Advice to be more competitive?

Guest kennypowers

Guest kennypowers

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a non healthcare position and have been for years. That said, my heart has always been in medicine and I finally decided that if I have another 40 years of work left in me, it isn't too late to follow my passion.

*Technically, it is for some schools, as certain classes are over 10 years old =P

I plan to take an accelerated Gen Bio I and II at a community college this fall [to satisfy some pre-requisites].

Now, here's my dilemma. What should be my primary focus in Spring if I want to apply next Summer?

Let's assume I have acquired 1,000 hours of experience by then and a decent GRE score.

Should I retake Anat and Phys, as they are my oldest classes (2007/2008)? I got a B in both; however, I later took a 400 level Physiology class and earned an A.

*Anat and Phys is also a pre-req at every program, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to obtain an A to prove I'm better than my freshman self?

OR

Should I retake an Orgo class and hope for an A (which, when averaged, should bring my Orgo up to a 3.0).

OR

Take other avenues I haven't considered.

I REALLY want this, but I do feel the pressure of the clock ticking, given how many years I have been out of school and some of my grades. The passion is there, and after so many years building a professional work ethic, I can confidently say it has made me a better student. I just don't want to be ignored because of how I look on paper.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated and I thank anyone who took the time to read this.

• Administrator

1,000 hours is minimally competitive, but you're going to need to work both HCE and GPA in parallel, because while your GPA is mediocre, your HCE is nonexistent.  The programs that take people with minimal to no HCE also seem to be the ones who demand med-school like prerequisites and stellar GPAs.

It's never too late to go back to school, and, once you manage to complete a PA program, a strong IT background means anyone with an EMR will want to hire you. BUT, it may take a year or two longer to get there than your initial plan.

Guest kennypowers

Thank you for the prompt response, rev ronin! Even after I apply next summer, I will continue taking classes and increasing HCE hours in preparation for applying in 2018. That said, I do want to focus (scholastically) on what will give me even the slightest improvement in my chances for next summer.

Would the later 400 level Physiology class count for the prerequisite? I would contact some of the schools you are interested in and ask them. If this is the case, you'll be able to use that A for that prerequisite. I don't know which schools you're looking at but a lot of the programs I plan on applying to don't necessarily require Orgo, it certainly looks better to have it because it is a challenging class but a lot of the time they require either Biochemistry or Orgo or sometimes just General Chemistry.

Also, the GPA won't be calculated out by each subject like that, it'll be a total science GPA and I believe the schools often calculate a prerequisite GPA (not sure if CASPA does it or the individual school, I'm still in the process of preparing to apply). Physics and orgo then will count towards your science GPA but they won't count towards your prereq GPA (unless the school requires Orgo). Physio and Anat definitely count so if you want to take any classes I would at least take Anatomy again and get an A. If your upper level Physio counts, then you may consider retaking Orgo as it will at least raise your science GPA. That or you could take some other challenging science courses and it will have the same effect. You may even want to retake inorganic chem to show that you can do better in that too. 

Most importantly though, make sure all of your prerequisites are in the time frame that the school requires. If they are older, that will automatically reject you before they can even consider whether you got a B or an A in a class. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that at this point, raising your science GPA a significant amount will likely be difficult since you already have so many units, even if you got all A's in the classes you retake. I think your GPA could use a little improvement but make sure you don't write off the HCE. Going above and beyond with that, rather than focusing on a few classes that might only slightly help your GPA may be more beneficial but thats something you'll have to decide. Whatever you do, make sure your HCE is valuable and gives you something to talk about with passion as in an interview you can easily draw attention away from your grades and towards your experiences if they were meaningful.

Good luck!

I gather you are about 28 with little healthcare experience. You are ten years ahead of me; I started getting HCE at 38 and had no biological sciences in my earlier degree programs. In contrast, your clock isn't even wound up yet, let alone ticking!

There is a lot of variability in requirements school to school, including how old a class can be before it needs to be repeated. You will need HCE (again, different schools require different amounts, plus HCE helps insure that you are going to be happy caring for patients -- not necessarily a slam dunk).  Different schools have different requirements there as well. Hundreds of hours at least; some schools want more and some less.

This puts a premium on researching schools and visiting at least some of them. I found academic coordinators to be quite helpful. I went to one program with my wife and a young paramedic who was also interested in the school; the coordinator assumed that my wife and I were her parents! We quickly cleared up that misconception and learned a lot about what was needed and the features of their program. I ended up going there.

As far as classes, you are now 5 years out of school. You are not the same person. I would be inclined to take upper level courses and let those grades demonstrate the fact that you have matured. I wouldn't be repeated C's from 6-7 years ago, unless you need to because the grades are going to age off your record.

I went from an engineering job to PA school, thanks to many years as a volunteer and part-time paid EMT and paramedic  for 9-1-1 services, which I did while I continued to do my day job and take classes (mainly in community college) at night. The total package was an experience of a lifetime. Given that, I would forget about the ticking clock and enjoy the journey. What you want to do is doable and you've got time. 

Don't panic, and good luck!

Guest kennypowers

Would the later 400 level Physiology class count for the prerequisite? I would contact some of the schools you are interested in and ask them. If this is the case, you'll be able to use that A for that prerequisite. I don't know which schools you're looking at but a lot of the programs I plan on applying to don't necessarily require Orgo, it certainly looks better to have it because it is a challenging class but a lot of the time they require either Biochemistry or Orgo or sometimes just General Chemistry.

Also, the GPA won't be calculated out by each subject like that, it'll be a total science GPA and I believe the schools often calculate a prerequisite GPA (not sure if CASPA does it or the individual school, I'm still in the process of preparing to apply). Physics and orgo then will count towards your science GPA but they won't count towards your prereq GPA (unless the school requires Orgo). Physio and Anat definitely count so if you want to take any classes I would at least take Anatomy again and get an A. If your upper level Physio counts, then you may consider retaking Orgo as it will at least raise your science GPA. That or you could take some other challenging science courses and it will have the same effect. You may even want to retake inorganic chem to show that you can do better in that too. 

Most importantly though, make sure all of your prerequisites are in the time frame that the school requires. If they are older, that will automatically reject you before they can even consider whether you got a B or an A in a class. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that at this point, raising your science GPA a significant amount will likely be difficult since you already have so many units, even if you got all A's in the classes you retake. I think your GPA could use a little improvement but make sure you don't write off the HCE. Going above and beyond with that, rather than focusing on a few classes that might only slightly help your GPA may be more beneficial but thats something you'll have to decide. Whatever you do, make sure your HCE is valuable and gives you something to talk about with passion as in an interview you can easily draw attention away from your grades and towards your experiences if they were meaningful.

Good luck!

It could possibly satisfy one and then my combined A&P I + II would satisfy the other. Regardless, A&P are my oldest classes and pre-requisites, so I think it would benefit me to retake them for 1. Proof that I am capable of an A (I really have no excuse for the B's), and 2.Show that my knowledge/exposure to Anatomy is current.

I am only applying to schools that have a 10 year maximum, so I'll have to retake at least one A&P if I apply in 2018.

Given that I cannot drastically alter my science GPA, I've decided to focus on pre-requisites in order of age/grade. This fall I will try to take Orgo, and in the Spring of 2017 I will redo my ancient A&P classes.

HCE is absolutely another huge priority (and desire! I'm excited to be even somewhat involved in the field). I will be attending a meeting in two weeks to discuss becoming a volunteer EMT. The process will take a few months and some departments aren't accepting volunteers at the moment, but I'm really hoping it works out.

I appreciate your good advice! This forum has been amazing.

I gather you are about 28 with little healthcare experience. You are ten years ahead of me; I started getting HCE at 38 and had no biological sciences in my earlier degree programs. In contrast, your clock isn't even wound up yet, let alone ticking!

There is a lot of variability in requirements school to school, including how old a class can be before it needs to be repeated. You will need HCE (again, different schools require different amounts, plus HCE helps insure that you are going to be happy caring for patients -- not necessarily a slam dunk).  Different schools have different requirements there as well. Hundreds of hours at least; some schools want more and some less.

This puts a premium on researching schools and visiting at least some of them. I found academic coordinators to be quite helpful. I went to one program with my wife and a young paramedic who was also interested in the school; the coordinator assumed that my wife and I were her parents! We quickly cleared up that misconception and learned a lot about what was needed and the features of their program. I ended up going there.

As far as classes, you are now 5 years out of school. You are not the same person. I would be inclined to take upper level courses and let those grades demonstrate the fact that you have matured. I wouldn't be repeated C's from 6-7 years ago, unless you need to because the grades are going to age off your record.

I went from an engineering job to PA school, thanks to many years as a volunteer and part-time paid EMT and paramedic  for 9-1-1 services, which I did while I continued to do my day job and take classes (mainly in community college) at night. The total package was an experience of a lifetime. Given that, I would forget about the ticking clock and enjoy the journey. What you want to do is doable and you've got time. 

Don't panic, and good luck!

Close! I'm 27. I am looking for schools with a 10 year maximum and PCE hours under 1,000 (which, I hope to greatly surpass if I end up having to apply in 2018).

That story is quite terrible and funny at the same time =P

Some of my repeats would also be due to age (as expressed above, A&P is old and should be refreshed anyway so my exposure is more current). Some of the schools do require Orgo, and even though they accept a "C" minimum, I owe it to myself to do better than that.

Thank you so much for your personal experience. I will continue to work full time, take weekend college classes, and volunteer in my spare time. I think the hard work and sacrifice will only help to make me a stronger individual.

(I've posted this in another thread just to get more advice from different people so sorry for repeating it!)

Hello All,

I thought I'd continue in on this post with my own stats. I hope I'm not butting in and would like some advice from everyone, please.

Undergrad (Associates of Science in Health Science): Queensborough community college (Overall GPA: 3.27)

Undergrad (Bachelors of Arts in Psychology): CUNY Queens College Overall (GPA: 3.01)

cGPA (using CASPAs method) with both schools combined: 3.02

sGPA (using CASPAs method) with both schools combined: 3.01 (after I finish the current class, Neurology of Pain, and get an A, otherwise it's a 2.97)

I have had 2 Fs from my freshman year in 2008 (Bio 1 and intro to chem) because I was immature.

Cell Bio: C (never retook)

Patho: B-

First time I took Chem 1 I got a D (Lab A-). I retook it and got a C+ and this was due to sustaining a herniated disc (i was in severe pain so couldn't study) and then my grandmother passed away.

Orgo 1: B

Everything else (Everything was at a community college except Biochem):

Bio 1 and 2: A- and B+

A&p 1 and 2: A- and B+

Microbio: A-

Genetics: A-

Chem 1 (retake at a community college) and 2: A and A

Biochem w/ lab: A

Intro to Orgo: A-

Intro to Chem: A

I've also taken a class called Professional Physician Assistant, which was a class explaining the roles of PAs (got an A) and I've taken Medical terminology, which I got an A in as well but I know won't be included in my sGPA.

HCE: so far 3800 hours of volunteer EMT experience

Shadowing PAs: So far 137 hours (75 at one hospital and 62 hours at another but both in the ER)

Honors/Awards: Been on the deans list for 3 semesters

Haven't taken the GRE and I know a professor and my EMT supervisor who will give me a LOR. I have to complete 100 hours at the other hospital where I have 62 hours to get a LOR from a PA. 

I will be applying next year but now I'm limited to schools since my 5 years of science class for Bio 1 and a&p 1 have reached and I don't have the GRE. 

What are my chances of PA school? What else can I do to better my application now?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Prepare for and take the GRE. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Some of your older grades clearly weren't good. You could retake some of them or take higher level courses to show that you can do the work now.

An EMT with a hx of a herniated disc? Be careful! Keep adding to your HCE.

Do you have a job now? Consider getting an LOR there that talks about what kind of worker you are.

Good luck!

Prepare for and take the GRE. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Some of your older grades clearly weren't good. You could retake some of them or take higher level courses to show that you can do the work now.

An EMT with a hx of a herniated disc? Be careful! Keep adding to your HCE.

Do you have a job now? Consider getting an LOR there that talks about what kind of worker you are.

Good luck!

Yes, it's not that bad until I carry down a heavy patient but other than that it doesn't hurt. It's weird because my pain stopped after carrying down a patient from the stairs! I was baffled. I do not work, but I've gotten a job offer for an EMT position at a hospital, which I most likely will take just to keep adding on more HCE while volunteering. 

Do you think retaking cell bio would help? I really don't want to take extra classes since I've graduated and now have to pay as a nonmatriculated student, which is expensive, unless I get the job. I know I should study hard for the GRE but I don't want to take it and do poorly making my chances to get in even more slim but if you think it'll be helpful I'll start preparing now. Any good textbooks/sources you'd recommend?

Thank you for the advice!

Archived