2016 - 2017 Application Cycle.

No, this cycle was my first interview. My undergrad gpa was terrible, so I got a masters. That gpa was a 3.5. I have about 5500 Health care hours.

I have about 5,220 hours myself. My overall undergrad GPA is only a 3.2/3.3.  I noticed that they will take the graduate level GPA instead. I might be starting a master's program in October to boost my GPA if I don't get an interview in the new cycle. 

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your stats are great! Yeah that's the exact reason why I got a masters. There was no way I could do anything about my undergrad gpa. Fun fact, I think you only need 10 graduate credit hours to get you gpa replaced. So you may not need to even finish the degree and pay a million more dollars.

Your stats are great! Yeah that's the exact reason why I got a masters. There was no way I could do anything about my undergrad gpa. Fun fact, I think you only need 10 graduate credit hours to get you gpa replaced. So you may not need to even finish the degree and pay a million more dollars.

It was great enough for an interview this year. It's kind of unprofessional that they waited this late to start accepting/rejecting people. Now applicants don't have enough time to prepare properly for the next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you guys set on UT? Honestly with the degree being in biomedical science with a concentration on pa studies, it bars one from some military/government pay back options from what I understand. Also, it's status is probationary, I know this can mean many different things. I know this generally isn't as dangerous as it sounds, but it could be, based on the probationary factor. Plus the application process is such a rollercoaster. For an October caspa deadline, it is not unreasonable to expect more informative updates before the next year's cycle opens! No one needs more stress than what the process already demands. Heck, I applied to Eastern Michigan, and within 2-3 months they gave me a personal phone call telling me that there were about 1200 applicants, and gave me a rejection and feedback about my application.

Loved the campus, it is near home, and have been going toward this goal for several years now. I really want to be a PA, but the application process, and the competitiveness​ is ludicrous. I think med schools are almost easier to get into. :(

I agree with -pmk76. 100%.

the campus is really nice and the facilities are superb. I don't plan on going into any type of governmental work, so that's not a concern for me! ???? I want to go to UT so bad it hurts. Every time my phone rings my heart skips a beat. ????????

NEHoosier- I was also concerned about the PA concentration degree, but unless you plan on practicing outside of Ohio, that shouldn't really be a concern. Also, many UTPA graduates are practicing in many states without a problem. If you know where you ultimately would like to end up after you graduate, check and see if you'd be able to practice in that state with the degree that UT offers. It would be sad if you finished up and weren't allowed to practice because the degree wasn't recognized, although I'm sure many states accept it. In regards to the probationary status, a ton of programs are on probation. As long as the faculty is ready, willing, and determined to fix the problem, then the probationary status should lift in time. If it's a major concern, maybe consider asking how they plan on addressing the issue and for a clarification on why it's on probation.

I myself interviewed at UT in the beginning of March and the faculty, especially the program director, were so friendly and excited. I really liked the PA floor. It looked brand new. The facilities were very nice and the students did a great job showing us around and answering questions!

Anyone get any news?

I haven't heard one way or the other yet. No acceptance call, no waitlist/rejection email. But I know they have a lot of people to get through and very limited time throughout the day.

I enjoyed the interview, the faculty and our student guide were great! I thought the facilities were very modern and realistic. I've applied other places, but I would be very happy with getting in here! It's only 3-3.5 hours from where I currently live and I just enjoyed everything about the day. I was concerned with the actual degree you graduate with, but like what was mentioned above, each state has different requirements and if you're willing to work in an underserved area exceptions might be able to be accommodated with certain restrictions.

Just trying to stay positive at this point!

Are you guys set on UT? Honestly with the degree being in biomedical science with a concentration on pa studies, it bars one from some military/government pay back options from what I understand. Also, it's status is probationary, I know this can mean many different things. I know this generally isn't as dangerous as it sounds, but it could be, based on the probationary factor. Plus the application process is such a rollercoaster. For an October caspa deadline, it is not unreasonable to expect more informative updates before the next year's cycle opens! No one needs more stress than what the process already demands. Heck, I applied to Eastern Michigan, and within 2-3 months they gave me a personal phone call telling me that there were about 1200 applicants, and gave me a rejection and feedback about my application.

The degree concentration does not bar anyone from practicing, or payback from any branch of the military. Many of the students graduating from here go back to their home State. Even one of the recent graduates is joining the Army in the near future. Army is offering 75k sign on bonus to PAs. Biomedical science degree is just like any other PA degree. It is even better because it means we are taught under the true medical model. A great majority of our professors here are the same professors the med students have. Other programs have just PAs teaching classes.

So I was able to get ahold of Roni today, and she said they still will be making calls for another couple of weeks if I understood correctly.

I hope so! I think the waiting game is the worst part of all of this!

I guess a few years ago UT sent out an email around 4/17 saying they had filled the 45 spots and that as people turned down seats they would begin moving to the waitlist, so I guess they're quite busy this year! Still holding on to hope! 

I applied to another school that doesn't start sending interview invites until late May and June, which is crazy! 

Hoping to hear soon one way or the other!

Actually, I think like three of them are first years because they posted about helping us with any questions. So I still think it's early in the acceptance! Hope you guys get the call.

3 members on the facebook page are current students. 2 of them are second year students and 1 is in first year. 

Just wanted to keep everyone informed. I got my official acceptance in the mail this morning and it said if you don't respond within two weeks to confirm they will remove you. The date on the letter was April 14, so I assume within two weeks of the 14th, they will make more calls if people don't respond.

Archived