How much notice would you give?

Hi all,

A little on the current situation: I work in an under served FM office. It is just myself and a doc which to say the least has been a challenge. Very stressful environment.

A few weeks back I was told that I would have to go part time to make room for a new MD hire that they just happened to "snatch up". The She apparently wanted to do inner city medicine and liked the office.

They also had before this hired a brand new doc out of residency. After a very tense meeting with myself, the doc I work with, the practice manager, the medical director and a senior administrator- In which my ability see enough patients per day was questioned. I had been told that my comfort level was fine with them -

I had been doing 20 min acutes, 40 min chronics - very complicated job compliant patients who hadn't been seen in >6 months before the previous provider left.

Also this did not seem to be an issue until I declined to work part time.

So I made it clear that I will not be staying- the next day I received an email from the administrator saying that if I hadn't found a job within the system I would have to leave by October 30th.

With that being said I've just about had enough of this here. I just don't know how much notice to give.

I was told by one PA that even though they were unprofessional I should be and give 4 weeks notice.

The double standard is exhausting- to be treated like garbage and then have to be "professional".

I did NOT sign a contract.

Since you have been told that you have to leave by Oct 30, I would consider that a free shot at starting when and where you'd like.

Ideally give them as much notice as you can, but on the other hand, you have essentially been fired as of a given date and your continued financial viability obviously must be your priority.

Don't focus too much on all the negatives; you are leaving and hopefully will end up somewhere better for you.

As it looks like someone will be inheriting your patient load (some places require giving patients a minimum amount of notice of you leaving), l'd just concern yourself with finding a job, then give 3-4 weeks notice IF YOU CAN.  They've at least given you 2 months, which as noted above, is not all that unpolite - you could have come back to work to find your office occupied by someone else and a box with your stuff in front of it.

Good luck.

SK

what is your contract?

if no contract customary is the number of vacation weeks you get (as a bare min) - typically 4 is the least amount I would give for an reasonable notice..... BUT  they are turfing you to hire a doc...

honestly - you are not getting fired - you are being laid off - and you need to document this - it can be as simple as a nice professional typed letter from you to the practice confirming that you are to be laid off as of Oct 30, 2016 for the fact that your position was eliminated due to the new doc hire.

As long as they don't contest it you are merely being laid off - NEVER agree to be fired - will follow you for ever....

As for the notice in this situation - more important then getting out of there is leaving as a professional - take every hour of vacation, sick and personal time you can, and stay working through the 30th of Oct (only about 8 weeks away anyways...)

If it is a truly toxic work place, then you have to decide what to do....  but pulling the rug out by a "I quit on the spot" just makes you look bad.....  unless it is justified...

what is your contract?

if no contract customary is the number of vacation weeks you get (as a bare min) - typically 4 is the least amount I would give for an reasonable notice..... BUT  they are turfing you to hire a doc...

honestly - you are not getting fired - you are being laid off - and you need to document this - it can be as simple as a nice professional typed letter from you to the practice confirming that you are to be laid off as of Oct 30, 2016 for the fact that your position was eliminated due to the new doc hire.

As long as they don't contest it you are merely being laid off - NEVER agree to be fired - will follow you for ever....

As for the notice in this situation - more important then getting out of there is leaving as a professional - take every hour of vacation, sick and personal time you can, and stay working through the 30th of Oct (only about 8 weeks away anyways...)

If it is a truly toxic work place, then you have to decide what to do....  but pulling the rug out by a "I quit on the spot" just makes you look bad.....  unless it is justified...

Agree with this post big time.  Get a letter from them explaining and perhaps softening the reason for your own records.  If possible...

To answer your original question, I have never given less then 30 days.  30 days is what is referred to as "professional curtesy".

Agree with this post big time.  Get a letter from them explaining and perhaps softening the reason for your own records.  If possible...

To answer your original question, I have never given less then 30 days.  30 days is what is referred to as "professional curtesy".

I always struggle offering  "professional courtesy" when the company is acting in an unprofessional way.....

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I haven't decided what to do yet and honestly it's really stressing me out. The environment is pretty toxic.

I would also never walk out of any job. I just don't know how more weeks I can't stand. Of course I could do it if I had to. The question is : do I and should I based on the environment?

My city has a very compact health care community. Word travels fast. That's why I'm documenting conversations.

Ventana- I liked your idea of writing a letter. I will use that.

Find a new job and then make your decision.  If the new job needs you to start in 1 week, then that is the amount of notice you give.  Yes, "professional courtesy" may suggest otherwise, but they have treated you unprofessionally.  I would never suggest just walking out the door, but there is no reason you need to cater to them and give them 2+ weeks.

Also, I agree the letter is extremely important.  It would be even better if you could get a positive statement regarding your work as well as stating you were "laid off."

Disclaimer: I am currently a second year PA student looking for a job, but have had a career prior to PA school.

Archived