 

PAs can be exempt or non-exempt, it just depends on what your pay agreement is when you take a position. 

This might be federal labor law, not based on state...

The Fair Labor Standards Act which governs the requirement for Overtime Pay is a Federal Law. It is not dependent on state laws. It applies equally in every state.

The basic rule is that Hourly workers are entitled to Overtime based on specific guidelines triggered at either 40 hours per week or 80 hours per two weeks depending on the specific position and scheduling proceedures. This is explained well on AAPA website here:

https://www.aapa.org/twocolumn.aspx?id=2796

Salaried workers are ALSO entitled to overtime if they make less than $913/week or $47,476/year. (This $$ is as of Dec 1, 2016 and will index annually).

The 2016 updates can be found here:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/final2016/overtime-factsheet.htm

AAPA has a great breakdown of how it applies to PAs but it has not been updated to reflect the 2016 numbers. You can find it here:

https://www.aapa.org/twocolumn.aspx?id=2796

Archived